Single Player bugs and crashes v36 download - After the 24th of October 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why it didn't proceed with Joe's 8992 patch but did on TB's game.

I was able to play 2 or 3 turns so far with the latest save TB returned (see post #190), so am crossing my fingers it will continue without issue.

I believe I found the reason for the sudden increase in crime rates though. Apparently all my TW and Apollonian Guards lost all their Policing promos. I think this has to do with the fact that I hadn't researched Dualism yet, where TW are now placed (along with the crime building).

BTW, I also built a new Apollonian Guard and he didn't have a starting Policing promo either. Was Policing 1 removed from their special ability? If so, the History text still says they get it. I think this rather makes them the least desirable unique unit in the game even if they did get some other law enforcement ability (see question below).

Lastly, I presume the 'cultural revolt protection' is some sort of defense vs. the spy (and other units?) ability to cause unrest.

Today, ver.8998

I'm going to place your link in the v36 Crime Patch OP so more players can get it. Not all are conditioned to look for "Patches" in this thread.

And I'll delete my "old" one.

JosEPh

I don't know why it didn't proceed with Joe's 8992 patch but did on TB's game.

I was able to play 2 or 3 turns so far with the latest save TB returned (see post #190), so am crossing my fingers it will continue without issue.

I believe I found the reason for the sudden increase in crime rates though. Apparently all my TW and Apollonian Guards lost all their Policing promos. I think this has to do with the fact that I hadn't researched Dualism yet, where TW are now placed (along with the crime building).

BTW, I also built a new Apollonian Guard and he didn't have a starting Policing promo either. Was Policing 1 removed from their special ability? If so, the History text still says they get it. I think this rather makes them the least desirable unique unit in the game even if they did get some other law enforcement ability (see question below).
All units that once had a free Policing I promo have had that now removed. But by being Law Enforcement by Combat Class they do all get access to Policing promos and more. The Apollonian is a very strong unit for a law enforcement unit is it not? Therefore, although it may not be 'perfect' for performing both defense and law enforcement at once, it's absolutely an excellent unit to use for arresting wanted criminals or for attacking them when seen outside the city.

Lastly, I presume the 'cultural revolt protection' is some sort of defense vs. the spy (and other units?) ability to cause unrest.
Remember back when it was possible to have cultural revolts in CivIV? It's back and much more possible now. But cultural revolt protection can reduce or ensure that it won't take place. Thing is, there are criminal units that have the ability to reduce revolt protection by being in the city so a concerted effort of getting them in there to reduce the revolt protection on an opponent city that has more of your culture than your opponent does can quickly force the city to revolt in you favor.

It's therefore a 2 step process now: Flood the city with your culture and then send in the criminals to overwhelm the existing revolt protection that's there. Law Enforcement units provide a solid base for defending against this but Entertainer units can specialize in countering that second step by swelling up their cultural revolt promos and heading to the city in contest.

I find it easier to kill those guys before they get in my city. Dogs with sense range promo and horsemen or chariots to reach them before they get inside

I find it easier to kill those guys before they get in my city. Dogs with sense range promo and horsemen or chariots to reach them before they get inside

LE units can now attack and would be just as well if not better suited to now. If the Appolonian cannot, let me know. Might be that particular unit needs a few adjustments.

Haven't had to yet. The chariots and horsemen have the advantage of more movement to reach them before they get in range of the city. Now on a contested border, where they could move from the other side's territory into my city... haven't had that situation.

Bug with tiles that can´t be used by cities.
SVN Version

Hello.

I have noticed a bug thats been in the SVN version since sometime before christmas.
Last seen in a version updated a couple of days ago.

Sometimes cities get tiles that are unusable in inzoomed mode. I don´t use any automation in cities thats why i´ve noticed it.
//My guess is that it has something to do with camoflagued units that are blocking the tile at first, then the tile stay unusablly even if there is no unit on that tile.

BR Loffas

Bug with tiles that can´t be used by cities.
SVN Version

Hello.

I have noticed a bug thats been in the SVN version since sometime before christmas.
Last seen in a version updated a couple of days ago.

Sometimes cities get tiles that are unusable in inzoomed mode. I don´t use any automation in cities thats why i´ve noticed it.
//My guess is that it has something to do with camoflagued units that are blocking the tile at first, then the tile stay unusablly even if there is no unit on that tile.

BR Loffas
I just made an adjustment that should fix this. Can you verify if it has or not?

Got a crash back to desktop during waiting period. Repeated it twice so far, so all in all in 3 attempts I get a crash back to desktop while waiting for other civs to finish their turn.

Save Game:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByqXQuWBpTomcGxPNmwxUHlwSmM/view?usp=sharing

Dumb File
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByqXQuWBpTomM25sMEhtdjFya2M/view?usp=sharing

1) Please just 7zip the file and upload it here. There is ONE fileshare site I trust and that is Mediafire. That's it. Won't open anything else. 2 times I've gotten viruses on this computer and both times its been from fileshare links with this intention.

