1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Democratic Caliphate.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Sanguivorant, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

Problem is. Not all of those things are related. The challenge/victory threads are here because they help Leoreth with development.
    The many stories that mrrandomplayer, Lone_Wolf, Kinkaz, Tachywaxon, myself and others have already published for
    DoC are in Civ4S&T for good reason as is the rule for other stories based on other mods as well.
    That's where they go, regardless of mod or no.
    If you don't check other subforums, well, there's nothing stopping you from going there and if you've posted in a thread before the move, you can access it easily via My Account.

2. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Warlord

not arguing against the crux of your point buuut... i may have used the site in the long ago past, but im pretty sure i signed up just for doc subforum

but i kinda agree with this. the only other place i occasionally look is sword of islam. i can understand how you dont want non doc votes, but i do also appreciate the chance of doc stories bringing in new doc players from other parts of the board

or some type of notification. i dont browse the aar but would be interested in most doc stories.

and yep, mostly posting here so that i will be able to find it its moved

3. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

I completely agree with this. Not only that, but S and T is right now in decline and needs more love, since all of the former veterans ran away to NES and IOT and I haven't been able to convince them to move back.

Wow, thanks! I did not know that. That just made my day.

4. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

So OP is like, let's play an hypothetical Islamic Madhhab where Ijma and Ijtihad (Jafari uber-level yo) ahead of the Sunnah and the Hadiths while espousing radical Qiya doctrines even past what the Mutazilites did? This is all despite that that Muawiyah is what radical Salafist Wahhabis and Hanbalis who still think the sun revolves around the earth prefer to call themselves?
    The forum should make more world builder scenarios though, could be real fun..

5. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

Voting is closed. (Sorry for the overdue close guys, I dozed off last night).

6. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

And the winner is:

Abdul-Farouq, Boutros!

In a speech he made during his election into office in Mecca:

"In the name of God,
    Trade is what runs our society. Trade is good. Trade is lawful. Trade is (Wait for it...) The will of God!

During my leadership, I will focus on improving the economy of our community. I want to open trade routes and trade knowledge and resources with our Roman neighbours to the North, and Ethiopia in the South.

They have made peace with us after we have annexed some of their lands, so there is no need for rivalry. Rather, we can benefit from having good relations with our Roman allies. If they agree with trade agreements, it is a benefit to us. If not, and they cancel their peace with us, they can expect retaliation."

-Story coming soon.

7. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

Boutros was in charge of the country for nine periods (Turns).

Shortly after being elected, Boutros began several projects inside the empire:

Mecca was a busy place. Many new pastures were being opened up, a marketplace was being constructed and several troops from the desert were being called in to relocate, eventually to Egypt. A road would eventually be built to connect the horses by the end of Boutros' reign:

Boutros tried to send diplomatic emissaries to both Ethiopia and Byzantium. Boutros had some success in Ethiopia, trading marble for a supply of cow, but the Ethiopians did not want any lasting trade relations:

Boutros' promise to develop trade relations with Byzantium, however, failed epically, with the Byzantines refusing to even associate themselves with the Muslims. MAny people even doubted his policy towards the Byzantines:

Several projects were underway in Egypt, all geared towards economic improvement. A courthouse was created in Abu Simbel to reduce maintenance costs.

In order to improve the research of technology in the empire, Boutros began projects for schools in Iskindariya. To finish the schools, Boutros bought many slaves and forced them to work tirelessly. A city of eight population quickly reduced to five as many sacrificed their lives for education. Afterwards, Iskindariya was ordered to produce skilled labourers to better improve the land around the empire:

Mid-way through Boutros' term, diplomats were sent again to Ethiopia, to find out what they can trade. Boutros was delighted when the diplomats returned with blueprints for a sailing ship, though they had to give out the knowledge of a feudal economy in order to do so:

When Sailing was discovered, Workers were sent to Mount Sinai to set up minles while Tell-Hisn, a city west of the Red Sea was ordered to construct a fleet of sailing ships. Boutros hopes to send these ships East to find trading partners, since his neighbours do not like trade:

Boutros decided to get the Ulama' to develop a calendar for the empire to use:

A Byzantine merchant travelled to Al-Uqsur to make trade for the Byzantines. Boutros allowed him to enter, but really wished that he could establish trade with the Byzantines:

Several projects were being done in Iraq, most notably a school and a road to connect Babil by land. Muslims travelling north of the city could spot the Byzantine-controlled town of Nineve, a remarkable beauty with a huge structure believed to have been built by ancient dwellers of these lands, possibly the Babili or the Persians:

Near the end of Boutros' reign, two very important events occurred.

