The CFC Cricket Thread

I think more to the point is that we like complaining about the Australian cricket team. Winning is nice, but it does unfortunately mean I can't complain about the likes of Watson, Smith and Johnson.

Well, can't complain about Johnson, he's been surprisingly good. But Watto is still being Watto, and Smith hasn't set the world on fire either.

I think more to the point is that we like complaining about the Australian cricket team. Winning is nice, but it does unfortunately mean I can't complain about the likes of Watson, Smith and Johnson.

I can still complain about Watson. 2 tests, 4 innings, 2 starts, 4 soft dismissals for 79 runs. He's never been a test batsman, and over the last 2 and a bit years he's now been an automatic selection for 21 tests, and averaged under 30. Take out the one dead rubber where he finally made a good score, and he's averaging under 25. Here's a link of all the test batsman who managed 10 tests between aug 2011 (tour of sri lanka) & aug 2013 (4th ashes test): http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting Watson is the worst performer of any batsman there, ahead of only a pair of keepers who both got dropped. He's behind Cowan (dropped), Hughes (dropped twice), Warner (dropped), Wade (dropped), Tendulkar & Ponting (got free passes due to having 2 of the best career records ever). Just what does he have to do to get repaced by a potentially good batsman?

The real problem is that because we're actually winning, there's even less chance of changes being made to the batting lineup. We're a mediocre team that has been a bit better than another mediocre team for a couple of tests.

Warner with another blistering hundred. Smith with a good one as well.

Probably be another unchanged squad for the MCG. I'd pick an unchanged squad.

Faulkner won't be in the squad, so there'll be at least one change. There should be one more, but won't be. I'd expect same 11 to play if they're all fit in both Melbourne & Sydney, unfortunately. Especially with no more first class games to be played until mid-Feb, by which time the test team is already in South Africa.

Well I suppose it makes the job of the English selectors a bit easier. Panesar in for Melbourne. Now they just need a fast bowler.

Well well good match. After long time we played well overseas..against the #1 team as well. Down to the last over. Fair result finally.

du Plessis seems to be making an annoying habit of that. Pretty much what he did against Australia last summer. Australia dominated the first two matches but couldn't grab a victory, and South Africa bounced back and won the decider.

Disappointing end to the match. Really was.

Would have been more interesting if SA went for win. However since it is a 2 match test series, thanks to BCCI politics , they didn't want to risk going 1-0 down in a home series. I guess they are confident of winning the next test.

Would have been more interesting if SA went for win. However since it is a 2 match test series, thanks to BCCI politics , they didn't want to risk going 1-0 down in a home series. I guess they are confident of winning the next test.

Should've been a 3 test minimum.

Don't forget that SA only had an injured player and a mug with the bat to come, so they made the decision not to risk getting out and possibly losing the match.

Yeah but they gave up a chance for the highest successful run chase by a clear margin. Glory or nothing. I know I would've gone for the win. A chance to make history.

Philander and Steyn should've gone for it in the last 3 overs. It's not great when you can't trust your last 2 wickets to last at most 18 balls between them.

What's the story with Rogers? Why was he given a place in the team so late in his career?. Was it because of finding no place in the all conquering Aussie side?

What's the story with Rogers? Why was he given a place in the team so late in his career?. Was it because of finding no place in the all conquering Aussie side?

Like many older players in the Australian system, there was simply no place for him in the team back when he was younger. They brought him in for England because he had knowledge of English conditions and would provide a bit of experience to the Australian lineup.

He did a good enough job that they selected him for the return tour, and he has done a good enough job that they will select him for South Africa as well.

New Zealand made 4/283 in their ODI against the West Indies. Doesn't sound that remarkable until you realise this was a rain shortened 21 over innings. 104 off 51 for Ryder, 131 not out off 47 for Anderson. Huge effort from the Kiwis, awful from the Windies.

Top Bottom