Stalin's Contributions to History

The Haitian expedition was in a sense punitive, because the slaves, who had been badly mistreated, rose up in one of the most brutal insurrections, nearly slaughtering the entire french colonial population in the west half of the island. The french responded predictably, in which they were assisted by a large population of free blacks. Haiti was a rigid caste system at the time. I'm not defending French actions but to pull it out as an example of Napoleon's personal intolerance or brutality seems misplaced.

I think Robespierre was a more dreadful person than Napoleon overall, but at least the former had good sense to not suppress the Haitians over what the French were allegedly fighting for on the home front. In that, I credit him, and fault Napoleon.

Well, Dragonlord is oversimplifying things. But that seems to be his exact intention in order to highlight both's "evilness".

Judging what is good and evil in deed barely has any relation to what I would call "truth".

Quite right! My contention is that you can find good things to say about even the worst dictators, including Hitler and Stalin, if you search long enough. It's just that I find that meaningless when their deeds are so overwhelmingly negative.

You can still find people in Germany (thankfully, a very small minority) who will say things like "Hitler wasn't all bad, at least he ended mass unemployment and made the trains run on time!" Leaving aside the question of whether he actually did or not, just how does that stack against the Holocaust and making war on all of Europe? Not at all, of course. Same with Stalin, IMHO. And I can think of another few dictators of whom I would say the same: Mao, Pol Pot, .... all dictators who committed mass murder in the name of their pet ideology.

I don't really see Napoleon (sorry, Dachs!) in the same category - he's more of a mixed case, a power-hungry expansionistic warlord certainly, quite willing to accept casualties to reach his goals, but not a mass-murderer in the sense I'm thinking of, Haiti notwithstanding. I think what happened there was more or less inevitable in the context of the times - any other monarch would have reacted much the same as Napoleon did. Sadly.

The Russian campaign killed half a million people.. that's pretty impressive even today.

Hmmm, I seem to see a difference between campaign and mass murder. Could just be me ofcourse...

Alexander the Great did not commit "mass murder," unless you consider military campaigns to be so, which is an unconventional usage of the term.

You can apply the term "brutal dictatorial mass murderer" to Napoleon. But, if you do it, you also need to apply it to a whole bunch of historical leaders, from Alexander the Great to Andrew Jackson.

Napoleon is responsible for alot of death but almost all of them are from war.

Nope, not just me then.

Because

a) Napoleon wasn´t a brutal dictator
b) Napoleon wasn´t a mass murderer.

Those are terms from the 20th century and shouldn´t be used as labels for anything preceding mass production. (Caesar was dictator and he could be ruthless, but he´s also famed for his clemency towards political enemies. Had he been a brutal dictator, his assassinators might not have been around anymore to do him in.)

As to genocide, again a 20th century term, yet it can be applied earlier. (For instance Caesar in his Gallic campaign practically wiped out a tribe rising against Roman - i.e. his - rule.)

a) Napoleon wasn´t a brutal dictator

He was certainly a dictator, and brutal is up for debate.

b) Napoleon wasn´t a mass murderer.

The guy was up to his neck in blood, but I guess war and massacre deaths don't count as murder. Curious old world.

Those are terms from the 20th century and shouldn´t be used as labels for anything preceding mass production.

What, you can't be a brutal dictator without the assembly line? I swear I know there have been more than a few...

JEELEN said:
Hmmm, I seem to see a difference between campaign and mass murder. Could just be me ofcourse...

Because all the moral burden evaporates if states just declare war!

The Russian campaign killed half a million people.. that's pretty impressive even today.

Do you mean the half a million french, or half a million russians in their own scorched earth, hit and run campaign ? This is not evidence of Napoleon as a mass murderer, maybe the development of a megalomania overconfidence.

I've been over this topic and it seems to degenerate into an emotional reaction to presumed Napoleon hero-worship. Casting doubt on small details of this or that aspect of the wars does not change the fact that most of his agressions were against hostile coalitions that posed a threat on multiple quarters, that he treated said states with consistent restraint and diplomatic equality, and in conquered territories he initially laid the seeds of new nation states or tried to institute republics. Naturally in 25 years of warfare there was going to be some instances of brutality. But overall, I believe Napoleon's actions were in large part responsible for the fair terms the allies offered France at the Congress of Vienna.

that he treated said states with consistent restraint and diplomatic equality, and in conquered territories he initially laid the seeds of new nation states or tried to institute republics.
You know how I'm trying to take you seriously in that top-five thread?

Yeah, I'm not going to do that anymore. :shake:

you disagree with that statement, fine. Entirely, partially, or in a few minor circumstances ? I'm talking about the major powers here. Do u also disagree with this:
This is not evidence of Napoleon as a mass murderer, maybe the development of a megalomania overconfidence.
or this:
the fair terms the allies offered France at the Congress of Vienna

Your own credibility is at stake here too pal, and insisting on grouping napoleon with hitler and stalin puts the onus on you to assess the man in his entirety. Is there a single source you can provide which does a balanced job of that ?

Do you mean the half a million french, or half a million russians in their own scorched earth, hit and run campaign ?
That was a result of Napoleons invasion of Russia. Just like the British losses in WWII were because of their policy to defend themselves, not as a result of Hilter.

But overall, I believe Napoleon's actions were in large part responsible for the fair terms the allies offered France at the Congress of Vienna.
I would guess that is more because a lot of countries did not want a power vaccuum in Western Europe and wanted a potentially very powerful ally.

That was a result of Napoleons invasion of Russia. Just like the British losses in WWII were because of their policy to defend themselves, not as a result of Hilter.

I would guess that is more because a lot of countries did not want a power vaccuum in Western Europe and wanted a potentially very powerful ally.

true enough say, but if napoleon's treatment had been harsher than the allies in their own circumstances, do you think such generous terms would have been offered ? They would have taken steps to dismantle the power machinery in France and ensure it never became a threat again.

true enough say, but if napoleon's treatment had been harsher than the allies in their own circumstances, do you think such generous terms would have been offered ? They would have taken steps to dismantle the power machinery in France and ensure it never became a threat again.
The the Western treatment of Japan and Germany in 1945, eh?

well i was thinking of the treaty of versailes in 1919*. I think we've learned to get along a bit better since 1815, but its taken awhile.

I figured as much.

But none of the three time periods are really comparable.

For example, the West (in paticular the US) saw huge benefits is having a friendly Japan and West Germany after WWII, both as markets and to help counterbalance the power of the Soviets by providing forward bases without constantly fighting with the German and Japanese people.
In 1918 France in particular saw Germany as a pure threat. There was no greater threat. It had to be broken. And it isn't like that many attrocities were comitted by the German Army, at least not near teh scale of 1939-1945.

In 1814/15 they faced a very different geopolitical world. And you can't ignore the influence of Talleyrand, whom the Germans had no equivalent off at Versailles.

You could say the same of France in 1815, that they didn't commit that many atrocities but had historically posed a significant threat. It brought closure to a long period where France was the biggest agressor. Talleyrand must have done a good job but I also think guys like Wellington believed France deserved a second chance.

Sure Napoleon made demands on the rival empires, maybe even unreasonable ones. But he still respected their sovereignity when signing peace terms, after they continued to break them. Yes he did try to enforce unpopular governments in lesser states, but is it not possible he thought he was offering a better alternative than what they had ? How many instances of wholesale destruction ocurred in such a long career of warfare ? He even sacked Massena for awhile for looting.

