Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Last edited by a moderator:
rip...

I heard she actually lasted a while, they must have found it earlier than normal because it's usually so advanced by the time it's diagnosed they cant do much.

I'm hoping that with Murkowski already coming out against a 2020 confirmation, and Collins needing every scrap of support she can in a race she is losing, there are at least 2 more GOP senators facing tough enough battles they are willing to postpone a confirmation to retain their seats. Of course, I'm currently something like 0/89 on "There is at least one decent Republican", so yeah.

I doubt Romney supports replacing her unless Trump wins in November

Don't forget "Old, so not going to have to deal with any of this for much longer".

I'm old. Only Trump and his ilk are in the "once I'm dead who cares if the world burns" category.

Your point could be valid, but it has to include additional revolting qualifiers.

The fact that Biden is the potential Dem dealing with this is so remarkably horrific, there are no words. Just 100% unqualified for these times.

Packing the court has to be the default Dem position.

Who better?

Sorry, I'm just not up for a round of "Saint Bernie could save us if only he appealed to more than a tiny fraction of the electorate."

The fact that Biden is the potential Dem dealing with this is so remarkably horrific, there are no words. Just 100% unqualified for these times.

Packing the court has to be the default Dem position.
Is it though? If the nominee was Sanders and he won the presidency, he lacks the cachet to get any 'radical' proposal to gain traction among the congresscritters. If the GOP ram through someone in a lame duck session, Biden has the cachet to propose a 'radical' policy and get the Democratic congresscritters to take the proposal seriously.

Biden is at the point in his life where he can feel a 'legacy' is within grasp, and is old enough he doesn't need to worry about a future political career.

Who better?

Sorry, I'm just not up for a round of "Saint Bernie could save us if only he appealed to more than a tiny fraction of the electorate."

Is it though? If the nominee was Sanders and he won the presidency, he lacks the cachet to get any 'radical' proposal to gain traction among the congresscritters. If the GOP ram through someone in a lame duck session, Biden has the cachet to propose a 'radical' policy and get the Democratic congresscritters to take the proposal seriously.

Biden is at the point in his life where he can feel a 'legacy' is within grasp, and is old enough he doesn't need to worry about a future political career.

The problem is Biden will go into all of these scenarios with an empty chamber. This is not about saint bernie, and even the SCOTUS situation is enormously tough, but Biden in the last couple weeks hired one of the main architects of Obama's deportation scheme, and has a bevy of economic advisors who have spoken about not being able to do anything because of the debt, and needing to reign in spending. He's surrounding himself with people who are ready to concede or try a "grand bargain" again, instead of pushing at Manchin. He's not even actively campaigning right now, as he has literally 0 ground game. He's already ceding the terms of many debates. Even Kamala - whose expressed a much more consistent desire in investigating Trump - would be better.

Biden is a Chamberlain, change my mind.

Biden is a Chamberlain, change my mind.

Easy, Chamberlain looked better, spoke better, and definitely dressed better.

All three of these things mean far more than policy to the American public it seems, but especially to GOP voters.

This one seems tougher, but he still spoke better and dressed better
Haha, I just edited that post to delete it, because Callaghan ultimately was unable to hold his party together, presided over a period of increasing governmental paralysis and social unrest, leading to a right-wing nutjob seizing power and taking an ax to the post-war consensus coupled to the anti-subversion lobby.
Not exactly what I was going for......

Haha, I just edited that post to delete it, because Callaghan ultimately was unable to hold his party together, presided over a period of increasing governmental paralysis and social unrest, leading to a right-wing nutjob seizing power and taking an ax to the post-war consensus coupled to the anti-subversion lobby.
Not exactly what I was going for......

yea the rhyming is off a bit

yea the rhyming is off a bit
So, I guess that makes Biden either a Major or Blair - an interim government that somehow lasted seven years coupled to economic malaise and social stagnation, or a delusional liar surrounded by fawners and bullies. Not a great choice if we are trying to rhyme.

Chamberlain was an amazing man. He played poor cards well.

BTW, he lost his older brother in the Great War. This may have been the reason for his heroic attempts to prevent another one. Yet, when forced to it was his government that declared war with Germany. A coward and a pacifist would not have done that.

The time he bought was vital. It is true looking back on it that he believed Hitler's deceptions, he never once misread the sort of man Hitler was.

All in all, the right man at the right time.

Man, this thread has been Godwin‘ed so fast. Just one small contribution:

That this thread and the US public in general can‘t lose any time on condolences or on honouring RBG‘s life and her achievements, but instead has to go directly to political strategizations, just shows that the US is in a constitutional crisis. There are no processes in place to smooth this transition over, which would be a sign of a healthy democracy, instead we are in terra nova here. And that is scary.

So, rest in peace, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. You did good in your time here on Earth.

Top Bottom