The perfect pasta is a mystery to me #2 - pasta abominations

For how many minutes do you leave pasta to cook in the water?
Apparently for at least 20 minutes, going by my failed experiment (10 minutes) :p
The numbers depends on the pasta, but vaguely following the instructions and with multiple tests towards the recommended time, to see if there is a visibly uncooked bit visible on cross section.

The numbers depends on the pasta, but vaguely following the instructions and with multiple tests towards the recommended time, to see if there is a visibly uncooked bit visible on cross section.

Maybe the more crucial mistake was not draining. The thing ended up having the texture of mud :)

Apparently for at least 20 minutes, going by my failed experiment (10 minutes) :p
It depends on the type of pasta, but usually it's 8-10 minutes since the water starts boiling if it's dry unstuffed pasta. With stuffed and/or freshly-made pasta you have to take it out when it begins to rise to the top of the water by itself.

Kyr: every pasta is different, but every pasta maker will clearly state how long it's supposed to be in the water.

Maybe the more crucial mistake was not draining. The thing ended up having the texture of mud :)

You mean, no colander has been part of the process?
How did you bring the pasta to the plate, then? And the sauce?
220 × 229

And now you've attracted the Italians, Kyriakos! You'll never live this down. ;)

Kyr: every pasta is different, but every pasta maker will clearly state how long it's supposed to be in the water.

You mean, no colander has been part of the process?
How did you bring the pasta to the plate, then? And the sauce?
220 × 229

What sauce? I haven't yet moved to that :blush:

I did watch some youtube videos, where it seems one should use the pasta water in the sauce, but I had none so didn't. That said, the major mistake was to just let the pasta soak forever (so the other way around), let alone not bothering to heat the water up for some time before throwing in the pasta.

I am not a cook, as you can see :p

And now you've attracted the Italians, Kyriakos! You'll never live this down. ;)

You make it sound as if we're a small army here... :lol:
(Brandishing rolling pins, defended by sturdy colanders, charging out with the mighty war cry, "pasta, mamma mia!")

What sauce? I haven't yet moved to that :blush:

I did watch some youtube videos, where it seems one should use the pasta water in the sauce, but I had none so didn't. That said, the major mistake was to just let the pasta soak forever (so the other way around), let alone not bothering to heat the water up for some time before throwing in the pasta.

I am not a cook, as you can see :p

Ok. Tomorrow is World Pasta Day, so let's proceed step-by-step:
1) salt and heat the water (1L H2O=10g NaCl=100g pasta is the golden proportion)
2) once the water is boiling, throw the pasta in and let it cook as long as written on the box
3) while the pasta is cooking, prepare a basic sauce in another pan. Let some tomato puree, EVO oil, some onion or one garlic clove (cut in a mandolin) simmer, it's okay if it reduces a bit.
4) as soon as the pasta is ready, strain it. You don't have to make it dry, it will bring some cooking water along naturally to the next step
5) toss the pasta in the same pan your sauce is in. If you want to add some grated cheese, add it now. If you have some basil, or another herb you like, this is the time to put it in (especially basil, as it turns dark and bitter with excessive heat)
6) mix the pasta, the sauce and the cheese for a minute or two so that they are amalgamated. Serve and eat now. :hatsoff:

You make it sound as if we're a small army here... :lol:
(Brandishing rolling pins, defended by sturdy colanders, charging out with the mighty war cry, "pasta, mamma mia!")

Mamma mia, here we go again!
My my, how can't you cook pasta?
Mamma mia, can you do it again?
My my, just how bad you cooked it!

I don't like it either, but it's cheap.
That said, I'd rather return to "cooking" potatoes and steak. But steak is expensive.

I've got this theory.

Countries that have bad food make good soldiers. UK, Norway, Russia, Germany.

Countries that have nice food not so good.

The bad tasting food makes the soldiers mean. Willing to die for Mussolini or eat pizza? Scotland haggis or go and invade India?

The British Empire was really the quest for better tasting food.

French food, Napoleon + Charlemagne
Italian food, the Roman Legions
Japanese food, Samurai

French food, Napoleon + Charlemagne
Italian food, the Roman Legions
Japanese food, Samurai

Rome used fish sauce and didn't have the ingredients Italians did eg tomatoes.

Charlemagne was a Frank.
Napoleon was Corsican they didn't really consider themselves French at the time;).

I've got this theory.

The bad tasting food makes the soldiers mean. Willing to die for Mussolini or eat pizza? Scotland haggis or go and invade India?

The British Empire was really the quest for better tasting food.

Spartans used to eat something called "the black stew". It wasn't tasty at all.

Top Bottom