[SIGN UP small game] Smurf Mafia

Kennigit

proud 2 boxer
Smurfette's Box: Releasing the Evils of Smurf

Simply put, the Smurf village was once a happy and peaceful place--until the creation of Smurfette. Paralleling Pandora from the greek myth, she was molded from the Earth and eventually releases the evils of the world; her charms and beauty "cause jealousy and competition among the Smurfs in order to cause their fall..... causing chaos among the Smurfs who competed, fighting against each other to win Smurfette's heart".

However, when Smurfette is stolen from the village, the Smurfs unite together to get back their Smurfette. Little do they know what troubles they will endure....

See posts below for gameplay and rules!​

Players
1. Xenoneb
2. Zack
3. JoanK
4. turquoiside
5. MartinLuther
6. Choxorn
7. Daveshack
8. Ninjacow64
9. Mat93
10. Jarrema
11. Autolycus.
12. Civcube
13. topsecret
14. johnhughthom
15. Optical
16. Dreadnought
17. Earthling
18. ATPG
19. robbiecon
20. bsmith
-------------technical small game limit
21. Verarde
22. azzaman

Reserves:
elitewarman

The game is currently planned for 23 roles. However, I can start with 20 (the official small game limit) or less if no one really signs up any number. I can extend the number of roles to any number past 20-23 if people want to play, as all it would take is adding proportional amount of mafia and generic more smurf roles (see role discussion)

The intention is to start sometime after Starcraft Mafia ends.

The intention is to start Sunday Sep 30 around 12:00 noon EDT for the "night 0" phase.

Overview of Gameplay (victory, Smurfette basics, roles)

(A) Who is Smurfette? and Victory Conditions
Spoiler :

Smurfette is an NPC (Non playable character) that everyone in the smurf village is fighting over.

This is a town vs mafia game.
The town comprises of the smurfs of the Smurfville. The mafia comprise of outsiders to the smurf village as well as could include smurfs in the village.

The Smurfs have to get rid off all non-Smurfs/scum and get back the NPC Smurfette to win the game, thus restoring smurfville back to normal.

There is more than 1 mafia faction competing for smurfette as well. To keep things simple, the victory condition of the mafia is to eliminate everyone else (and thus take smurfette for themselves).Only 1 mafia faction can win--either the town Smurfs win, or one of the mafia do.

(B) Possession of Smurfette and Smurfette's Benefits
Spoiler :

1 player at a time is allocated "possession" of smurfette. That person's abilities/status is boosted when in possession of smurfette. There are no RNG odd based abilities . For instance, if you have an abilitiy that is every EVEN night, possession of smurfette may let you use the ability on EVEN AND ODD nights.

Generally, when the person who possesses smurfette dies smurfette will be put up for vote (to keep things simple); i.e. the villagers kind of agree "smurfette can be protected by X tonight" since they know that smurfville is under attack. However, there are going to be ways for anyone to "Steal" smurfette anonymously, possibly during any phase (just take smurfette even if she was up for vote). This also prevents the obvious problem of mafia just killing whoever owns smurfette every night in a silly attempt to get smurfette for themselves, or having specified thieving ability which also would just target whoever gets voted smurfette.

I'll let smurfette count just as any other item, i.e. transferable as per item rules--see next post.

(C) Allocation of smurfette and "Night 0"
Spoiler :

The game starts at night 0. No abilities are used night 0; it is purely for the allocation of Smurfette. Smurfette starts out just belonging to the "village". The mafia basically have a choice of either trying to steal smurfette from the village (only 1 faction would get it), or opt out to do some sort of permanent ability upgrade night 0 (or an option to hurt the village, or an option to be given vital information to them, etc).

So, the mafia have a "risk not getting anything to try to get a bigger benefit, or get a guaranteed smaller benefit" night 0. There is no night kill for night 0. If the mafia all opt out of trying to take smurfette night 0, then the town gets her and get bigger benefits because of it (and she will be randomly assigned to one townie member).

A townie role will also be given a choice night 0 of some benefits to the town.

(D) Roles
Spoiler :

Every smurf will get a role PM of what smurf he is from the comic (there is a handy list on wikipedia with like at least 50). That makes it extremely easy to extend the game to any number, as I just slap on a couple more mafia (make teams of 3 per se) and then add general smurfs townie roles, depending on the number. The mafia are not necessarily from the smurf village. I will say that if the game gets larger than anticipated (or smaller) I will adjust accordingly

Each mafia will also be given a few names of smurfs not in the game so they can make up a cover role/claim a smurf. I will allow them the freedom to make up whatever they want amongst themselves. Each mafia will be given a different list of smurfs so that there is not overlap between the mafia; i.e. if the mafia know "Brainy smurf" is not in the game and someone claims brainy smurf, the mafia knows the other person is mafia. That will not happen.

