Term 6 - The Senate Forum

I've got an idea that may work WITHOUT a law change.

If some governors like the idea, I will create a thread somewhere in the forum - likely government - to ask all governors to post the priorities they have for their province. Along with those, I will post national priorities. After lists have been recieved from all governors, I would go through and create a single list of all worker needs, with more urgent ones at top.

On this list, each province would recieve 3 top priority spots. Workers would be dispatched as soon as possible to those places. Only after projects with top priority were finished, workers would be sent to those marked with next on the list.

A few notes: projects noted would me more general (i.e. 'Irrigate some tiles near Tokyo). Each project would be marked in a priority category (extreme, important, medium, etc.).

Thoughts?

I think we need more discussion on this point by the Governors, Octavian X, but thanks for the offer.

HAHA!
Finanly a Senate where stuff is discussed and the senators support each other and stick it up the other branches of Government!! I tried this about every term last game and got nowhere! Go Govs.

Anyway, for my part I think OctavianX's idea is worth a whirl. I can only think of two problems.
The first is one we almost always face with Governors, there are those who 'love to Gov' and will always present a long list of detailed worker assignments and then theres the others, you know the type of which I speak. (correct me if this is currently not true...) I think it there would have to be an established system for deciding worker actions in lieu of Gov's instructions. This must not revert to 'oh, the Dom department will take care of it' as this strips the rights and the function of the Senate and governors away.

Which brings me to my second point. The utmost care must be taken to assure the instructions of the Governors, when given, are followed as much as is possible, and no excuses are made.

Woohoo, go Senate

I could take care of the first of your concerns my coming up with a few urgent tasks in each province. That would not be a problem.

The second could be settled easily enough if Chieftess (or DP) likes the plan and agrees to abide by it.

I would like to talk about the power of the Senate. What power do we have?

Just to post a note here, Octavian. In the Turn Chat Instructions, I have listed the three tile improvements most need at this time for The North Province. Actually, the second tile listed needs two improvements to be complete and effective.

Goonie, it's really easier to read the Three Books on this matter. You can start with Article E of the Constitution. Then go to Section D of the CoL. You can find governors listed under line R of the COC. The Senate Forum is actually not listed in the Forum Organization Section of the CoS. Maybe we can get that changed this Term. There's a start! :)

The Term 6 Chief Justice has posted the following in the PI #2 thread:

If there is proof that Chieftess acted in a way directly opposed to the instructions provided to her by Cyc (or any other governor), then she should be found guilty of this charge. However, if she is found guilty simply on the grounds that she did not act fast enough, or that she performed a task that was not requested, then we will be establishing a most dangerous precedent.

What this means is that according to the Chief Justice, the DP can go into any Province and disregard the priorities that a Governor has set up, plus do whatever work the DP wants to do as long as the DP doesn't expressly do work that is opposed to your instructions. In reading this I must pass on the message that if you do have any work that you want done in your Province, that you add a statement to your instructions that says "no other improvements should be done on any tiles in this Province other than the ones I have indicated in my tile improvement priorities". By putting a statement like this in your Instructions, you are covering all the tiles you don't want worked at this time. This will keep the DP from breaking CoL D.1.E

Originally posted by Octavian X
I've got an idea that may work WITHOUT a law change.

If some governors like the idea, I will create a thread somewhere in the forum - likely government - to ask all governors to post the priorities they have for their province. Along with those, I will post national priorities. After lists have been recieved from all governors, I would go through and create a single list of all worker needs, with more urgent ones at top.

On this list, each province would recieve 3 top priority spots. Workers would be dispatched as soon as possible to those places. Only after projects with top priority were finished, workers would be sent to those marked with next on the list.

A few notes: projects noted would me more general (i.e. 'Irrigate some tiles near Tokyo). Each project would be marked in a priority category (extreme, important, medium, etc.).

Thoughts?

That is a great idea, Octavian. Very similar to the one I introduced in post 21 of this thread. :D

Tell you what.....if the governors are receptive to it and you want to do the legwork on it, I am all for starting a thread dedicated to this issue.

Please gentlemen. Niether one of you are senate members. The senate is in the process of dealing with this situation. Please bide your time a little while longer.

I have resorted to using tile improvement instruction maps.

(You press 'Print Screen' to take a screenshot of your province, select paste in MS paint (I actually use GIMP, because it saves jpeg) and use the insert text tool to place initials that represent what I want to be done, for those who dont know how)

they really are worth doing, taking barely any time to put together. I am also building my own workers, since not once has any worker spent even 1 turn in my province all term.

See the MAG province to see them.

I suggest that every governor make a provincial instructions map, and post it in all the places you can think of. hopefully the maps will be effective.

GBM if you make your own workers, they will just take them away from you.

I think the Senate has turned into a conspiracy thread :D
New Japan is busy making workers, and for now, I'm allowing the DP to use them as he or she sees fit. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Very good, Veera. I'm proud of you. Chieftess claims to need more workers and I'm glad you're helping her out in that regard.

My sarcasm detector is through the roof :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? Not at all. Oh, btw, doesn't Chieftess own quite a few tiles in your Province? :) j/k

Does she? I haven't kept track of the land business at all since I left it two months ago.

wow...the senate thread brought Almightyjosh out of the shadows... cool.
I'm not completely sure about the list idea, what if a province builds a worker to do an improvement because the governor doesn't want to wait for his turn to come up in the list? does he get to choose other priorities to add to the list instead of the ones he/she just had done by the newly built worker?

EA

I dislike this list buisnessas well. I believe the one improvement eartaging idea was better.

"Roxanne...." Sorry listening to the POLICE!!

So should we be concentrating on the earmarking proposal then? It seems to have died down and was replaced by the "list" proposal. Let's fire up the earmarking deal again. We've got 11 more days in this Senate, let's get something accomplished.

Top Bottom