you disagree with that statement, fine. Entirely, partially, or in a few minor circumstances ? I'm talking about the major powers here. Do u also disagree with this:
I'm uninterested in characterizations of men as 'mass murderers', because it's ridiculously subjective.
vogtmurr said:
I think that "fairness" is not really something for me to evaluate either, on the grounds of subjectivity; rest assured that the treatment of occupied France in 1814 and 1815 was in spite of what Napoleon did to the other European powers, not because of it.
vogtmurr said:
Your own credibility is at stake here too pal, and insisting on grouping napoleon with hitler and stalin puts the onus on you to assess the man in his entirety. Is there a single source you can provide which does a balanced job of that ?
Yep. P. W. Schroeder, The Transformation of European Politics, 1763-1848.
true enough say, but if napoleon's treatment had been harsher than the allies in their own circumstances, do you think such generous terms would have been offered ?
Generous terms were offered in spite of France's past actions, not because of them; simply look at what Metternich and Castlereagh were forced to discuss all the way up to the agreement at Chaumont in 1814. The Russians and the Prussians were out for blood, and not an insignificant number of Austrians too.
vogtmurr said:
They would have taken steps to dismantle the power machinery in France and ensure it never became a threat again.
And the Russians and Prussians advocated same. Instead, France got off more lightly than it had treated Prussia; only three years of occupation and a relatively small indemnity, and most of France's core territory remained intact.
In 1814/15 they faced a very different geopolitical world. And you can't ignore the influence of Talleyrand, whom the Germans had no equivalent off at Versailles.
You should ignore the so-called influence of Talleyrand, because he did not persuade the allies to do anything they would not have otherwise done. His influence is colossally overestimated because of his memoirs, of course, and his persistent role (like a cockroach) in French policy for another two decades. Perhaps the sole thing that can be reliably laid at his own feet is the near-war between Prussia and the rest of Europe in the winter of 1814 over Saxony.
You could say the same of France in 1815, that they didn't commit that many atrocities but had historically posed a significant threat. It brought closure to a long period where France was the biggest agressor.
Only in retrospect. That was about as clear as mud in 1830, when the French made a rather large deal about wanting to get Belgium. Or in 1840, when the French nearly went to war with the rest of Europe over Syria and Egypt, in the famous Wacht am Rhein crisis. Or in 1859, when the French destroyed the political settlement in the Italian peninsula. Or in 1867, when the French demanded Luxembourg and the Rhineland. And so on, and so forth.
vogtmurr said:
Sure Napoleon made demands on the rival empires, maybe even unreasonable ones. But he still respected their sovereignity when signing peace terms, after they continued to break them.
Other states were the ones breaking the agreements? Napoleon tended to do most of that. Should the allied powers be given props for respecting French sovereignty in 1814 and 1815 despite France's repeated abuse of its own treaties?
vogtmurr said:
Yes he did try to enforce unpopular governments in lesser states, but is it not possible he thought he was offering a better alternative than what they had ?
I agree that he considered the solution to be a better alternative: better for France, because those states were becoming French colonies.

You should ignore the so-called influence of Talleyrand, because he did not persuade the allies to do anything they would not have otherwise done. His influence is colossally overestimated because of his memoirs, of course, and his persistent role (like a cockroach) in French policy for another two decades. Perhaps the sole thing that can be reliably laid at his own feet is the near-war between Prussia and the rest of Europe in the winter of 1814 over Saxony.
I shall keep that in mind.

One question, how much difference did the development of nationalism affect things from 1814-1928? As in, did the enemies of France view it as a war against France or against Napoleon himself? And would this vary much between countries or between classes (i.e. those in power and the people)

It varied even within classes of one country. In 1814, you had guys like the Humboldts who considered the 1813-4 war to be an apocalyptic clash between German and Frenchman, and who amassed a long laundry list polemic of Evil Stuff French People Did to Germany for the Vienna congress. That's more of an attitude in Prussia specifically, and among elements of the army and bureaucracy in particular, though. Most other states' decisionmakers had little problem viewing the whole conflict as a war against Napoleon. Hell, for most of the wars, Napoleon's throne was not in danger even if he lost the war, because the allied powers had no idea who would replace him.

He was certainly a dictator, and brutal is up for debate.

Umm no, he did stage a coup d´état, but after being First Consul he decided for Emperor. Even Napoleon III isn´t commonly referred to as dictator. But the term became widely used for 20th century potentates.

The guy was up to his neck in blood, but I guess war and massacre deaths don't count as murder. Curious old world.

Military campaigns tended to become more bloody affairs with the advent of conscription, yes. Before that armies were usually relatively small in size, which, taking into account the logistical nightmare of providing for a huge army without modern means of transportation, isn´t that surprising. The Battle of Cannae could be called a massacre, but Hannibal didn´t get labeled mass murderer for it, on the contrary.

What, you can't be a brutal dictator without the assembly line? I swear I know there have been more than a few...

See my above comment.

Because all the moral burden evaporates if states just declare war!

Well, there´s war and ´just war´, isn´t there? (And then there´s War on Drugs, War on Terror and what not, but let´s nog get into that...) Anyway, as concerns war ethics is usually the first victim, yes.

Umm no, he did stage a coup d´état, but after being First Consul he decided for Emperor. Even Napoleon III isn´t commonly referred to as dictator. But the term became widely used for 20th century potentates.

The word dictator comes from the Roman Republic. Given that Napoleon served as First Consul in what constituted literally a dictatorship, a highly repressive proto-fascist state, I have no inclination to not say he was a brutal mass murderering dictator.

Military campaigns tended to become more bloody affairs with the advent of conscription, yes. Before that armies were usually relatively small in size, which, taking into account the logistical nightmare of providing for a huge army without modern means of transportation, isn´t that surprising. The Battle of Cannae could be called a massacre, but Hannibal didn´t get labeled mass murderer for it, on the contrary.

Ah yes, "Haitians." We have dismissed that claim.

Top Bottom