Role assignment is random

Details of Gameplay--HP, items, voting, death

(E) HP System
Spoiler :

This game will incorporate an HP system. Every character will have a health amount out of 100 Hit Points. You cannot go over 100 HP (the max is 100/100 HP). You die when you reach 0/100 HP.

No one begins with 100 HP.

There is no "base HP" modifier. No items will be "add 50% of base (Starting) HP".

The most basic item in the game is the Smurf Berry, which will give +5 HP. There will be smurf berries up for vote every day. Other items/Smurfette/abilities can affect HP.

There are no random events in the game that will effect HP, and there are no randomness to health (like a 1d8+2 potion or something, for you dnd/roleplaying games players out there). If an item/abilities restores/adds/whatever to health, it is preset and someone knows it (via item description or ability description or something).

(F) Items
Spoiler :

There are a few items in the game. Some items function like the smurf berry (+5 HP), some items grant abilities, some items have limited usage no matter if it changes hands/whatever ("3 uses in the game")--obviously a smurf berry is a 1 time consumable item. There is not too many items in the game/many are consumable or limited usage, as I want to keep things fairly simple. Some items can be used in the day, some at night, some both (obvious example is basic smurf berry; I will allow you to eat smurf berries in the day phase).

Smurf berries take effect when you eat them.

It will be specified, but the restrictions on item usage is fairly obvious/standard for gameplay mechanics. I.e. if you possess an item that can give a vigilante ability and an item that gives a scan, you can only use 1 that night phase. You can eat whatever berries you want want, etc, in conjunction with say a scanning item.

Again, no item is RNG based. However, if you try to use an item fail to successfully use the item it still counts against the usage. I.e. if you have 2 uses on a "2 time use vigilante item for 30 damage" or something and get roleblocked/use it on someone who got protected/get killed while using the item, the item still goes to having 1 use left.

Another major factor with items in games is that you have to prevent the end game (where everyone can have like 3 items each) as being weird. You can limit it by having specific types of items (like one handed slot, head slot, two handed slot, etc). But for this game I think some items will exist only to be in use with other items, or be specific to characters. (eg: "having Brainy Smurf's glasses and tracker smurfs stick to be able to have 1 role scan. Usable by Brainy Smurf or Tracker smurf only). Having possession of smurfette could eliminate such conditions (brainy or tracker need only 1 item, or allowing a different smurf to use the ability).

Some items cannot be used by the mafia. No one is "Better" or "more proficient" with an item, i.e. a smurf berry is +5 HP regardless who uses it. However, again some items are usable only by some.

Generally, if you receive an item you cannot use (i.e. Brainy smurf's glasses or something), you just get told "you cannot use this item" rather than what the item does or who can use it. However, the vast majority of items you can guess the function--things are not magical or whatever (if you receive "a medpack kit" you can guess it'd be for a healing role/doctor or something)

(G) Item transfer and showing
Spoiler :

Any item transfers/trades occur at the end of the phase the transfer tries to occur. I'll follow the general rule that if an item transfer from Person A to Person B, Person A needs to send a PM "I will send [this item] to Person B" and Person B needs to send a PM "I will receive an item from Person A".

I will also let item showing occur; you do not have to show all items that you possess. Person A can say "I will show person B [this item]", person B will send "I will look at an item from person A", and person B will receive a brief description of the item.

There may be arbitrary fake/useless items as well
; however that will be in the item description for whoever possesses it. The person seeing the item does not know this (gets basic physical description).

Smurfette will count as a normal item for these purposes (Transfer/showing)

I'll let people put up items anonymously for vote if they want to do that. It will be put up for vote the next day phase after the PM (i.e. you can put an item up for vote on day 3 on day 2. It will be stored in the Smurfville Vault overnight). This is not applicable to Smurfette.

(H) Voting
Spoiler :

Every day phase there is a vote for possibly some items (generally some smurfberries will be up for vote each day) and the lynch vote.

The options are to vote or abstain. No lynch is not an option.

Please bold votes. I don't really care about unvoting--tallies will be done by posting "voting is closed" and going backwards from there, entering your latest vote into a spreadsheet. So I don't care if you voted 127 times, your last vote should be entered into the spreadsheet.

Tentatively, every single vote is worth......
  • 7 HP for 18-23 players alive
  • 9 HP for 12-17 players alive
  • 12 HP for 7-11 players alive
  • 16 HP for 4-7 players alive, with an option to have "No contest" lynch. The unopposed lynch option is tagged on to your vote--i.e. "vote Player X; No contest. If the lynch result for X people alive is (X-1):1, then person is lynched with "no contest" i.e. automatically.

