Single Player bugs and crashes v42 plus (SVN) - After April 2022

It was different stuff.

Upgrade to Windows 10 - there are games that require this system at minimum and won't run Win7!
Or use Vista SP2 compatibility mode.
Nope, upgrading to Windows 8+ is not going to happen. (Though I've gotten the upgrade, AFAIK tied to my motherboard, from Win7 to 10, juuust in case, when Microsoft was still offering it for free. Saved the Win10 key, and then reinstalled Win7.)
Win 10 is declaring my computer Illegal
Hmm, can you be more specific ? (Yeah, sounds like that's for Win11, can you try forcing Win10 ?)

My PC, however, can NOT upgrade to Win11, since I'm missing the (you-are-not-)trusted (DRM) chip for that. And it is fine, I wouldn't want it any other way anyway... (imagine having to pay for *that* !)

As for the software... Linux or GTFO !

Speaking of which, I'm curious, what are those games that do not work on Win7 *in practice*, rather than just the devs not wanting to give official support for an old OS ?
(C2C works fine, and I don't think that I ever needed messing with any compatibility settings to run Civ4 ? I might be forgetting though...
How well does Wine run it, especially with C2C ?)

So far I've only had issues with the Oculus Rift, which is all kinds of bullfeathers, since Win7 support was literally on the box (but removed for later boxes)... I'm wondering if they have violated any customer laws by doing this ?
But then I haven't really looked into it, might be just me, and not other people with Win7... not that I care since Facebook is soon going to mandate creating a Facebook (or I guess Meta now ?) account to make it work, at which point I'd get rid of it anyway !

Nope, upgrading to Windows 8+ is not going to happen. (Though I've gotten the upgrade, AFAIK tied to my motherboard, from Win7 to 10, juuust in case, when Microsoft was still offering it for free. Saved the Win10 key, and then reinstalled Win7.)
Well some games like Victoria 3 require DirectX 12 for some reason - and its only available for Windows 10 land later.

What makes you think it requires DirectX 12 ?
(Especially since it (mostly?) still seems to use the first featured in 2007 Clausewitz engine
- which is why the 2016 Stellaris still had DirectX 9 as minimum requirements ?)

Besides, for Victoria 12 it's kind of moot, since it's supposed to have Linux (and Mac) support on day 1 ?

But yeah, ugh about DirectX 12. Especially since there's even *less* reason to use DirectX now that we have Vulkan in the lead !
But I guess that Microsoft is never going to allow Vulkan on its consoles, which means that a large chunk of games are going to be forced to support DirectX too...

Last edited:
What makes you think it requires DirectX 12 ?
(Especially since it (mostly?) still seems to use the first featured in 2007 Clausewitz engine
- which is why the 2016 Stellaris still had DirectX 9 as minimum requirements ?)

Besides, for Victoria 12 it's kind of moot, since it's supposed to have Linux (and Mac) support on day 1 ?

But yeah, ugh about DirectX 12. Especially since there's even *less* reason to use DirectX now that we have Vulkan in the lead !
But I guess that Microsoft is never going to allow Vulkan on its consoles, which means that a large chunk of games are going to be forced to support DirectX too...
Either way devs don't want to support Windows 7 because it doesn't have updates anymore.

Win XP, 7, and 10 are the good "modern" iterations of windows. Windows 11 is more akin to windows vista, and 8, in some ways better in others worse, but overall these are terrible windows versions. I don't see any reason why one shouldn't use windows 10, it is basically just like windows 7 if one disables/ignore Cortana and the new concept of apps that it ships with. Personally I've reinstalled windows 10 2-3 times, upgraded my motherboard once and it never gave me any hassle about licensing. I stuck with windows 7 for 2 years before upgrading to see how it fared and to skip its child diseases, but I haven't regretted that I did the upgrade around 5 years ago, it basically just gave me faster boot time and no apparent downsides.

Either way devs don't want to support Windows 7 because it doesn't have updates anymore.
It still gets (security-only ?) updates, every month or so...

I don't see any reason why one shouldn't use windows 10, it is basically just like windows 7 if one disables/ignore Cortana and the new concept of apps that it ships with.
Also, off the top of my head : telemetry (though partially backported to Win7 ?), inconsistent interface because of Microsoft not knowing what to do between tiles and windows, repeated nagging about Microsoft accounts, ads inside the OS (that you paid for !), finally the whole "boiling the frog deal" - did you just ignore all the reasons given in that video ??
(Also, come on, with SSDs the difference in boot times is negligible - most of it is spent waiting for GRUB to switch to Windows anyway - not to mention that the new default (not-)shutdown mode comes with its own annoyances...)

