1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

SUL3: Sullla's Training Day Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Sullla, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Egyptian Commander

could you critique my turns?

(I'm going to regret saying that :p)

2. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Err, I already did do my critique. :) It's kind of hard to go through individual city build orders when we have 40 or so cities. I didn't see anything glaringly out of place, so I didn't comment on them. My suggestions remain the same: change location of Forbidden Palace, lower the luxury rate, settle all unclaimed land before AI civs do so, and decide which direction we want the game to go in. I'm sorry if that's not specific enough, but the early game is where the most critique applies. At this point, we've already won the game and would have to do something unimaginably stupid to lose. Once we get the Forbidden Palace up, we could easily take on all other civs in the game at once and win. :lol:

3. Ihmotep

*does something incredibly stupid and we lose the game*

hehe naaah

Anyway...I vouch for killing all the civs on the planet

(oh and is this game dead or what)

4. Sullla

Unfortunately, Architect seems to have moved well beyond Regent difficulty and Erik Mesoy hasn't posted a message here in the last week. This game is also well won, so I understand somewhat the lack of interest, but I am also curious as to where everyone has gone. Perhaps we should open the game up to new members? I hate to see a game go unfinished, and I don't feel like I've done my job as the "vet" player if everyone else is dropping out on me. Did I not give enough commentary on turns, or was I not polite enough to everyone? I am saddened by the dying off of this game, and I would like to prevent that if possible :(

5. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

I think the training day concept in general is having problems.

I have *NO* original players left in LK23 training day.

LOTR3, which I was part of, suffered multiple drops.

I know there is still interest in succession games.
    LK25 filled quickly for emperor - as you already know ;)

6. Mystery13

Mystery13 Chieftain

Over at Zed's training we haven't lost anyone. Maybe it's just luck of the draw that some new players didn't like the SG's as much as they thought. I know that ChrTh is playing through his and I've tried to get in more games.

7. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

I can't explain the dropout rate. Like Mystery said, we still have everyone over at Zed's. I like Zed, but I doubt if "he" is the reason we are still there. I have enjoyed reading through all the training day threads, and think I would have been happy in any of them.

In my case, I came close to dropping just because of heavy real-life commitments, but the rather slow pace of the game has allowed me to stick with it. (Although it is easier to lose interest in a slow-paced game.)

8. Sullla

Hmm, the feedback from my earlier comments show that others out there are similarly concerned and/or have thoughts along the same lines. :) What do you think we should do with this game? Imhotep, since you seem to be the only player here, I'd like to see what you think. If you want me to give advice on your SP games, since we are not progressing in this at the moment, I'm willing to do so. :cool:

9. Architect

Architect Chieftain

I am dropping this game. From looking at the position we are in and the level I have come to the conclusion that Monarch is the lowest level I should play with real focus being on Emperor and Diety games. This game was a blast, especially the campaign against France but finishing it would be an exercise in futility for me.

Good Job Sulla! Thanks for your support in this game. Thanks to Erik and Imhotep for keeping it real.

To all concerning drop-out rate: I'm not dropping from SG play as I love it. So you have one new SG player in me.

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

I still think it's a good idea, but I think a lot of the rookies didn't understand the time requirement. 10 turns takes a long time at any age--if you're writing everything down. Even I've considered dropping from Sirian's, but I was getting too much out of it. SGs, especially the TDGs, are a different beast, and I was hoping to get more people involved. I like to think I accomplished part of that :)

Hopefully those that dropped out will come to other games...but it appears that SGs in general are hurting in participation. Well, I'll keep plugging along (I've just joined a 4th, that will hopefully get off the ground)...of course, when NWN comes out, I may disappear for a bit :satan: but I'll be back...I always come back to Civ in the end :)

11. Sullla

Architect: After seeing your post that you were playing on Emperor, I knew there was little I could teach you. And the setup for that attack on Egypt in RBD12... masterful, just masterful. I've never been better set up in ANY succession game. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure you'll get your first Deity win soon! :goodjob:

12. Ihmotep

where is the thread for RBD12?

As for this game...I dont know what we should do with it...I'd like to finish it but not by myself ;)

13. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

I am officially off the comp until I fix the DVD drive. Hard cos COMPAQ DOES NOT SUPPORT ME cos I upgraded from win98 to win2k.

14. Zed-F

Zed-F Chieftain

RBD12 is still ongoing, so look near the top of the page. The title is:

RBD12 v2.0 - Roman Conquest!

15. Sullla

Imotep: I am going to do what LKendter did and open this game to anyone interested in playing it. With luck we will get another two players since Architect and Erik Mesoy have moved on to other things. :)

16. Ridgelake

Ridgelake Chieftain

Greetings Sulla and Ihmotep,

I am interested in joining your game. I posted a similar message on Readylander's training game, but have not heard anything back on that one. It has been latent for about 2 weeks. Perhaps it is dead.

Anyway, I bought C3 about a month ago and have worked up to Regent games. I have not gotten one past the middle ages yet, so I am rather green (weed-laden) still. But I have been doing some reading here on the boards, so I have been picking up some good tips. This would be my first SG.

If you would like another player, I can give it a try. :)

Ridgelake

PS. Where can I get a list of all the different happy face codes?

17. Sullla

Ridgelake, I am very glad you have chosen to join us! (and don't worry; Readylander's game is sooooo dead) With two players, we can continue this game. :goodjob: I would still like another though, so anyone reading this shouldn't hesitate to sign up if they are interested. Ridgelake will be up next in the playing order; you should probably look over the last page or two of the thread so you know what's going on before playing. :) 10 turns per player, if you didn't already know that. The last save game should be on the previous page to download. I think this game will help you improve your playing, as it only took me 4 months of playing and conversing with others on these boards to go from a complete rookie to a victory on Deity level. :lol:

(You can find a complete list of all the smilies by clicking on the "Get More" tab on the left side of the screen under the short list of smilies, with rarely used ones like :frog:, :vampire:, and even :santa:.)

NEW ORDER
    Imhotep
    Ridgelake <<< UP NOW
    ????? <<< still looking for another player

18. Ridgelake

Ridgelake Chieftain

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok :) I will play my turn tonight. I'll try to get in some reading this afternoon to see where things lie.

LET THE :smoke: BEGIN!

Ridge

19. Ihmotep

I doubt you'll top my weed..... ;)

20. Sullla

Even Charis, who wrote the excellent Micromanagement Guide available here , was guilty of great :smoke: before it was whipped out of him by other players. I was also guilty of some dubious moves in the past as well, such as starving a city to produce an aqueduct faster. :rolleyes: (That was from RBD23b)

And this game is no longer in a very stressful situation, so I don't think there's too much to worry about. :)