The Oldest Things You Own

Mum had one! A big crucifix that slid forward to reveal a secret compartment with candle, rosary, Extreme Unction card and holy water. I think one of my Prot cousins stole it when she died.
Nice to know that it's not just my family who thought it was a good idea! :D

I have a few old Turkish Liras probably older than me.

I think it has to be socks for me.

I once had a bottle of 21 year old malt whisky on my 21st birthday. Had been waiting for me all my life. That was pretty cool.

Mum had one! A big crucifix that slid forward to reveal a secret compartment with candle, rosary, Extreme Unction card and holy water. I think one of my Prot cousins stole it when she died.

I am choosing to interpret this as your cousin died and came back in ghostly form to steal it, because that's just epic Protestant trolling of Catholics right there, lemme tell ya! :D

I'm honestly not positive what the oldest thing I own is. I have some of my grandpa's stuff like a ration card from WWII and other things possibly predating that. Nothing really antique worthy, though. Heck, my house was built in 1954/5, so beyond grandpa's stuff it may be it.

Currently i own some protons which are almost as old as the universe. :p

I also have a big Carcharodon Megadolon tooth (huge shark from about 10,000,000 years ago) the size of a hand which i found on the bottom of the sea.

About man-made things i cant thing of anything particullarly old. I tend to chuck out anything i no longer need.

Does my dad count? No, I guess I don't own him...
And apparently every molecule in the human body is different from what it was 5 years ago [citation needed]

I own a few books from the '60s, and my copy of The Sea Wolf is a bit older than that I think. Oh, and this old turtle shell-and-leather bag-ish thing. It looks something like this:
Spoiler :

I was always told it was old and Native American made, but who knows.

I've some fossils or imprints of seashells from Missouri, so they're a few hundred million years old. And I have a battered old book of photos and illustrations of the Great War from 1916.

Same here

The War - illustrated Album-De-Luxe - volume VI Spring Summer Campaign 1916
published 1916.

I have had the book since about 1980.

I own a couple older Polish books that were given to me by my late grandfather. I would guess they are from the 60s or 70s. He used to have a giant collection of books. He re-wrapped each book in a plastic cover individually, in order to preserve them. I will never forget his office/study room. One wall was a giant bookcase full of books - not too much fiction from what I remember, mostly hardcover non-fiction.. for learning purposes. I loved his astronomy books, they always blew my mind when I was over at his place when I was a wee young 5-7 year old lad.

I also have a couple US & UK coins that were given to me when I was born. I don't think they are too old, but at least older than me, so.

Other than that, not much. I own a commodore 64, which is kinda old, and.. .. not much else, really. I throw a lot of stuff out, as I hate clutter.

My brother found an old yiddish geography book in our basement, and the cover was replaced with an old yiddish newspaper. According to my dad, the headline visible was proclaiming the death of Karl Marx.

So that's pretty old.

Ah, paper is interesting.

According to this, paper which is over 150 years old will likely have been made from cotton/linen rags and doesn't suffer from the acid deterioration that more modern papers do. Though books printed more recently tend to be acid-free. Perhaps. I don't think so though, since I've loads of very yellowed books.

Until two years ago my family had a complete Brockhaus Enzyklopedie (17 books) from the late 1890's. Sadly their condition was rather bad and restoration would have been much too expensive so we did give them away.

I've got a chiseled bronze plate which was looted by my great-grand-uncle from a french castle during WWI.

Attachments

• Bronze.jpg
    Bronze.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 65
I own a Lunar sample (from the Highlands) that's probably near four billion years old.

... do I win?

Funny enough, family friend does too and I thought of it when I responded to this thread. I figured the oldest thing you own really had to go back to a human hand -- it has to be an artifact. I have a little sliver of a meteorite which likely predates the formation of the moon, but I only got it within the last year so in my view it's only about that old. A moon rock goes back to it being taken from the moon.

Oldest book I have is a 1871 collection of Moliere with the lithographs in fantastic shape. There's a bit of moisture stain though.

I have a little sliver of a meteorite which likely predates the formation of the moon...

Yeah, I've got a crap-load of meteorites... mostly stony ones with a few chondrites. My favorite ones are the Moldavites, though: they are gem-quality tektites residual from giant cometary or astroidal impacts here on Earth.

A couple of the ones in my collection are museum-quality specimens that look as near as dammit like this:

Nice to know that it's not just my family who thought it was a good idea! :D

I am choosing to interpret this as your cousin died and came back in ghostly form to steal it, because that's just epic Protestant trolling of Catholics right there, lemme tell ya!

Ironically, my mother died in a hospital and the kit was never used. Being from out-of-town, I stayed at a hotel during the crisis. After the funeral I visited her apartment, but my relatives had already helped themselves to her belongings.

Outside of books, I have this ancient word processor from back in the Twentieth-Century. It's called a Qwerty, or "typewriter". It doesn't plug-in, has no on switch, isn't wireless and has no spellcheck. Those were primitive times...:old:

I once had a bottle of 21 year old malt whisky on my 21st birthday. Had been waiting for me all my life. That was pretty cool.

That is a genius idea to get.

Not counting fossils, rocks etc. I have books from the 19th C plus coins and a musket from the Civil War.

Top Bottom