Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

Looks like the buildings are not done.

Suggest all Mapinguari units upgrade to Retired Mapinguari.

Retired Mapinguari are civilian/engineer units that can neither attack or defend but are captured like workers are.
Cost tech: Spear Making - retiring later units will give you money
Required techs: Ceremony, Celebration and Chiefdom
Can build (in cities)
  • Mapinguari Changing of the Guard (requires Mapinguari Compound)
  • Ceremonial Guard First Regiment (requires centre of government)
  • Ceremonial Guard Second Regiment (requires Palace or the national wonder Heroic Epic or Military????)
  • Holy Guard (requires any holy shrine, not sure if we need one per shrine or just one in a city)
All these buildings would now provide a reduced cost in building units or buildings. All would provide tourism and a positive effect for cultural stability.​
Can build (on plot, using up the unit) - Mapinguari Reserve requires caves and fresh water.​
Pretty close to what I suggested. Though I'd let a player also choose to abandon the animals and keep upgrading the unit militarily as an option as well though.

Pretty close to what I suggested. Though I'd let a player also choose to abandon the animals and keep upgrading the unit militarily as an option as well though.
The problem is that the unit should only be getting animal like promotions. The humans involved are basically handlers feeding the critters. Thus any upgrade to a non-animal unit makes no sense. Upgrading a cavalry unit to a light tank unit makes sense because half of the unit remains. In this case 95% or more of the unit is lost and those that remain are not really combat trained.

The problem is that the unit should only be getting animal like promotions. The humans involved are basically handlers feeding the critters. Thus any upgrade to a non-animal unit makes no sense. Upgrading a cavalry unit to a light tank unit makes sense because half of the unit remains. In this case 95% or more of the unit is lost and those that remain are not really combat trained.
That's exactly why units are now able to retrain promotions that are lost.

When the Elementary School is obsoleted, you cannot build the Megatower (Education Level) in new / conquered cities anymore. As a consequence, you cannot build Holographic Schools there, either. These cities get a lot less education than the cities you already held before Mind Uploading. Since books don't obsolete anymore IIRC, at least the Elementary School could continue to work (it would be replaced by the Holographic School anyway). Or you give an alternative prerequisite for the Megatower (Education Level), like Instant Education Center (should become available at the same time). Or you give a prerequisite that doesn't obsolete at all, like Library or University.

You can fix that if you like. In fact, please do. (You can select individual files to commit so you don't have to commit every adjustment you have to correct this isolated issue.)
I used your pattern.
There were no
<TargetLevelbyEraType>
<EraType>ERA_XXXX</EraType>
<iTargetLevel>#####</iTargetLevel>
</TargetLevelbyEraType>
for AIs for Information, Nanotech, Cosmic and Transcendent eras.

Now it looks like this:
Code:
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_MODERN</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>1100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_INFORMATION</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>2600</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_NANOTECH</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>5100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_TRANSHUMAN</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>10100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_GALACTIC</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>25100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_COSMIC</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>50100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_TRANSCENDENT</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>100100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_FUTURE</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>200100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>

I'll set operational limits to +-2000000

I added defines for last 3 eras.
Now it is:
10 25 50 (Prehistoric, Ancient Classical)
100 250 500 (Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial)
1000 2500 5000 (Modern, Information, Nanotech)
10 000, 25 000, 50 000 (Transhuman, Galactic, Cosmic)
100 000, (AI goal for future set at 200 100) (Transcendent, Future)

Changed AI education goal levels:
Modern - 1100, was 1100
Information - 2600, was no defined goal
Nanotech - 5100, was no defined goal.
Transhuman - 11 000, was 2600
Galactic - 25 100, was 5100
Cosmic - 50 100, was no defined goal
Transcendent - 100 100, was no defined goal.
Future - 200 100, was 10100

Last edited:
But the handlers were not the ones getting the promotions. Why should they get to "keep" anything?
Why do War Elephants keep anything when they upgrade to tanks?

When the Elementary School is obsoleted, you cannot build the Megatower (Education Level) in new / conquered cities anymore. As a consequence, you cannot build Holographic Schools there, either. These cities get a lot less education than the cities you already held before Mind Uploading. Since books don't obsolete anymore IIRC, at least the Elementary School could continue to work (it would be replaced by the Holographic School anyway). Or you give an alternative prerequisite for the Megatower (Education Level), like Instant Education Center (should become available at the same time). Or you give a prerequisite that doesn't obsolete at all, like Library or University.
You want to take a shot at sorting this one out Rax?

I used your pattern.
There were no
<TargetLevelbyEraType>
<EraType>ERA_XXXX</EraType>
<iTargetLevel>#####</iTargetLevel>
</TargetLevelbyEraType>
for AIs for Information, Nanotech, Cosmic and Transcendent eras.

