Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

Actually I put the ones in my map into the xml here locally, and it fixed them.
Really? Huh... I might be coming from an outdated place of understanding on this then.

then how come before it worked for only "warcats" and nothing else, besides the normal ones???? not trained cats, and not guard cats, JUST warcats??? what changed???

And just for info i Never cared about dogs being merged, it was just "warcats" infact it was hard to do sometimes just to get that part in the classical era to do it. u had to get the right techs and the right wonder to do it ,,, oh and be the first to do it also. Infact only one civ could do it.

EDIT: i am, "pretty" sure it only had to do with ,,, unitcombat area?? it looks like someone changed the "meanings" around??

EDIT EDIT" Wow just looked and it looks like everything can merge everything, i just looked and u can even do medics/doctors etc??
Dont know if this would be fun or not, i just like it the way it was before someone messed with unitcombat stuff, i believe for the uncut and the strengths. IMPO
But UR the MAIN guy now what ever u want u get!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, so I know I laid out the problems with creating a perfect solution to this matter but I did figure out a way to do it that doesn't have any of the downsides. Just repurposed a tag that would never have been used in unitcombats otherwise but was already setup and costing memory. bFreeDrop now means 'Ignore the bCannotMergeSplit tag IF playing SM Uncut'. Applied to both Canines and Felines.

I realized I needed to fix this because the AI would start merging property control units to their great production detriment otherwise.

It sounded like you forgot to set autosave, so it would be done every turn.
10 years of playing and several years of modding doesn't mean immunity from all mistakes in general..

Random crashes is why everyone should have autosaves set to every turn.
This is why I responded like this, as there isn't any reason to not have autosaves every turn.

Then make the Game .ini set to 1 for autosave turns. As often as the SVn is updated you sometimes over look the default setting of 4. And don't be such a smart aleck either.:nono::rolleyes::p

Young butthead whipper snapper! :mischief::lol:

Once this happens nothing reverses it, even introducing the new text key into the xml won't fix it because that TXT_KEY_YADA_YADA has actually become the textual name of that specific city from that point on. This is an artifact of the ability to player-name a city. Once the reference is lost, it changes to all it knows how to change to and that is the actual text of the text reference name itself. From there, it's not further tied to the text xml because that name key is now stored as the name in the same way that a player rename would be.

Make sense? It's hard to explain but I'm trying here.
Gottcha. Explanation clear and understood. Just letting Toffer know too.

Gottcha. Explanation clear and understood. Just letting Toffer know too.
Yeah, I learned a lesson there.

Most text keys can be changed without it affecting save game compatibility, but city names are special in the way they are referenced, not only by other xml but in the save file itself; there is obvioulsy no way to update the reference inside the save file.

I won't rename the tag keys for city names willy nilly no more.

When a civilization ask me to change my religion and I reject it, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 313, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "autologEventManager", line 1414, in onReligionRejected
ValueError: need more than 2 values to unpack

Yeah, I learned a lesson there.

Most text keys can be changed without it affecting save game compatibility, but city names are special in the way they are referenced, not only by other xml but in the save file itself; there is obvioulsy no way to update the reference inside the save file.

I won't rename the tag keys for city names willy nilly no more.
Yeah but Tbrd was incorrect. Changing the xml caused the problem in the first place, and putting the tags back in the xml does fix it, and is the solution.

If you have manually changed city names in your save, then I would expect xml changes would not affect them either way. But the important thing is, if the xml change broke them, it can fix them too.

When a civilization ask me to change my religion and I reject it, I get this error:

Do you use @Toffer90 Interface Overhaul?

Then make the Game .ini set to 1 for autosave turns. As often as the SVn is updated you sometimes over look the default setting of 4. And don't be such a smart aleck either.:nono::rolleyes::p

Young butthead whipper snapper! :mischief::lol:
That default is for game itself just like windowed mode or some debug settings not mod.
This means SVN updates have nothing to do with it and you can't affect it in any way.
Unless BUG settings allows that, but vanilla INI (shortcut is in BTS folder as you know) overrides that.
Vanilla ini controlling autosaving interval and other stuff is here: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

Also Thunderbrd said that autosaving delay is much bigger for him than me.
So I guess saving lasts longer for you too.
That is delay caused by autosave is random.

It would be real shame if I upgraded to 200 GB SSD or 1 TB HDD and then suddenly mod saves game and loads itself 2 - 5x longer.
Now it saves game within 20 secs in worst case and I can load any save counting from startup within 2 - 3 minutes.

I'm not sure if this one is part of Toffer's modmod.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-12-24 11-26-15-04.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah but Tbrd was incorrect. Changing the xml caused the problem in the first place, and putting the tags back in the xml does fix it, and is the solution.

