The Oldest Things You Own

The oldest book I own is a prayer book that's written in Swedish, and is from the late 1800s. My great-grandfather gave it to my great-grandmother. I'm not sure if that was before or after they were married.

I own a 19th century German songbook, circa 1850. One day my German-language professor (from the 'Oder' Frankfurt) presented her graduating class with a box of books in German and said 'take your pick'. I went with that one because the script was archaic.

Did it have actual musical notation? Or just the words?

Did it have actual musical notation? Or just the words?

I pulled it to check, and my memory had me fooled -- it's a history of music. The songbook (which said teacher gave to everyone around Christmastime) is dated, too, but not not nearly as much. It's from the 1970s.

Songbooks from the 1970s seem just about right to me... they must seem unbearably tame to the current younger generation.

Some people are really showing their youth in this thread!

Perhaps the oldest thing that I've inherited and is more mine than family's is a railroader's pocket watch that, as far as I know, would date from around 1950. Still works; it's mechanically powered and glows in the dark (and is actually the only functioning watch I have, come to think of it). I'm also the primary user of a card table that my family has that dates from the 1930's, but it's not technically mine.

My family has several other aged items, most of which are from my dad's side of the family. Things that come to mind are some 78's that are likely 1940's or older, and a few family bibles from the late 1850's.

NOT counting random stray rocks, fossils, gemstones and their ilk, the oldest item I own is a 1830 second french edition of James Fennimore Cooper's The Pioneers.

Coming in next I have a few 1850s stamps issued by the Province of Canada - including both the first stamp issued with a Canadian coinage value and th elast stamp issued with a British coinage value (although in this case the stamp had values in both British and Canadian coinage written on it: six pence and 12 1/2 cents).

I just remembered I have the hood ornament off of an '85 Jaguar. I'll try and get a picture of it up later.

I haven't read the other posts, but I have a 100 year-old thistle tie tack, given to me by my then girlfriend in 2001. Did I mention I am half Scottish.

Sent via "people's mic" using the Tartan Army -- the world's greatest National football team fandom..no apologies for the Celtic pride.

Top Bottom