Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

CTD'd again and lost 1 turn. Reload the last autosave and played up to the lost turn and saved. Then played the next turn thru. I have the Autosave set to 1. But I still lose a turn.

Also the turn times are climbing. Over 4minutes now from 3 1/2 minutes before the debug run.

I did jot down the 7 asserts that came up during the Debug run. And No I don't have Visual Studio.
1st assert: Path Connection, there was more but I did not write this one down fully, sorry
2nd, CvCityAI.cpp Line 17780 (nor this one as it was stated before)
3rd, CvCityAI.cpp Line 4544 Expression: false
4th, CvUnit.cpp Line 20048 Express: getCargo()==aUnits.size()
5th CvSelectionGroup.cpp Line 4713 Express: false Message: Pathing failedto apparent reachable city
6th, CvUnit.cpp Line 20150, Express: getCargo()==iCount
7th CvSelectionGroupAI.cpp, Line 255, express: false

Seems that about every 3 -5 turns now if I don't manually save each turn it will CTD.

I will press on as long as I can.

Attachments

• MiniDump_10343.7z
    15.3 KB · Views: 32
Hi!
I finished a game with SVN10319 on the "A Space Map - ItSmallWorld" map.

The game was surprisingly stable, only the Hyperlanes tech caused an infinite loop if tried to research normally. As a workaround, I got this tech as a free tech from a wonder, so I was able to research all techs.
And the Neuroimplant factory requires sponge, but the map didn't provided any, so I added manually via the world builder.

Buglist:

Wonder popups:
- Cyrus cylinder has a "movie needed" error message
-Palace of Beolien has a wrong movie
-Human rights declaration, Capitol records tower, Gardens by the bay, Proetmoic encyclopedia: the popup window is empty.

Graphical glitches:
-The modern windmill's animation is wrong
-The Lunar supply ship's action button to be a lunar bulldozer, is a Neanderthal's head.
-The Sentinel's model has rendering problems (see the screenshot). Several dozen SVN revisions before it's worked...
-
-Pepper2000's P2K_CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml require some love. The Battlecruiser's definition is a dreadnought tank and most other units are just modified versions of the lunar rover.
-Many units (space workers, police units etc.) cant handle the "Single Unit Graphics" option in the options menu. If I turn it off, then the game renders them as misaligned groups.

The Nanopunk tech is empty.

Hover texts:
-Bug options menu, City Screen tab: TXT_KEY_BUG_CITYBAR__BUILDINGACTUALEFFECT_HOVER not found
-On the globe layer, the Bug head says: TXT_KEY_GLOBELAYER_DEBUG not found.

Obsoleting rules:
-The Galley, the Trireme and the Battering ram are really reliable units. I was able to produce triremes during the transhuman era. :)

Cultures:
-They came normally until the ancient era, then I got the rest en-masse somewhere mid Renaissance. Some kind of dependency problem maybe?

Building problems:
-If I place a city on the surface of Titan, then I can only build a small subset of the buildings. This problem is not come forward if I found the city in the space with Titan in city's vicinity.
-Cities in the Oort cloud can't build any units.
-Space roads are incompatible with the "hide obsolete worker actions" option.

In the modern eras, the wildlife is a bit annoying. Are there any methods to stop the animal spawns?

Keep up the good work and Happy new year everyone!

Attachments

• units.png
    units.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 120
And No I don't have Visual Studio.
You'd have to have a fair bit of programming ability to make use of it.

Over 4minutes now from 3 1/2 minutes before the debug run.
The debug run wouldn't have added to it but remember that the first turns in the game can take a bit longer as certain things are being cached. If you're starting up a lot you might be feeling it more. Also, the deeper into the game the more you'll experience some slowdown as there are just a lot more objects out there in play, each considering numerous AI factors every round.

Random CTDs are very difficult to pinpoint because often times it's not the point of the crash that's a problem but some things that take place long before that point in the open ocean of processing. That's why asserts are programmed is to help try to give hints as to where things may not be quite right. When you look at a mini, you get a snapshot of the moment where the crash took place and it can give hints and sometimes shows exactly what the problem is, but usually they just hint at it by showing the rocks you actually ran up against, which most of the time really should be there just as much as anything else in the code should be. Minis can be very vague.

If it stays that common, I can run your game on a debug dll until it crashes and see what further information I can get. I suspect it won't stay that common though.

only the Hyperlanes tech caused an infinite loop if tried to research normally.
Please post a save next time you find this problem.
-The Sentinel's model has rendering problems (see the screenshot). Several dozen SVN revisions before it's worked..
It's working in that pic - just very small is all. The model is 3 shield-like floating robotic thingies.

In the modern eras, the wildlife is a bit annoying. Are there any methods to stop the animal spawns?
Funny how hard we had to work to enable it. Just use the animals stay out option and it should work but there could be a bug in it.

@Raxxo,
I have finally reached Medieval Era, turn 807 1369BC. I also now have 3 Empires that have DoW'd me with Deganawida being the latest. And border skirmishes have already started with him. Luckily for me he also decided to pick on Cyrus the Persian so it's 2 against one on our continent. That helps since he already has Hvy Sword, Pike, and Axe. I trying to get Sword in the next 3-4 turns.

If you want the save game let me know.

@T-Brd,
I save every turn manually now and have had no more issues except 1. Every time the Vienna or Apostolic vote comes up, or a decision is rendered, after the Pop up is closed the turn loses it's list of next unit/build list/etc. The bottom left corner goes blank. This has been happening since the CTD's started, and may have in fact preceded the 1st one. There is some sort of problem were these two Vote getting and Vote decision pop ups breaks the chain of the next action list.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 101
@T-Brd,
I save every turn manually now and have had no more issues except 1. Every time the Vienna or Apostolic vote comes up, or a decision is rendered, after the Pop up is closed the turn loses it's list of next unit/build list/etc. The bottom left corner goes blank. This has been happening since the CTD's started, and may have in fact preceded the 1st one. There is some sort of problem were these two Vote getting and Vote decision pop ups breaks the chain of the next action list.
Interesting. That could explain a few things but opens up a lot more questions than it provides answers. I'm not terribly familiar with those particular popups but there have been reports of some errors there for a while. Some review of those vote coding procedures could be in order. I'm not sure how it can create problem with the UI - maybe @Toffer90 would have some insight there.

I'm not sure how it can create problem with the UI
What do you mean with the UI? The left bottom corner going blank? That is just a symptom of the problem of Nothing being selected by the game after the pop up is closed, You have to manually click a unit or go into a city screen and manipulate the build que for the "next" thing waiting to become able to be interacted with. Is that a bit more clear? The game just sits there till you force it to do something.

What do you mean with the UI? The left bottom corner going blank? That is just a symptom of the problem of Nothing being selected by the game after the pop up is closed, You have to manually click a unit or go into a city screen and manipulate the build que for the "next" thing waiting to become able to be interacted with. Is that a bit more clear? The game just sits there till you force it to do something.
Yes, that clarification is good to make. It's like the way the game starts now as opposed to the way it used to. I'm not quite sure what was changed that started making that the case at game opening but I can assume that same change is what makes you start with no active selection after coming out of a popup resolution. There could be something interesting about the parameter options in use on that particular popup. All that said, it very well may not have anything to do with the crashes either since you've successfully had them come up and gotten through them without crashes as well. Your initial mini didn't support that being part of the problem and pointed more towards a unit in a bad state somewhere. That's unfortunately not an uncommon place I've been stumped on for many minis I've evaluated for the last 4 or 5 versions. I did do some things that seems to have greatly reduced how often this happens, which is a clue but not everything. By training up some new programmers it will help to have some collaborations to sort some of these things out.

@Raxxo,
I have finally reached Medieval Era, turn 807 1369BC. I also now have 3 Empires that have DoW'd me with Deganawida being the latest. And border skirmishes have already started with him. Luckily for me he also decided to pick on Cyrus the Persian so it's 2 against one on our continent. That helps since he already has Hvy Sword, Pike, and Axe. I trying to get Sword in the next 3-4 turns.
Can I see your save?

Hi!
I finished a game with SVN10319 on the "A Space Map - ItSmallWorld" map.

The game was surprisingly stable, only the Hyperlanes tech caused an infinite loop if tried to research normally. As a workaround, I got this tech as a free tech from a wonder, so I was able to research all techs.
And the Neuroimplant factory requires sponge, but the map didn't provided any, so I added manually via the world builder.
No idea why Hyperlanes would cause such bug.
Maybe it was unrelated bug.

You never built Sponge Farm? It needs Coral Reef feature in vicinity.
Sponge is "manufactured" resource.
I could remove that requirement for Neuroimplant factory though.

Buglist:

Wonder popups:
- Cyrus cylinder has a "movie needed" error message
-Palace of Beolien has a wrong movie
-Human rights declaration, Capitol records tower, Gardens by the bay, Proetmoic encyclopedia: the popup window is empty.
I can remove movie tags from those 6 wonders.

Graphical glitches:
-The modern windmill's animation is wrong
-The Lunar supply ship's action button to be a lunar bulldozer, is a Neanderthal's head.
-The Sentinel's model has rendering problems (see the screenshot). Several dozen SVN revisions before it's worked...
-
-Pepper2000's P2K_CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml require some love. The Battlecruiser's definition is a dreadnought tank and most other units are just modified versions of the lunar rover.
-Many units (space workers, police units etc.) cant handle the "Single Unit Graphics" option in the options menu. If I turn it off, then the game renders them as misaligned groups.
We don't have graphic artist to fix those glithes or make new animations/textures for units or to make "single unit graphics" work properly.

The Nanopunk tech is empty.
@pepper2000 didn't had ideas to what he could do with it.
I think it could be space themed in general.

Hover texts:
-Bug options menu, City Screen tab: TXT_KEY_BUG_CITYBAR__BUILDINGACTUALEFFECT_HOVER not found
-On the globe layer, the Bug head says: TXT_KEY_GLOBELAYER_DEBUG not found.
@Toffer90 did oopsie somewhere probably.

Obsoleting rules:
-The Galley, the Trireme and the Battering ram are really reliable units. I was able to produce triremes during the transhuman era. :)
@Thunderbrd missed those units to forceobsolete.

Cultures:
-They came normally until the ancient era, then I got the rest en-masse somewhere mid Renaissance. Some kind of dependency problem maybe?
I guess those are to simulate new cultures created by colonization.

Building problems:
-If I place a city on the surface of Titan, then I can only build a small subset of the buildings. This problem is not come forward if I found the city in the space with Titan in city's vicinity.
-Cities in the Oort cloud can't build any units.
-Space roads are incompatible with the "hide obsolete worker actions" option.
Pepper didn't finish stuff here yet, also in Transneptunian space you should build cities on KBOs.
This BUG option is known to cause problems.

Attachments

• Long game BC-1338.7z
    4.5 MB · Views: 37
Units aren't supposed to have to force obsolete according to DH. However, the rams don't have upgrades so really they should have one set up wherever you feel appropriate if you wish to address that. The ships? Those were Hydro's. Don't they have an upgrade? Strange they should be trainable so late then.

Please post a save next time you find this problem.
I played with my problematic savegames, but this time everything worked like a charm. Looks like I had some kind of memory corruption.

It's working in that pic - just very small is all. The model is 3 shield-like floating robotic thingies.
My bad. Reverted the SVN to rev. 10000, inspected the model with NifSkope, and everything is right with it.

