1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculation: New patch and/or DLC on the 21st of november

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by anandus, Oct 21, 2011.

1. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

Our math skillz are poor enough, we get much smarterer by having to constantly change units in our heads! ;)

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

This is a hopeful thread, but there's not a shred of proof that there'll be any new content. We can reasonably speculate once a news source actually releases some news of an expack or DLC. :)

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

Yeah, the only 'proof' is that the last time there was a Civworld ad it ended exactly when the DLC came out.
    So I'm speculating it'll be the same this time around, that there'll be a DLC when the ad ends (on 21-11).
    And it's a very, very far stretch, I totally agree.

(But I didn't put the word 'speculation' in the title for nothing ;) And there's nothing wrong with some wishful thinking :p )

4. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Yeah, the silence is not good. Even if they're not close to releasing their next patch/DLC pack/Expansion/Whatever, at least making appearances would be nice. 2K Greg is a ghost, and no one else from Firaxis has made an appearance in this forum or the official forums since like September, IIRC. A little bit of communication would go a long way. I'd like to at least see what Firaxis is thinking of doing next with the game. It's not the biggest concern in the world to me (I'm busy with classes, and don't even have power and internet at the moment cause of that damn Noreaster that wrecked NJ) but it at least makes it look like you care about the game. Silence just makes the community not trust Firaxis/2K, and that's not a good thing.

5. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

My take on the DLC/Patch situation is that Firaxis is more likely working furiously to finish a console game than they are to be working on anything for Civ 5 at the moment. They've already picked all of the low-hanging fruit as far as DLC and patches. "Fixing" the Combat AI of "fixing" Diplomacy may happen - or it may not. In the world of game development the push from the publisher is more toward releasing a new game more than it is to polishing one that's already made at least 90% of its possible sales.

6. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

There is no doubt in my mind that they are working on an expansion. They are comfortable with the state of the game with the slurry of major patches that have put the game in very good condition. The only place to go now is expansion. Be patient.

7. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

As many other users have pointed out, DLC and expansion are not mutually exclusive. It could indeed be a DLC that adds new features (I.E., expansion via steam).

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

True, but this isn't entirely baseless speculation either. There's some evidence and a reasonable (if potentially false) inference from that (that the last time they did this, DLC was released at the end).

9. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Prince

I think that players want a Civ5 expansion so badly that they're grasping at straws and willing to believe any kind of speculation that new DLC or an expansion is coming soon.

I acknowledge that Civ5 expansion is long overdue considering that the first Civ4 expansion came less than a year after, and the second expansion almost exactly a year later. At the very least Firaxis should've announced an expansion by now, to drive up hype and interest in it. But there's been nothing!

Some have speculated that Firaxis has been busy patching the game, creating DLC, and building CivWorld for Facebook :cringe: to develop an expansion for Civ5.

The latter seems the most likely.

10. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

My opinion on the matter: Calm before the storm

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

There is going to be something going on soon. I have a hunch! I believe it is a calm before the storm. I am sure 2K Greg loves the speculation. If it was me I would, what great drama, what do they think we are up to now with CiV?

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?114428-2k-greg...-status

2K Greg is staying quiet for a reason. I just know it. I used to talk to Jon Shafer, he was a nice guy, but ever so secretive. He would not tell me CiV was in the works. His exact words were, "if there is something big going on I can't tell you." He should have just said, "YES THERE IS!" I wonder who is lead designer now? I never did hear since he left? Has anyone?

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Shafer wasn't in charge of Firaxis. He probably had some duty to both Firaxis and 2K to not reveal information in a way that would hurt their later advertising campaigns.

IIRC, Dennis Shirk is currently in charge of Civ5's ongoing refinement and new developments.

13. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

To me, the speculation is driven in large part by the fact that Civ 3 and Civ 4 accustomed us to big expansions. It is helpful to remember that those expansions occurred when the only means of distribution was via CD/DVD. My thought is that big expansions may well be a thing of the past because incremental expansions via DLC are cheaper and easier to produce and distribute. The bigger the package, the more QA and development time (Think, $$$$) it takes to bring it to market. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that big, monolithic expansions like Civ 3's Play the World or Civ 4's Beyond the Sword won't be seen again.

14. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I'm fed up of waiting for nuke defense to get patched. 50% interception my arse! They surely could of fixed that a long time ago...

15. SmileyMan

SmileyMan Chieftain

Imagine what it's like waiting for Pitboss then! :crazyeye:

16. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Source code anyone?

17. Tantor

Tantor Warlord

New UU`s have been the point of endless debates on the forum, but I have a different suggestion. The UU is based on history, but history doesn`t necessarily repeat itself in CiV. My suggestion is to make some units available upon completing different policies. This will reflect the actual game and not previous history.

For example:

Commerce: Merchant raider/ privateer
    Piety: Religious fanatic/ holy warrior / crusader
    Tradition (monarchy): Royal Guard
    Honour: Mercenary
    Liberty: Pioneer (armed settler)
    Autocracy: Storm trooper
    Freedom: UN Peacekeeper

Yoy get the picture by now, and I`, sure you got even better suggestions than mine :)

18. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Prince

We would've heard about even a "small expansion" to Civ5 months ahead of time.

Even the $10-15 mini-expansions for various games are available on Steam are announced at least a month prior to their release. For example, the "Rise of the Samurai" expansion campaign to Shogun 2: Total War was announced two months prior to its release.

I predict that if and when the inevitable Civ5 expansion pack is released, there will probably be two versions available on Steam. There will be a standard expansion that has all-new content, but it won't seem as large as the Conquests or Beyond the Sword expansions for Civ3 and Civ4, respectively. Hopefully it'll only be priced $15-20, like the DLC mini-expansions for most Steam games. There will also be an expansion bundle that includes all of the DLC with the new content, probably for $30-40, which has been the retail price for previous Civ expansions. The bundle will seem as large as the aforementioned Civ expansions because of the bundled DLC civs, maps, and scenarios.

Regardless, we should hear about an expansion months prior to its release date -- and so far nothing. A patch or minor DLC could be released in November, but it's not going to be a full expansion pack.

Those are my predictions -- we'll have to wait and see.

19. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

In www.civforum.de, the German fortuneteller came to a word stating that

he thinks that there will not be any DLCs prior to January or February of 2012. :sad:

20. Dusk

Dusk Prince

My prediction is Q1 2012 at the earlist for new stuff. If they were doing some sort of christmas release we would've known about it by now.