First, Sana'a's wealthy families contributed vast amounts of their wealth to speed the construction of a calendar, which they believe will help them in their trades. At the same time, a project for a harbour is underway in Sana'a to increase the food supply of the city:

Second, many Muslims in Dardura rebelled against Ethiopian authority, possibly seeking to join the Muslim Community. Regardless, they have secured us the trade route of the Red Sea.

And here is the end of Boutros' reign:

The man later died of sickness, and the Muslim Council would again have to elect a new leader for the Community. Three new candidates are available:

Abdul-Wadood, Alemayehu:
    An Ethiopian convert to Islam, he was the main leader involved in the revolt of Daradura, and he eventually fled to Mecca. He respected Boutros' friendly relations towards the Ethiopians, and wants to complete the projects Boutros has started.

Plans:
    -Expand the navy of the Empire and find new trading partners.
    -Improve the nation's espionage abilities, particularly to use against Byzantium.
    -Maintain most of Boutros' policies.
    -Research Guilds after Calendar is done.

Abdul-Fatah, Balashi:
    A Muslim from Mesopotamia who joined the army, he remembers stories from his parents about the cruelty of Byzantium and the fate of his homeland if the Muslims do not show the Byzantines their place.

Plans:
    -Cancel projects in Babil and Mecca to start producing military.
    -Declare war on Byzantium at the correct time.
    -Research Engineering after Calendar is done.

Abdul-Bariq, Uthman:
    An Arab Muslim, he has always lived in the crowded city of Al-Uqsur since he moved there. He hates overcrowded areas, and believe that there isn't enough room for the population to settle in.

Plans:
    -Start projects to build more cities in desirable areas (Might need help from you guys on where to do that)
    -Cancel projects in Babil and Al-Uqsur to build courthouses there.
    -Research civil service after Calendar is done.

8. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

Abdul-Fatah, Balashi

9. Reus

Reus Polar Bear

Abdul-Fatah, Balashi

10. citis

citis Deity

Cancel projects? I thought it couldn't be done.

I vote Balashi, Byzantium doesn't cooperate, but it takes advantage of Butro's peaceful policy.

I think it's too early for colonisation. Arabs colonised Maghreb, east Africa and Indonesia, so if you choose the coloniser, the best option is IMO Zanzivar. Tunis is an option if Cathrage is ruins, and it is excluded by moorish flipping area.

11. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Abdul-Fatah, Balashi

12. Manuss

Manuss Sleeping man

Abdul-Wadood, Alemayehu

13. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Warlord

Abdul-Wadood, Alemayehu:

14. ales_

ales_ Heir

You didn't know one can change what is produced in a city, did you?

15. FinalLegendZero

FinalLegendZero Prince

Abdul-Fatah, Balashi

16. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

I realized that a rule like that might make things inefficient, especially if a ruler makes a lot of projects which would leave the next ruler waiting.

17. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Abdul-Wadood, Alemayehu
    I would like to build more military and consider attacking Byzantium, but I don't want to cancel projects.

18. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Are we running civics which let us build military units without spending food? (I'm a noob regarding DoC).

Well, if yes, It's time to end these 'out of time' city improvement projects and start thinking on attacking Byzantium.

BTW, the supreme muslin general could give us info about the army size and location, it would be nice for the council to take actions.

I'll keep my vote until further info is available

19. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

When I return home, I'll gibe details about the army, economy, civics and the like. I like keeping numbers out of narrations as much as possible.

From what I remember, we are running theocracy, slavery, levies, fanaticism and vassalage.

Levies makes it so I can pay for military with food.

20. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Yeah, keep most numbers out of narration indeed to let things seem more realistic, but some info about the army would be great. Maybe an info not like "we have 7 Camel Archers, 2 Longbowmen, 3 Pikes and 5 Crossbowmen", but more like "General ... has Camel Archers in the Egyptian Border and Gen ... is in command of the defensive line around northern Arab border with a few Pikemen and Longbowmen".

Actually I mistyped earlier, if yes we keep the projects, if no we make an army. So it seems we keep projects, so:

Abdul-Wadood, Alemayehu

May Allah be with us