More generally, this is about stopping using GAFAMs. (And most USA-based companies : the USA have abused their trust for long enough, they are not welcome here any more.)

did you just ignore all the reasons given in that video ??
What video?

Also, off the top of my head : telemetry (though partially backported to Win7 ?), inconsistent interface because of Microsoft not knowing what to do between tiles and windows, repeated nagging about Microsoft accounts, ads inside the OS (that you paid for !), finally the whole "boiling the frog deal"
• Unless you have the home edition then you should already have turned off telemetry during the windows install (not trivial to disable on home edition from what I heard).
• Tiles, not sure what they are, if you mean the new settings app thingy (design wise not like a normal window) then yeah, I don't like the settings app, control panel is still there though, and most things can be done through the control panel still. Edit: Or maybe you meant the tiling thing that occur if one moves the window close to the screen edge?
• Interface is for me the same on window 10 as it was on wiindows 7, as I use Open-Shell and used it for windows 7 too to get something more similar to windows XP/98.
• The Microsoft account thing was annoying, I ended up capitulating my principle on that and just tied my windows to my Microsoft account, the nagging stopped then and it didn't change anything negatively; a bit like having a PlayStation network account tied to one's local PlayStation profile.
• Ads inside the OS??? Never seen this...
• No idea what "boiling the frog" refers to here, probably a reference to the video you referenced that I haven't seen.

Spoiler Interface screenshot :
1666008354347.png

Last edited:
My PC, however, can NOT upgrade to Win11, since I'm missing the (you-are-not-)trusted (DRM) chip for that. And it is fine, I wouldn't want it any other way anyway... (imagine having to pay for *that* !)
This video ^

Unless you have the home edition then you should already have turned off telemetry during the windows install (not trivial to disable on home edition from what I heard).
Ah, but does it *really* turn off all telemetry ? (Considering how it has been allegedly backported to Win7...)

(Also, I'm not even talking about the likely to exist, well hidden, and likely seldom used NSA backdoor : likely because of what transpired from the Snowden scandal, that has shown how Microsoft and Google (among others) were all in with their "help", and also because the NSA was repeatedly caught backdooring critical systems - this is an issue for government agencies and private companies that might suffer from industrial espionage, not private citizens - well, unless one of these backdoors ends up with black hats or hostile regimes, which I still consider unlikely.)

Or maybe you meant the tiling thing that occur if one moves the window close to the screen edge?
By Tiles, not Windows, I mean this :

Windows Tiles 8 was actually pretty nice on the Surface Pro 3-
(yeah, I know, but I couldn't resist, for all its faults its still a great piece of hardware, truly a netbook successor, and it *does* run Ubuntu well - in fact better in terms of performance than Windows !)
- and the upgrade to Windows (Tiles ?) 10 actually made the interface worse by dialing back on Tiles,
but at some point you just can't have an interface that performs as well on even a medium touchscreen and on mouse&keyboard !

Interface is for me the same on window 10 as it was on wiindows 7, as I use Open-Shell and used it for windows 7 too to get something more similar to windows XP/98.
Very nice, but it took years for Microsoft to even bring an option to have this back without 3rd party software on Windows Tiles.

• Ads inside the OS??? Never seen this...

I guess it's *slightly* less glaring as Microsoft is soon going to own the maker of Candy Crush (through their acquisition of Activision-Blizzard), but still...

Hmm, can you be more specific ? (Yeah, sounds like that's for Win11, can you try forcing Win10 ?)

As for the software... Linux or GTFO !

Speaking of which, I'm curious, what are those games that do not work on Win7 *in practice*, rather than just the devs not wanting to give official support for an old OS ?
(C2C works fine, and I don't think that I ever needed messing with any compatibility settings to run Civ4 ? I might be forgetting though...
How well does Wine run it, especially with C2C ?)