Funny how hard we had to work to enable it. Just use the animals stay out option and it should work but there could be a bug in it.
Finally I turned this option on and disbanded my hunters. The only problem is, that the hordes of pigeons slowing down the engine. :crazyeye:

Finally I turned this option on and disbanded my hunters. The only problem is, that the hordes of pigeons slowing down the engine. :crazyeye:
Nothing including pigeons should spawn within borders if "Animals Stay Out" is on.
Unless those were animals that were already here.

We have a known problem with automated hunters refusing to hunt within borders that does need to be addressed that would help with this. Hoping @flabbert meant it when he said he'd want to work on this stuff at some point soon. I do intend to help with that by explaining the basics of Unit AI setup so that he or whoever wishes to look into it can be given a start on investigating what this and other similar problems might be stemming from. It just takes time and solid focus to solve these kinds of things and there's a lot of little outstanding bugs like this to address in the AI.

As for missing movie tags it appears some people made two or three different spellings of same wonder.
That is Wonder had art tag WNDER, file name was WODER, and in path to file in art defs file was named WDER.bik

Some patches in movie art defines point to empty place.
Palace of Beaulieu had broken movie since forever.

I wonder if typos like those are source of rare random crashes on map generation with random civs and traits being on.
Also traits may reference buildings, that don't exist (typo or something).
By the way some movie art defines are pointing into places, that doen't exist (no file in that location).

Units aren't supposed to have to force obsolete according to DH. However, the rams don't have upgrades so really they should have one set up wherever you feel appropriate if you wish to address that. The ships? Those were Hydro's. Don't they have an upgrade? Strange they should be trainable so late then.
Trireme and Galley upgrade to later units.
Same with Battering Ram.

I loaded some save in Nanotech era, and there weren't old units except trained animals and missionaries.

@Nomore Telindus can you upload save?

Last edited:
No idea why Hyperlanes would cause such bug.
Maybe it was unrelated bug.

You never built Sponge Farm? It needs Coral Reef feature in vicinity.
Sponge is "manufactured" resource.
I could remove that requirement for Neuroimplant factory though.

Then the map lacks any Coral Reefs. I just found sponge in the Bonuses tab in the World Builder. (The size of this mod is a bit overwhelming :lol: )

I can remove movie tags from those 6 wonders.
We don't have graphic artist to fix those glithes or make new animations/textures for units or to make "single unit graphics" work properly.

I replaced (copy&pasted) the Battlecruiser's definition for myself with the Battleship form the Final Frontier scenario and it worked perfectly. If I have time and luck, I can play with the rest. Because the majority of the units are works with the single units option, I think the problem is somewhere in the XMLs.

I guess those are to simulate new cultures created by colonization.

Pepper didn't finish stuff here yet, also in Transneptunian space you should build cities on KBOs.
This BUG option is known to cause problems.

Attached a save. :)

Attachments

• Washington June 3, AD-1913_upload.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
Then the map lacks any Coral Reefs. I just found sponge in the Bonuses tab in the World Builder. (The size of this mod is a bit overwhelming :lol: )
Attached a save. :)
You shouldn't place manufactured resources (there is 100 map and 400 manufactured resources). That map had coral reefs around one tile island.
That sponge you placed doesn't work.
I removed sponge requirement from that one factory though in last commit.

Python error suddenly appeared.
It seems like it isn't endgame savegame.

Also looks like my test map should be played with upscaled research costs.
Looks like you never settled on that island with corals in vicinity.

Also you are playing as North American continent culture.
This explains sudden burst of NA cultures:
You first you got native american cultures, and then in renaissance you got colonial cultures and built that wonder, which gives European continent culture.

As for old units they appear only in SOME cities.
This is very weird as they have upgrades, and probably those units aren't first in their chains.

Last edited:
I removed sponge requirement from that one factory though in last commit.
Please don't go overboard with this. You already removed the "Raw Fish" requirement from the Dried Fish Maker, making the Raw Fish actually weaker than the Shellfish despite the Shellfish being easier to get.

These resource chains are (when they are working) one of the strongest parts of this mod IMO - moving towards vanilla would not be a good thing.

Top Bottom