Single Player bugs and crashes v38 download - After the 20th of February 2018

Please report all single player bugs and crashes from the v38 download here.

SVN users please use the other thread. This will make it easier for all when trying to find solutions.

The SVN is a beta version of the next release and will contain fixes to the current version but is in a state of flux. If you want to use the SVN version instead of the download see the SVN thread.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/suboptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a save game exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

Known issues

Any idea why this turn hangs and will not finish processing? The only "new" thing in the game is that I just completed a Great Farmer this turn.

Attachments

• D2 AD-0204.CivBeyondSwordSave
    6.6 MB · Views: 270
Any idea why this turn hangs and will not finish processing? The only "new" thing in the game is that I just completed a Great Farmer this turn.
Will need to debug.

Thank you. I hope you find something simple that helps the game. I also hope my game is salvageable as I have become emotionally dependent on it :)

Thank you. I hope you find something simple that helps the game. I also hope my game is salvageable as I have become emotionally dependent on it :)
GREAT save and situation! It pointed out a fundamental underlying flaw in the brokerage system that other work paved the way to make apparent. You pointed out that I forgot to clean up after abandoning an old change AND where the real problem has been for a LOT of AI strange behaviors I've been trying to solve for.

< preening> Yeah, I did all that... ummm... stuff!

Repeatable crash to desktop issue. Next turn game exits no matter what I do or what I build. No error message, just exit.

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.1 MB · Views: 246
@cezdor,
clicked Red End of turn button, turn processed. Below is save of next turn at it's beginning.

Note: you have Storms On. Go into BUG and turn Storms Off. Storms are known to cause spontaneous CTDs. Especially on systems with low graphic capabilities or slower CPU speeds.

Attachments

• cezdor BC-20563.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2 MB · Views: 256
Thank you for your response.

Resetting Civilization 4 BTS options to default worked here. It looks that standard change on Graphic or Audio or Game options caused the save to work (no change on C2C settings). Without this I couldn't load your save because it caused the game to exit to desktop during save load.

Just started a game, and my gatherer can't upgrade a scavenging camp to a nomadic herd on a herd of buffalo, it says it will upgrade automatically because the tile is being worked, but I can't do it faster myself with my gatherer.

Building new nomadic herds is okay, it just won't let me upgrade scavenging camps that already exist.

Last edited:
Just started a game, and my gatherer can't upgrade a scavenging camp to a nomadic herd on a herd of buffalo, it says it will upgrade automatically because the tile is being worked, but I can't do it faster myself with my gatherer.

Building new nomadic herds is okay, it just won't let me upgrade scavenging camps that already exist.
That would be because you're trying to do it with a Gatherer which cannot build that improvement. A worker could do it.

First off, awesome mod! You've all been doing an amazing job! Every time I end the turn the game CTD's with no error. I had graphics on high and storms on. I turned graphics down to defaults and turned off storms but still get a CTD. I have 32 GB of ram and GTX 1060 6GB, and running it on Windows 10. I've been playing this specific campaign for over 20 hours with no problems until now. Save file attached. Let me know what else you need from my end.

Attachments

• ThatLatinDude AD-1273.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.3 MB · Views: 229
Suddenly got hell a lot of money O.o Game just thought that production overflow of 0 should be converted to 2021155918 gold

that was NOT FINISHED alfa male (~33% completion) in totally new city
edit: seems to be not repeatable

Attachments

• gold bug happened.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.5 MB · Views: 210
  • AutoSave_BC-5705.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.5 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Hi,

Just playing along when I was interrupted by a crash to desktop. The cause is completing Sedentary Lifestyle - I changed research to another tech and then resumed SL and it happened again.
I tried to upload the MiniDmp file, but I can't because it does not have an extension which the up-loader will allow (odd).
I think my game is screwed but maybe at least if the cause can be found it will help the C2C Mod.
Many thanks for such an incredible Mod. I'm sure it's keeping Civ 4 alive all by itself. Many hours consumed.

Attachments

• Stephen BC-32789.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.4 MB · Views: 199
Version 38.5.

When reaching the Industrial era and researching Military Science, you can not build the Military Academy when its requirements are met.

This means the MA-Wonders such as West Point can not be built.

Checked the SVN posts but could not see an update.

Version 38.5.

When reaching the Industrial era and researching Military Science, you can not build the Military Academy when its requirements are met.

This means the MA-Wonders such as West Point can not be built.

Checked the SVN posts but could not see an update.
This is special building, buildable only by great general or great admiral.

This means you have go to war and fight to get those great people.

This building needs university in city too.

Last edited:
This is special building, buildable only by great general or great admiral.

Problem solved.

I did have a University and a Great Admiral.

However I had forgotten that I gave it the Field Commander promotion. As it had not been near a battle - no promotion icon was displayed. (that only appears after the first battle - it is near).

So I was confused why I could not build the Academy.

First off, awesome mod! You've all been doing an amazing job! Every time I end the turn the game CTD's with no error. I had graphics on high and storms on. I turned graphics down to defaults and turned off storms but still get a CTD. I have 32 GB of ram and GTX 1060 6GB, and running it on Windows 10. I've been playing this specific campaign for over 20 hours with no problems until now. Save file attached. Let me know what else you need from my end.
1st what version of the Mod are you playing? And what do you mean by "campaign"? Are you playing a scenario?

Turn Storms Off Before you play beyond the 1st turn. It has a proven track record of causing CTDs.

Your 32GB of Ram is not necessary for C2C as the Civ IV engine can only use ~3GB ever.

Top Bottom