Eg: 5 people alive, lynch tally is 4-1. If all 4 of the people voted "No contest" the 1 person will be lynched regardless of their HP, since they could have more than 64 HP (4*16). If there is 1 scum alive and 4 people alive, I don't want a lynch result of 3-1 against the scum resulting in the scum just survivng and somehow winning the game via night actions. If everyone knows he is the last scum and the vote is everyone vs him, I think the scum should just get lynched. This is separate from any lynch-stopping abilities/items; this is purely for damage purposes. If the scum had managed to get himself voted a lynch stopping item and never used it, I think it is fair to let the scum survive.
  • 70 HP for 3 players alive. This is an automatic lynch unless someone has either a lynch stopping ability or something that is like "take 1/2 damage". Even 1/2 damage for a 2-1 vote would still be 70 HP. I think this is fair. If its 2 town vs 1 scum but the scum somehow got himself such an item and somehow got up to >70 HP, I think it's fair he can win the game even if the other 2 know 100% he is the last scum.
  • If 2 players are alive and it is a scum vs townie, the scum wins. If 2 players are alive and both are scum, whoever possesses smurfette wins. If no one possesses smurfette, I'll have to do whoever has more HP left.

If there is a tie in the vote, all people who are tied take the full damage.

I may want to tweak these numbers; but as an HP game I believe it is essential to make sure that HP still dictates the lynch at all points in the game, except for like 3 people alive. I think the numbers are fairly good:
18-23 people 10 votes does 70 damage. (7*10)
12-17 people 8 votes does 72 damage. (8*9)
7-11 people 6 votes does 72 damage. (6*12)
4-7 people 4 votes does 64 damage. (4*16)

I think those are reasonable amounts; people may just survive the lynch due to high HP, but a solid chunk of damage is always possible by the majority. People will be taking small little damages here and there, and smurf berries will also heal people here and there. It is easily possible someone starting with 30 HP can go up to 60 HP and someone starting with 80 HP can be nitpicked down to 60 HP.

Any changes to HP votes would have to be notified to the players well in advance. Namely, I won't really mess with it except for maybe the last vote could be changed from 70 HP to 60 or 50 HP.

(I) Death
Spoiler :

when you die you are dead. thanks for playing! a dead quicktopic will be provided for all dead people. I'll let people who die day or nights 1-2 choose to become a replacement if they want if they had a suitable role (I will not allow mafia to come back since they know too much); people dead night 1-2 will not be given the dead quicktopic in death PM. They can choose to get the standard death package at any time (if they initially said they could be a replacement and day 4 rolls around and they just want the standard death package, they can get it).

people who die day 3 or later are not going to be replacements.

Dead people cannot post in game thread. Or at least, they cannot post anything other than inane statements.

Rules and other/Tl;dr

(J) Rules
Spoiler :

Tentatively, the rules are basic. I've never really seen standard basic rule violations in games of mafia, so I'm not worried:

1. No screenshots or quoting/forwarding any PM from the GM. Obviously some PMs are simple--i.e. "you roleblocked X last night successfully"--so you can quote it but no screenshots or forwarding that PM to anyone else. Just be reasonable.

No giving any quicktopic links given to you by the GM to other people.
2. Private communication is 100% unrestricted. make whatever quicktopics you want, PM whoever you want, go on IRC chat with whoever you want, etc. But all of these things are under rule (1) above. You can make your own quicktopic, but do not give a GM-sanctioned quicktopic to anyone not authorized.
3. Be nice! People are free to lie so don't take anything too personally.
4. Missing a vote gives you a warning. After 2 warning you're booted out (either replaced or Wogged). If you post in that phase more than once you don't get a warning.
5. you can send in future night orders if you know you'll miss a night or something.
6. Don't edit votes in posts. You can edit for grammar.

(K) Too long, didn't read
1) Town vs mafia with more than 1 mafia faction
2) some items and HP system is used (most items are consumed, i.e. like 1-3 uses)
3) no RNG odds
4) Smurfette is an NPC that everyone is "fighting" over.
5) Game flexible to change with however many want to sign up (can go with 20, 23 (current design), or let more people join).
6) No knowledge of smurfs is necessary. In fact, I know nothing about smurfs myself.

yeah okay post if you want.

Feel free to ask any questions or suggestions. I think I have everything I wanted to say, but may have missed something or worded poorly.

Innaging

Insert pun here.

I will put this in the queue later.

I wanted to make a break at playing mafia, but I must be in

btw I don't know if that's an in or not classical hero. and that post is especially not characteristic of you.

La-la-lalala In.

Top Bottom