Now it looks like this:
Code:
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_MODERN</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>1100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_INFORMATION</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>2600</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_NANOTECH</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>5100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_TRANSHUMAN</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>10100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_GALACTIC</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>25100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_COSMIC</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>50100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_TRANSCENDENT</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>100100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>
                <TargetLevelbyEraType>
                    <EraType>ERA_FUTURE</EraType>
                    <iTargetLevel>200100</iTargetLevel>
                </TargetLevelbyEraType>

I'll set operational limits to +-2000000

I added defines for last 3 eras.
Now it is:
10 25 50 (Prehistoric, Ancient Classical)
100 250 500 (Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial)
1000 2500 5000 (Modern, Information, Nanotech)
10 000, 25 000, 50 000 (Transhuman, Galactic, Cosmic)
100 000, (AI goal for future set at 200 100) (Transcendent, Future)

Changed AI education goal levels:
Modern - 1100, was 1100
Information - 2600, was no defined goal
Nanotech - 5100, was no defined goal.
Transhuman - 11 000, was 2600
Galactic - 25 100, was 5100
Cosmic - 50 100, was no defined goal
Transcendent - 100 100, was no defined goal.
Future - 200 100, was 10100
Well done. Thanks!

You want to take a shot at sorting this one out Rax?

Yes.
I modified a lot of things in file, where megatower is, it will be committed after release.
I think giving university prereq for that is best - if you have university in city, then most likely you have all other school related things.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-06-08 17-50-33-07.jpg

Last edited:
I got this, but i have no idea what it is about???

Unit stuck in loop( Warning before short circuit (pass: 1) ): Modern Battleship(de Witt)[36, 42] (attack sea)
thru
Unit stuck in loop( Warning before short circuit (pass: 9) ): Modern Battleship(de Witt)[36, 42] (attack sea)

Unit stuck in loop( Warning before short circuit (pass: 1) ): Modern Battleship(de Witt)[36, 42] (attack sea)
thru
Unit stuck in loop( Warning before short circuit (pass: 9) ): Modern Battleship(de Witt)[36, 42] (attack sea)
Sounds like something went wrong in code.
Upload save, so @Thunderbrd may look at this bug.

thru
Are you running the debug dll?

Why do War Elephants keep anything when they upgrade to tanks?
They don't except when you use the Unlimited XP game option! I feel they should loose about half there XP, all inappropriate promotions and up to half their levels. The last just means they need fewer XP to get their next promotions.

They don't except when you use the Unlimited XP game option! I feel they should loose about half there XP, all inappropriate promotions and up to half their levels. The last just means they need fewer XP to get their next promotions.
Well then, Mapinguari would operate the same way under the same non-option use.

Not sure why you feel it's so critical to enforce your opinion on this... why do we not have harmony in our disagreement due to the option's existence? I don't enjoy units losing levels because they upgrade.

But back to the point, what promotions do Elephant units lose when they upgrade to tanks? They'd lose the same ones on or off Unlimited XP. And if they were skill promos they'd be retrainable (replaced by selections made the next round) either way. And if they are free promos, they're just lost - again either way. The option does nothing in regards to what's lost and what would be retrainable. That has everything to do with the unit type keeping only what continues to be a valid promotion for the next type of unit.

Last edited:
Well then, Mapinguari would operate the same way under the same non-option use.

Not sure why you feel it's so critical to enforce your opinion on this... why do we not have harmony in our disagreement due to the option's existence? I don't enjoy units losing levels because they upgrade.

But back to the point, what promotions do Elephant units lose when they upgrade to tanks? They'd lose the same ones on or off Unlimited XP. And if they were skill promos they'd be retrainable (replaced by selections made the next round) either way. And if they are free promos, they're just lost - again either way. The option does nothing in regards to what's lost and what would be retrainable. That has everything to do with the unit type keeping only what continues to be a valid promotion for the next type of unit.
Because it is not the elephants upgrading it is their riders; spearmen, archers and the like being moved around by the animal. In the case of the Mapinguari there are no humans actually involved in the combat. Therefore the humans are not getting any experience also there is noting left of the unit when the animal is removed. Think of horse artillery upgrading to automobile artillery, when this happened two of the five person team were no longer needed as there sole job was holding the horses while the others worked the gun. In the case of Mapingauri there is nothing left as all the humans and only concerned with handling the animal when it is not in combat.

Because it is not the elephants upgrading it is their riders; spearmen, archers and the like being moved around by the animal. In the case of the Mapinguari there are no humans actually involved in the combat. Therefore the humans are not getting any experience also there is noting left of the unit when the animal is removed. Think of horse artillery upgrading to automobile artillery, when this happened two of the five person team were no longer needed as there sole job was holding the horses while the others worked the gun. In the case of Mapingauri there is nothing left as all the humans and only concerned with handling the animal when it is not in combat.
I'm not convinced the animal is all there is to it. You've really based it on a spearman template so as to suggest there are spearmen handlers. Similar all-animal logic could be used for Rhinos too.

Top Bottom