If you have manually changed city names in your save, then I would expect xml changes would not affect them either way. But the important thing is, if the xml change broke them, it can fix them too.
Yeah, TB was wrong, you can check this quite easily by renaming any city to: "TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ADEN", the city will then change name to "Aden".

I could add back the old entries for city names, they would never be used in new games, but would fix the issue in old games.
Those legacy entries would then have a comment frame saying they will be removed at the next save game breaking period.
The problem is that I don't have a list over which xml entries I renamed and which I deleted from the game, and I changed the order of them from random to alphabetical, so it is not as simple as comparing two files with a compare tool.
I would have to go through all the XML keys that was in the old file and try to search for it in the new file, if I can't find it in the new file then I must add it there.

I consider this a minor save game compatibility issue though, just minor enough not to warrant an big effort to fix immediately.
Sometime at the end of the week I may put od some time to work on it.

Could be a PPIO issue, I'll look into it when I have time.

Last edited:
Yes, I use PPIO. Sometimes is hard to know if a bug comes from the base mod or from modmod.

The problem is that I don't have a list over which xml entries I renamed and which I deleted from the game, and I changed the order of them from random to alphabetical, so it is not as simple as comparing two files with a compare tool.
I would have to go through all the XML keys that was in the old file and try to search for it in the new file, if I can't find it in the new file then I must add it there.
The ones in my game were: _ELASHMUNEIN (in the text 'El' is a separate word or hyphenated), _HIERACONPOLIS, _ANTIUM, _CALCUTTA, _STPETERSBURG, _JAUNPUR, _MACHU, _YUECHI (two words or hyphenated - personally I like 'Yue-chi'), _ESTRUSCAN (this is 'Etruscan' mispelled of course), _BOMBAY, _MADRAS, _TIWANAKU, _CORIHUAYACHINA (it was 'Corihuayrachina' in the text - I don't know which is right), _VILCAS, _VILCABAMBA, and _VITCOS

That default is for game itself just like windowed mode or some debug settings not mod.
This means SVN updates have nothing to do with it and you can't affect it in any way.
Unless BUG settings allows that, but vanilla INI (shortcut is in BTS folder as you know) overrides that.
Vanilla ini controlling autosaving interval and other stuff is here: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

Also Thunderbrd said that autosaving delay is much bigger for him than me.
So I guess saving lasts longer for you too.
That is delay caused by autosave is random.

It would be real shame if I upgraded to 200 GB SSD or 1 TB HDD and then suddenly mod saves game and loads itself 2 - 5x longer.
Now it saves game within 20 secs in worst case and I can load any save counting from startup within 2 - 3 minutes.

I'm not sure if this one is part of Toffer's modmod.
Your pushing out PPIO screens as default. They are not. See screenshot it is default C2C BUG.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 85
Your pushing out PPIO screens as default. They are not. See screenshot it is default C2C BUG.
There is NO way to set autosaving interval inside of mod without PPIO (this is fairly recent addition in it anyway).
That is C2C doesn't have its own default concerning frequency of autosaves.

Autosave frequency is tied only to BTS INI file, that exists independently from any mod.
If you wanted to have C2C default independent from vanilla, then you would need @Toffer90 to do that for C2C just like he did in PPIO.

Last edited:
The ones in my game were: _ELASHMUNEIN (in the text 'El' is a separate word or hyphenated), _HIERACONPOLIS, _ANTIUM, _CALCUTTA, _STPETERSBURG, _JAUNPUR, _MACHU, _YUECHI (two words or hyphenated - personally I like 'Yue-chi'), _ESTRUSCAN (this is 'Etruscan' mispelled of course), _BOMBAY, _MADRAS, _TIWANAKU, _CORIHUAYACHINA (it was 'Corihuayrachina' in the text - I don't know which is right), _VILCAS, _VILCABAMBA, and _VITCOS
Thanks, a bit of help makes the job easier.
I won't mod during the holidays, family time you know, but I'll fix the errors soon enough.

@Toffer90 there is graphical bug with one cultural unit.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-12-26 23-08-42-43.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-12-26 22-56-55-60.jpg

Noticed this one in Joseph's save.

Another one when I looked trough units
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-12-26 23-12-09-56.jpg

Last edited:
@raxo2222 : The game can't locate the nif file that is set in the unit-art xml. I'll let it be a challenge for you to figure out what's wrong.
Ask me if you get lost.
Yeah, you should be able to solve this one rather easily Rax ;)

@raxo2222 : The game can't locate the nif file that is set in the unit-art xml. I'll let it be a challenge for you to figure out what's wrong.
Ask me if you get lost.
Yeah, you should be able to solve this one rather easily Rax ;)
I tried solving this before I posted, I guess I'll try again.

It appears file paths are erroneous somewhere - file may be in wrong folder in FPK.
I'm not sure how to fix it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom