Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

I hate that stuff too which is a major reason for being reluctant up to now. But I'm upgrading my computer system significantly and I figure I might as well bend to the march of time here. I'm sure I'll be asking about how to navigate some of these matters you mention. Is there anything I should know about with the mod?
Not really with the Mod. It's more of a general push to use Cortana, One note and other MS products that for me I have no use for. But you being younger may. I find that MS is just a bit too intrusive and controlling. I really hate what it has done multiple times to my Music Library. I have CD's from the 80's and 90's and it's constantly, even after I have restricted the internet search, changing the Album covers, songs on the CD, and even erased songs. All because it's "new" updater for CD info is limited on how far back it will keep it's data base. So I have to re-rip my CD's from time to time to Bring back the music it likes to eat.

And finding where win 10 likes to hide files that you would have normal control over in 7 is a real pain.

But hey, you fight thru the trash they want you to do, to eventually uncover the files and set it up closer to what you like. Just eats time that way. Example like doing a search for Apps/local. Most of the time it will not find it for you because it says you don't have permission. And That is even with you running as Admin. The whole permission hierarchy is really convoluted and out right misleading.

Both my sons refuse to update to 10. They are going to run 7 Pro until it's wheels fall off. ;)

Last edited:
Cortana, One note and other MS products
Other than office, I don't know anything about any of these. We'll see how it goes I guess.

All part of MS wanting you to be connected to their "Cloud". Some ppl have no problem with that. Many Old timers like me find it an unwelcome intrusion. But hey what else can you do? Use a mac or Linux? MS is a monopoly sanctioned now by the Gov't. Nothing is yours any more, you just lease it.

All part of MS wanting you to be connected to their "Cloud". Some ppl have no problem with that. Many Old timers like me find it an unwelcome intrusion. But hey what else can you do? Use a mac or Linux? MS is a monopoly sanctioned now by the Gov't. Nothing is yours any more, you just lease it.
It's the way land has always been under the European way I suppose. I'm not going to be using the latest office version since it requires a monthly fee. We're planning on getting the one before that. I do resent and resist this push for all software to be a monthly bill rather than something you actually possess.

Not really with the Mod. It's more of a general push to use Cortana, One note and other MS products that for me I have no use for. But you being younger may. I find that MS is just a bit too intrusive and controlling. I really hate what it has done multiple times to my Music Library. I have CD's from the 80's and 90's and it's constantly, even after I have restricted the internet search, changing the Album covers, songs on the CD, and even erased songs. All because it's "new" updater for CD info is limited on how far back it will keep it's data base. So I have to re-rip my CD's from time to time to Bring back the music it likes to eat.
Where do you keep stuff? My Documents?
Folders on Desktop?
I guess you need to change place where you keep your stuff.
I wonder if that's how @Toffer90 or @Dancing Hoskuld keeps their stuff untouched by Windows.
I think they know how to make windows 10 shut up.

Last edited:
Disable Cortana, it's BS, delete all the "apps", a computer has software/programs, not applications.
Disable settings like location service, tailored experience, speech recognition stuff, anything related to sending user data to Microsoft to improve your user experience.
Disable UAC completely, it's a hysteric "are you sure you want to do this?" security layer, it's only meant for complete nitwits who might modify their windows registry or deleting system files without understanding that this may break the computer completely.
Don't store personal files in the UserFolder, that folder will get cluttered by so much trash that you don't want to navigate that mess; it is mostly meant for temporary files, automatic storing of software configurations, and many games keep game data like save files and game settings there.
Create your own personal folder on a different drive or closer to the root of the system drive, that way you have full control of every folder and files within it whatever that may be.
Make sure you set up your user account to be an administrator account, that way there will be less annoyances while using the system.
There are lot's of guides around about tweaking windows 10, removing unnecessary stuff and annoyances, google "windows 10 tweaks/configuration/improvements/etc. (one at a time google doesn't understand slashes the way humans do. ^^)".

Install "Classic Shell", or perhaps rather the new "Open Shell" which is a fork of the now discontinued "Classic Shell". Classic Shell still works well for Win 10, but who knows for how long that may last.

Last edited:
Disable Cortana, it's BS, delete all the "apps", a computer has software/programs, not applications.
Disable settings like location service, tailored experience, speech recognition stuff, anything related to sending user data to Microsoft to improve your user experience.
Disable UAC completely, it's a hysteric "are you sure you want to do this?" security layer, it's only meant for complete nitwits who might modify their windows registry or deleting system files without understanding that this may break the computer completely.
Don't store personal files in the UserFolder, that folder will get cluttered by so much trash that you don't want to navigate that mess; it is mostly meant for temporary files, automatic storing of software configurations, and many games keep game data like save files and game settings there.
Create your own personal folder on a different drive or closer to the root of the system drive, that way you have full control of every folder and files within it whatever that may be.
Make sure you set up your user account to be an administrator account, that way there will be less annoyances while using the system.
There are lot's of guides around about tweaking windows 10, removing unnecessary stuff and annoyances, google "windows 10 tweaks/configuration/improvements/etc. (one at a time google doesn't understand slashes the way humans do. ^^)".