So far I've only had issues with the Oculus Rift, which is all kinds of bullfeathers, since Win7 support was literally on the box (but removed for later boxes)... I'm wondering if they have violated any customer laws by doing this ?
But then I haven't really looked into it, might be just me, and not other people with Win7... not that I care since Facebook is soon going to mandate creating a Facebook (or I guess Meta now ?) account to make it work, at which point I'd get rid of it anyway !
I had to replace my Motherboard and CPU and Power supply and video card. Motherboard started to short out which made the power supply send too much voltage to the Vid card. Or it was the PS that sent too much voltage to motherboard 1st and then to videocard. A total trainwreck in either case. Hard drives and dvd drive only things still good. So even after following Microsoft instruction about part replacements the on-line connection from Micro don't like my computer any more. I'm not buying another win 10 digital license again either.

The only thing about win 7 vs 10+ here is that there are some crash bugs in 7 we can't do anything about but to suggest to go with a more recent platform. That's about all I can really say to add to the discussion - there's nothing we can do about those strange glitches in 7 with the exe that I suspect take place because of an oversight in 7 that won't be resolved but that was resolved in 10+. I don't know about 11 - I've seen no reason to step into that system yet.

I wouldn't want it any other way anyway...
did you just ignore all the reasons given in that video ??
Watched the video, it just talks about how bad windows 11 is which I already know very well, so I don't see how it is all that relevant a counterargument to me stating that there's little reason for the average Joe not to update to windows 10.

hey,

got a repeatable CTD. Files attached.

Attachments

• MiniDump-v42.1.BETA.7245-20220920-200621.dmp.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Culthrasa February 29, AD-0825crash.CivBeyondSwordSave
    9.4 MB · Views: 6
there are some crash bugs in 7 we can't do anything about but to suggest to go with a more recent platform. [...] there's nothing we can do about those strange glitches in 7 with the exe that I suspect take place because of an oversight in 7 that won't be resolved but that was resolved in 10+
Which are caused by what ?

Also, if the solution is to use the Windows XP compatibility mode... then this hardly sounds like an issue, since that was the latest Windows version when Civ4 was released !?

Looks like, it is not fully fixed yet.

v42.1.BETA.7217 - 2022-09-09 on Win7 x64.
Consistently crashes after ending turn, doesn't crash when C2C runs in WinXP compatibility mode.
Crashes for me after ending the turn in Hotseat mode for the 2nd player (wall), both with and without WinXP(SP3) mode for C2C.bat...
But considering the huge map size, this (superficially) looks like it might be a lack of memory issue..?
Maybe Win8+ deals somewhat better with it than Win7 (but for how many more turns ?)

hey,

got a repeatable CTD. Files attached.
I have no crash after recalculating modifiers and ending turn.
It struggles with turn processing though : with the hourglass-equivalent icon and having to select "Wait for this program to respond"... (at least on SVN-11509 ?)

(Both saves tested on both SVN-11507 and SVN-11509 on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Edition.)

Which are caused by what ?

Also, if the solution is to use the Windows XP compatibility mode... then this hardly sounds like an issue, since that was the latest Windows version when Civ4 was released !?
Something in the exe is about all we've been able to determine - however yes, running in compatibility mode with XP is an alternative solution to upgrading to win10 - it's just a bit slow to run that way is what I've heard... not personally verified though. Also, these infrequent win7 crashes are not common problems - repeatable but not common. I also am not 100% sure that it's not a fixable thing, only 100% sure that no dev that knows coding enough TO fix it is running win7 so none have been able to replicate it to find it in the code specifically. And even if we did, some things we've seen before that are along these lines, the coding is fine and it's just some way the compiler encodes the dll from that spot that becomes incompatible with win7 - aka, either way there's really nothing we can do about it.

That doesn't mean we can assume crashes are due to win7 incompatibilities... but if we cannot replicate, it's a likely suspect.

Hello all/ how to fix this?
1666435070886.png
1666435089561.png
1666435101213.png
1666435114408.png
1666435130777.png

Attachments

• Hammurabi BC-190409.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3 MB · Views: 3

Installation guide:
1. Never overwrite old version of mod with new one - always delete old version, as files are often moved, renamed or removed.
2. Mod must be named Caveman2Cosmos and won't work if placed in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS.
If its located there - delete it from that place
So valid install paths will look like this:
For GoG this will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
For steam it will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
Assets folder would exist in Caveman2Cosmos folder - ensure it isn't nested!
3. If game is on system drive "c:", then you need to run as admin.

Or make junction/symbolic link from target location to Mods\Caveman2Cosmos within the directory where BTS is installed.
I do not want/like to run anything with elevated privileges, unless purpose of given program requires it.

Top Bottom