Single Player bugs and crashes v39 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of July 2019

u know it would be nice in those icon if u did them like the religious one, in the upper corner of them have like an A, P, C, M, R etc etc, and if two same alphabet put the first 2 letters, just sayin' . . . .

infact from looking at them, i insist, , ,
I don't like the idea of putting letter onto these small icons, if they aren't intuitive enough for the player to remember what era they represent after playing with those icons for some months then the icons are not good enough.
Then there's the translations, the letters may be wrong for other languages.

If someone wants to redo the icons (there's only two of them at the moment) then that's fine by me, but I won't spend time adding letters on top of small pictures in this case.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of putting letter onto these small icons, if they aren't intuitive enough for the player to remember what era they represent after playing with those icons for some months then the icons are not good enough.
Then there's the translations, the letters may be wrong for other languages.

If someone wants to redo the icons (there's only two of them at the moment) then that's fine by me, but I won't spend time adding letters on top of small pictures in this case.
that doesnt make any sense what ur saying?? standard CivIV, read out each era , Ancient, Classical etc etc same as Bts.
C2C added a few and STILL read out the words in ENGLISH, ,, Prehistoric, Ancient, Classical, etc etc etc

then YOU change it to just read ERA for some darn reason, but even as u put ur mouse over the word ERA. it still read out in English: Ancient, Classical, etc etc. .(pic)

now u put some kind of icon/btn there that no ones going to understand what it is , and still the words r in English?? say what?? lol

so if this is the case then lets go back to the ORIGINAL way and put the ENGLISH words BACK there were they belong, then other countries can put THEIR words in there in their language if they way want as before in CivIV/BtS/C2C
i'm just sayin'

Attachments

• erta.JPG
    erta.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 60
that doesnt make any sense what ur saying?? standard CivIV, read out each era , Ancient, Classical etc etc same as Bts.
C2C added a few and STILL read out the words in ENGLISH, ,, Prehistoric, Ancient, Classical, etc etc etc
It was only in English when you played the game in English, the era names have translations.
then YOU change it to just read ERA for some darn reason, but even as u put ur mouse over the word ERA. it still read out in English: Ancient, Classical, etc etc. .(pic)
now u put some kind of icon/btn there that no ones going to understand what it is , and still the words r in English?? say what?? lol
Because the whole name of an era takes too much space, and the tooltip will translate the name to other languages when you play the game in other languages.

I thought you meant that we should add the letters into the texture since you were referring to how religious buildings and unit icons have their own religion icon in the corner of the button.
And my reaction was that that would mean that the letters could only be translated by adding one era icon per language per era, and then in code decide which texture was correct to use for this era based on what language the player is using.

Would you really prefer text only (no icons) that spells out one of these in the upper left corner:
Pre, Anc, Cla, Med, Ren, Ind, Ato, Inf, etc.
?

It was only in English when you played the game in English, the era names have translations.
Because the whole name of an era takes too much space, and the tooltip will translate the name to other languages when you play the game in other languages.

I thought you meant that we should add the letters into the texture since you were referring to how religious buildings and unit icons have their own religion icon in the corner of the button.
And my reaction was that that would mean that the letters could only be translated by adding one era icon per language per era, and then in code decide which texture was correct to use for this era based on what language the player is using.

Would you really prefer text only (no icons) that spells out one of these in the upper left corner:
Pre, Anc, Cla, Med, Ren, Ind, Ato, Inf, etc.
?
i tell u what, yes to the last ques... but i will leave it up to TB, HE is IN CHARGE,, hows that . . .??

I haven't seen these yet - can we post the images here?
Prehistoric.jpg
Prehistoric Era
Ancient.jpg
Ancient Era
Other.jpg
Other eras, not given any icons yet.
Renaissance.jpg
Renaissance Era. (Potential alternative to icons)

I guess I could add a bug option to switch between icons and the first three letters of the era name. I don't like insignificant options like this though, I would much rather prefer the team to agree on one or the other.
I'm willing to scrap the era icon method completely, if we can't agree.

Last edited:
My personal preference would be for the image. But I'm wondering if there's another place that can make it very clear what the image means? Is it possible to put that in the pedia somewhere? The problem, as I see it, is that there's nothing that's created the reference in the mind directly to the point that as soon as you see it you know immediately what it is. We could get used to it over time but it would help to have somewhere we could check to be sure we're right about what we THINK it may mean.

But I'm wondering if there's another place that can make it very clear what the image means? Is it possible to put that in the pedia somewhere? The problem, as I see it, is that there's nothing that's created the reference in the mind directly to the point that as soon as you see it you know immediately what it is. We could get used to it over time but it would help to have somewhere we could check to be sure we're right about what we THINK it may mean.
When you put your mouse on the icon then a tooltip comes up telling the name of the era. Isn't that good enough?

I could make pedia pages for eras anyway though, there are some era modifiers that some players may appreciate to be able to read about in-game.
Right clicking the era icon could take you to the pedia page of the current era.
All vanilla eras have strategy text that I don't think is displayed anywhere at the moment. The strategy text could be expanded upon if we had pedia pages for them.

Last edited:
When you put your mouse on the icon then a tooltip comes up telling the name of the era. Isn't that good enough?
Yeah that would work for me.

@strategyonly : with the hover over to help you if you forget which era the icon means, is that not enough?

I could make pedia pages for eras anyway though, there are some era modifiers that some players may appreciate to be able to read about in-game.
Right clicking the era icon could take you to the pedia page of the current era.
All vanilla eras have strategy text that I don't think is displayed anywhere at the moment. The strategy text could be expanded upon if we had pedia pages for them.
Yeah, that could be a nice touch!

Those images are too detailed and would look bad as icons.

Better to leave it as Pre, Anc, Cla, etc.

Those images are too detailed and would look bad as icons.
I think he meant icons like those, just that they would be simpler versions.
Is there space above flag or something? Flag could be lowered.

hmm... I didn't get a hang with this save. This is the next turn. I'm not sure if it's possible that the debug dll is what cleaned up a gamestate or something - I'm going to check running under a different dll here. In the meantime, here's the save so you can play it.

EDIT: Yeah the core dll doesn't hang either for me.

Attachments

• StrategyOnly AD-1269.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.7 MB · Views: 704
Last edited:
hmm... I didn't get a hang with this save. This is the next turn. I'm not sure if it's possible that the debug dll is what cleaned up a gamestate or something - I'm going to check running under a different dll here. In the meantime, here's the save so you can play it.

ok, i did a recal and it still hangs for me, even ur's does. . .

I believe its has to do with Toffers changes to the era stuff, because it has the OLD icons there, and not the new ones that he just changed yo again not even with the reclac's

Just tried again with an older savedgame and it hangs also?? i now had to restart my PC 4 times. .

Last edited:
ok, i did a recal and it still hangs for me, even ur's does. . .

I believe its has to do with Toffers changes to the era stuff, because it has the OLD icons there, and not the new ones that he just changed yo again not even with the reclac's
That's not usually a likely cause - might be an option causing this? I'm not sure.

EDIT: Rechecked this after thinking maybe I was not seeing the hang because I didn't recalculate, so I did, and I still don't get a hang.

Last edited:

With the release dll that save takes really long but the debug dll doesn't show that issue.
Might be another really odd issue maybe from the PPIO merge.

Top Bottom