2) Try updating to the latest SVN version before posting a crash. If it's already been fixed, it'll be alright then. If not, then you'll need to get the latest SVN to get the fix after its been resolved. So best to update first before asking me to spend time looking into it.

3) Otherwise I'm more than happy to take a look and I do appreciate such bug reports because I like to do all I can to ensure we have a clean mod.

Ok... if google docs is all it is I can go with that. I can only say mediafire is safe because I've used it reliably myself.

As for the upload, you get a much larger upload limit on a 7zip file than you do on a save.

But this'll work. If you're on the SVN, you perhaps should've posted on the SVN bug thread so I wouldn't have questioned it first ;)

I'll take a look as soon as I can which at this point will be tomorrow evening.

Got a crash back to desktop during waiting period. Repeated it twice so far, so all in all in 3 attempts I get a crash back to desktop while waiting for other civs to finish their turn.

Save Game:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByqXQuWBpTomcGxPNmwxUHlwSmM/view?usp=sharing

Dumb File
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByqXQuWBpTomM25sMEhtdjFya2M/view?usp=sharing

Interestingly, when I sent the turn through the debug analysis, I was able to get through the turn. HOWEVER...

There were 2 potential problem spots. There was a very interesting bug with city being founded on top of an unseen criminal causing a foulup with the settler unit being moved mid-found, screwing up the initiation of the city's initial build queue decisionmaking. This didn't crash the game but it certainly showed an 'issue' that could've potentially let to a problem.

Once repaired, I ran into a message popup stating that there was an illegal use of a background thread. Soooooooo... that was the type of issue that Alberts2 was looking into.

I'm compiling with the fix to the first found bug and I'll test it again without the debug dll. But if it tests fine to me, then I commit that dll, and you update and it still crashes, I must suspect that there's an issue with multithreading that is a little beyond my skills to sort out. However, at that point if you disable multithreading you'd likely be able to get through it.

There's also the possibility that you're running up against something that our differing core option settings may be avoiding the problem for me but hitting it for you. I'm on quick combats and not watching enemy moves. I might get a better idea of this if you can get me a minidump from such a crash AFTER the next commit. Unfortunately, minis are kinda useless if I've already recompiled a new dll from the one you got yours on.

Anyhow... we'll see how this goes.

Thanks for taking a look.
I am not running an SVN-version, what I meant was that I am working on doing so. Sorry, did not mean to mislead you.
Interestingly, when I sent the turn through the debug analysis, I was able to get through the turn. HOWEVER...
What does this mean "sending the turn through the debug analysis"? I am aware that there is a debug mode which can be turned on. Is this what you mean? That you just advanced to the next turn with debug on?
However, at that point if you disable multithreading you'd likely be able to get through it.
How do I do that?

Thanks for taking a look.
I am not running an SVN-version, what I meant was that I am working on doing so. Sorry, did not mean to mislead you.

What does this mean "sending the turn through the debug analysis"? I am aware that there is a debug mode which can be turned on. Is this what you mean? That you just advanced to the next turn with debug on?

How do I do that?

Ah... I would first get the updated SVN version and if you still have problems we can get into that. I don't think you will.

Sending the turn through the debug analysis is a programmer's process that is not easily taught nor learned. It involves reading portions of the code as it plays through it.

Sending the turn through the debug analysis is a programmer's process that is not easily taught nor learned. It involves reading portions of the code as it plays through it.

In the old days, we would do that on paper (following the code on paper, with breakpoints) - destroying many tree's in the process. While running the program on the computer - a step at a time.

I would hate to have do it on screen, flipping between different parts of the code and then checking the registry values - same with profiling. :)

In the old days, we would do that on paper - destroying many tree's in the process.

I would hate to have do it on screen, flipping between different parts of the code and then checking the registry values. :)

Ah, the good old days! When code review involved 4-6 people and was before done the code was allowed to enter the machine. (It was done after design:D)

I'd hate to try to do it on paper! I DID something like that a long time ago but VS gives you hover data on the current states of variables that can be incredibly valuable. I'd have to think it would streamline the process considerably. The more familiar I get with C2C's code the faster it's getting for me to debug most issues and I'm finally making breakthroughs in my understanding allowing me to debug many issues I would've thought I'd never be able to even conceive of working on a solution for.

Unfortunately, when I go to READ anything about coding I come to the rapid conclusion that this learning by doing thing is effective but leaves me struggling like a newb to understand anything written on the subject of programming. There's a lot of things I just 'get' now and don't have words to explain nor grasp the words others would use to explain. Maybe I'll sort that all out at some point. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom