[RD] The Republican nomination

I didn't think anyone could actually consider Trump a centrist. All the polls show he has extremely high unfavorability ratings (compared to any of his challengers) with Democrats and Independents and at the very least those numbers should obviously confirm what most people know

He seems more so to be skimming off of the various fringes across the Republican party's spectrum of issues.

UVa has finally done a post debate article
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/republicans-2016-what-to-do-with-the-donald/

Trump is a special category, the The Un-Nominatable Frontrunner.

Despite the gigantic field of Republicans, we have long maintained that only a small number of these candidates could actually wind up being the GOP nominee. We reorganized our presidential ratings to reflect this. At the end of the day, we consider it very likely that the Republican nominee will come out of the following quintet of Real Contenders: former Gov. Jeb Bush (FL), Gov. Scott Walker (WI), Sen. Marco Rubio (FL), Sen. Ted Cruz (TX), and Gov. John Kasich (OH). Cruz and Kasich are new additions to our top tier but their odds of winning the nomination are significantly lower than the other three, while we regard Bush, Walker, and Rubio as having relatively similar odds.​

The big movers are Cruz and Kasich. Cruz was second tier the last go round, while Kasich was third tier. It looks s if Kasich's strategy of holding off til just before the debates has proven out. As noted in the article, they are in the lead group, but significantly off the lead.

The big winner it the also rans is Carly Fiorina.

There was near-universal acknowledgment that former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, who badly lost a 2010 Senate race in California, dominated the early “kid’s table” debate last week. The positive buzz was reinforced during the main event when Fiorina was featured decrying President Obama’s pending nuclear deal with Iran during the earlier session — a free campaign ad for Fiorina during the middle of the most-watched program in cable news history and by far the most-viewed primary debate ever. There’s already an indication that a flood of news coverage is moving polls in her favor, at least in the short term.​

Labor Day is the traditional start of political season. This year may be an exception, but attention will likely ramp up quite a bit in the coming weeks. The CNN debate could be very interesting.

J

The more the pundit class tries to tell the Republican voters that shouldn't support Trump, and that they have to pick from their GOP approved list of candidates... the stronger Trump's argument gets that he is the anti-politician they have been waiting for, and the more people will flock to his banner.

And I repeat, Trump is the only challenger that Hillary should be worried about at this point. Well, besides the Justice Department:mischief:

We need to tighten up on billionaires filing bankruptcies
In Monopoly you are bankrupt when you have zero left, ZERO. Maybe we need to move closer to that standard... Or at least say... "Look. If you have a billion dollars you simply can't be filing for bankruptcy... I know, I know, but the shareholders!... but my yacht!... I know... but seriously guys enough is enough. Bankrupt means you have no money... If you have fifty cents left or a $25 gift certificate to starbucks or whatever we're not gonna be sticklers about that, but we have to draw the line somewhere before a billion dollars."

Let the corporations speak to the matter. They are people and are rich too. Let them have the vote!

The more the pundit class tries to tell the Republican voters that shouldn't support Trump, and that they have to pick from their GOP approved list of candidates... the stronger Trump's argument gets that he is the anti-politician they have been waiting for, and the more people will flock to his banner.

And I repeat, Trump is the only challenger that Hillary should be worried about at this point. Well, besides the Justice Department:mischief:

Worried how? In every nationwide polling where she's pulled against a GOP candidate, Trump is the one she performs the best against.

Corporation. Noun. An ingenious device for achieving individual profit without individual responsibility.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

OMG. I'm fairly sure I saw that on TV.

"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Corporation. Noun. An ingenious device for achieving individual profit without individual responsibility.

"As a friend of mine from Texas says, he will believe corporations are people when Texas executes one." Bill Moyers

Yeah, they don't make them like that any more. It should be bookended with the "A Team."

Given that he was apparently born in 1950, that would suggest that he was a Democrat from the age of nine, which sounds slightly suspect.

Going off the GOP debate, I found Kasich's statement on the gay marriage ruling/having a hypothetical gay daughter to be thoughtful. It was refreshing given the sermons some of the candidates have preached on the topic.

Trump is a nice sideshow, but I won't discount him until after a bad showing in New Hampshire or so.

I haven't formed many opinions on the other candidates. Fiorina gives off a strong presence. Rubio seems like he can appeal to younger voters. Christie blows hot steam. Jeb seems to be fumbling a bit, though maybe he's trying to stay back behind the Trump circus. He hasn't solved the issue of disconnecting from his family name, giving weird answers about his brother and Iraq, at times. I'm not a registered Republican but I still find the field interesting and I'll remain invested throughout the election course. I'm leaning toward being a Sanders fan for now, however.

Given that he was apparently born in 1950, that would suggest that he was a Democrat from the age of nine, which sounds slightly suspect.
A good point, although after reading your post I read the "Early Life" section of the wikipedia page and it does indeed imply that he was raised Democrat and became actively interested in Democratic party politics in 1961.

Top Bottom