Team Game - Isolated Pacal (Deity)

Double-checked and yup, wrong maths -- thought Worker would start the mine on BW turn. In this case it is probably better not to build any mines at all. It would also be good to chop wb before Settler (only delays the Settler by 2T, but gets the fish improved much sooner).

Libraries can probably wait until there's one city where it's worth building it. Meaning after riverside cottages are built. So as it is now it's better to research IW before Writing in my opinion. I would get to Pottery first though or else our cities won't have much to build and with this much food Granaries are necessary.

Once the worker has finished the Pig mine it would be best to move it 1W thus allowing a wider range of movement if Copper appears somewhere in the BFC.
If no copper I agree with chopping a wb, the forest 1S of Mutal seems best as it'll allow faster movement for the settler later (or is it better to chop before improving a potential copper here anyway?).

The main draw of the first library is to start the GPP -- not necessarily for the base commerce available.
(I was still initially suggesting IW before writing though -- the gems are huge)

Having the wb built before the settler is essential.

If no roads would be needed, i would even say IW before pottery as it's not cheap teching wheel + pottery and there are no river tiles to cottage until IW.
But looks like our cities will have no connection without a road.

I could be wrong about this, but my gut feeling is that we have a choice between getting 3 GS or getting 2 GS and getting the gems and cottages online earlier. I've never been able to get 3 GS in time for Astro when getting libraries built late.

Since moving the capitol to the river cottage city later might be difficult it may just be better to get that stuff online faster. Earlier cottage growth probably makes up for (non-bureau) academy anyway.

Yeah we most likely won't get 3 GS by Astro with such a slow start & late libraries. But there's nothing wrong with this -- if we have a well set-up empire when reaching Optics it's possible to switch to CS after Astro, then launch a golden age etc. Maybe it's also possible to get a third GS around T150 or so without CS. Can't know for sure this early.

I'm good with the delayed Writing plan. I assume we will want to whip a monument in the 2nd city quickly for border pop onto gems. That shouldn't be a big deal if WB is already in place for the fish.

Max food imo, i still believe whipping the settler works best especially if we want the workboat moving before so it's arriving with him.
We cannot complete boat & also slow build settler.

Yep for warrior, not moving the first one seems best so we need seafood info from 2nd.

Barb warrior appeared. Stay in position? Or move away and use the barb as fogbuster? Discuss. In other news, farm is done and worker moves to mine the pigs.

Spoiler :

Too much pressure. I am taking a break :D

Attachments

• Maya BC-3080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    64 KB · Views: 190
The next 8 turns -

Took the warrior fight (99.1% odds & woodie I promotion). Did everything as discussed. New warrior sent to the south for fogbusting, met another barb warrior -

Didn't actually bank on getting that fight (was just moving the warrior towards the jungle hill). But @96.7% it wasn't too big a gamble.

I was about to argue against whipping the Settler, but I think BW discovery does settles the issue ;)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Maya BC-2760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    72.5 KB · Views: 157
We can get a 1T WB with 6 OF from the settler (if working lake, as little as 4 OF if we work a forest for 1T). Can skip Hunting now in favor of TW for axes which also takes care of the city connection.

Just scribbled this out on paper so i could be wrong, but it looks like chop then copper mine gives 7T settler but 2T WB (also saves 1 worker turn but loses 9H into settler from delayed mine). Copper then chop gives 8T settler and plenty of OF to finish the boat in 1T. Fish would get netted on the same turn either way. I think the settler will beat the boat by 4 or 5 turns due to the 5T of travel for the boat.

Is there any sense in squeezing the boat in earlier? With a 3c tile to work, the 2nd city shouldn't actually cost us anything. That's the same as a trade route + 1c tile which is what you are normally looking for with a 2nd city anyway. I think break-even BPT will be the same so the issue should mostly come down to which yields more food, right? That should favor squeezing in the boat even if slows the settler down 2T.

Last edited:
Could start building settler, and chop into workboat (so boat only on the chop turn) :)
Just an idea, not tested. Mutal will be in good shape ofc with copper, 2nd city would like the food so i think it's probably good.
We would transfer 9h (lost from later copper) in Mutal into food in 2nd city.

Chopping the forest also reduces the time the settler has to move by 1T.
If the WB comes (sufficiently) before the settler, it arrives in time to check a few of the sea tiles for seafood (when it moves onto the fish 4T after being built)

My paper math seems to like mine > chop and 2T WB after mine finishes (switch off settler for 2T) a little bit better than chop > mine and chopping into WB (switching off settler for 1T). Both result in 9T settler and seem to beat out Settler > WB in terms of 2nd city food. The 1T saved by the worker chopping first then mining has questionable value since TW will be 1T away. Mine > chop has the worker finishing chop with TW at 1T and then he can either road 2nd city or road copper depending on barb danger.

Somebody should double check me though. I also haven't looked at mine > chop and chopping for 1T WB.

Not much to add. Only noticing how ironical it is that we only get that almighty BFC copper in games where it's not really needed :deadhorse:

Top Bottom