Install "Classic Shell", or perhaps rather the new "Open Shell" which is a fork of the now discontinued "Classic Shell". Classic Shell still works well for Win 10, but who knows for how long that may last.
I've managed to figure how to do most of this. I still have some gaps. Did not know about "Classic shell"/Open Shell though.

Of course If you disable UAC, which I think I've done properly, win 10 will balk if you have limited the Upgrade functions too much.

Before I went back to win 7 I had Win 10 do a Complete re-install because I had blocked their pet programs for a year. Only was getting the security Updates. So MS win 10 declared that my version was a security risk and did an re-install.

Turned on the computer one morning and it came up with the "Don't turn off your computer" warning and proceeded to spend the next several hours re-doing win 10. I lost personal files. I now have a 2nd 1TB HD for keeping my personal stuff Off the 1TB HD that has win 10 installed on it. So far this has worked well.

@T-brd not trying to scare you off of win 10, but giving you a "Heads up" over things you may encounter with using it.

I wish I had an SSD drive, but budget has not allowed it. You know the old retired fixed income bugaboo that happens when you reach a certain age. :p

Don't forget: Go for Win 10 Pro and defer upgrades! While new functionality is nice, MS is absolutely great in breaking things with these functional upgrades. A few months later (when "everyone else" is done with the beta test) it should be safe to take the functional upgrade. (I wish I had an Enterprise license and could defer completely.)

Heyo, feel I've got a bit of a "Not working as Intended" issue, SVN Rev. 10265: I'm in the early Modern Era, and have just build the Empire State Building, which provides 3 random resources. However, there seem to be either no or insufficient restrictions on the index for available resources as I appear to have rolled up 'Martian Electronics' and 'Martian Manufactured Goods'. I'm assuming it isn't intended to get future resources from the building, so figured it was worth a report.

Heyo, feel I've got a bit of a "Not working as Intended" issue, SVN Rev. 10265: I'm in the early Modern Era, and have just build the Empire State Building, which provides 3 random resources. However, there seem to be either no or insufficient restrictions on the index for available resources as I appear to have rolled up 'Martian Electronics' and 'Martian Manufactured Goods'. I'm assuming it isn't intended to get future resources from the building, so figured it was worth a report.
Looks like its python bug, @Toffer90 can fix it.

The mouseover gives a hugely inflated figure that you will receive for 'selling' a unit. For example, for a Bard it says you will receive 240 gold - you actually get 14.

Delete cache C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword
Tried to no avail.

I also have to add that I am not playing the SVN, but the current stable release (posted in wrong thread by mistake). Might it be that I have some old bug already fixed in SVN ?

Tried to no avail.

I also have to add that I am not playing the SVN, but the current stable release (posted in wrong thread by mistake). Might it be that I have some old bug already fixed in SVN ?
Very very likely.

To me it makes little sense that the empire state building should provide resources around a city, so I'm thinking I should just remove the python code that does this entirely.

What do others think, should I remove it, or fix the problem described above in the quote?

To me it makes little sense that the empire state building should provide resources around a city, so I'm thinking I should just remove the python code that does this entirely.

What do others think, should I remove it, or fix the problem described above in the quote?
It doesn't spawn resources around city, it provides 3 random resources.

You can remove that feature though.

If you remove the feature then you should also remove the wonder because that is what makes it a wonder. Last time I tested it was about 2 years ago and it worked then.

We have far too many wonders that are not wonderus because they have not been fleshed out.

If you remove the feature then you should also remove the wonder because that is what makes it a wonder. Last time I tested it was about 2 years ago and it worked then.
It works, it just pulls resources from the space side of things and needs an added filter. Toffer is questioning the legitimacy of the game effect and I'm... ambivalent. I get the nature of the question. I also understand that it's supposed to be a result of trade and enhanced innovative industry from companies that work there. But it's also a 'resource out of nowhere' kind of concept which is trading a touch of irrationality for a unique game effect.

It works, it just pulls resources from the space side of things and needs an added filter.
I think bonus class can be only one per defined bonus.
Here is resource list available only to space colonies (I have full resource list in excel).

MARS_ROCKS
MARS_VEGETABLES
MARS_PARTS
MARS_ELECTRONICS
MARS_ALGAE
MARS_FRUIT
MARS_CROPS
YGGDRASIL_SEEDS
KUGELBLITZ
WARP_DRIVES
AB_MATTER
TIME_CRYSTAL
DARK_MATTER
PERSONAL_STARCRAFT
EXOTIC_PARTICLE
MAGNETIC_MONOPOLES
NEUTRONIUM
CHRONOTON
CONSCIOUS_MATERIAL
ARTISAN_PLANETS
PERSONAL_HYPERCRAFT
TESSERACT_BONUS
UNOBTAINIUM

We have far too many wonders that are not wonderus because they have not been fleshed out.
So more wonders should use Python for extra benefits?

Top Bottom