The Thread Where We Discuss Guns and Gun Control

cheap and easy to get is part of the problem

They aren't cheap and easy to get though. A "budget" AR-15 is still going to run you anywhere between $500 to $700. Magazines for it can cost you about $40 per.

And when it comes to pistols, with the exception of Hi-Points, they can be just as expensive or even more expensive than rifles. The only "cheap" firearms I've really seen are shotguns and even those are usually between $200 to $300 for a basic pump-action shotgun.

Those amounts of money aren't prices most people can afford to pay without some serious consideration and planning. That's why a common joke in the gun community around tax time is "Tax refund? You mean new gun fund!" That yearly influx of money is the only way a lot of gun owners can afford to purchase a gun.

My cheap pump action shotgun is a single fire. It doesn't feed properly from the magazine tube. Wish I'd have just found an old breech.

My cheap pump action shotgun is a single fire. It doesn't feed properly from the magazine tube. Wish I'd have just found an old breech.

You should my old Winchester 37 break action. The forestock broke off long ago and the completely naked barrel just unhooks from the receiver completely (super custom compact) But it still locked up tight and shot fine the last I had it.

They aren't cheap and easy to get though. A "budget" AR-15 is still going to run you anywhere between $500 to $700. Magazines for it can cost you about $40 per.

And when it comes to pistols, with the exception of Hi-Points, they can be just as expensive or even more expensive than rifles. The only "cheap" firearms I've really seen are shotguns and even those are usually between $200 to $300 for a basic pump-action shotgun.

Those amounts of money aren't prices most people can afford to pay without some serious consideration and planning. That's why a common joke in the gun community around tax time is "Tax refund? You mean new gun fund!" That yearly influx of money is the only way a lot of gun owners can afford to purchase a gun.

I'm surrounded by this phenomena lol

Criminally speaking a murder is financially more costly than any gun so if you're out to kill then you're probably prepared to budget.

Criminally speaking a murder is financially more costly than any gun so if you're out to kill then you're probably prepared to budget.

Perhaps, but there are so many better ways to murder someone than shooting them. At least if getting away with it is the plan.

They are, or they'd not be flooding the streets.

I wouldn't say they are flooding the streets though. I mean yes, there are more privately owned guns in the US than there are actual people, but the overwhelming majority of those are in the hands of legal, non-criminal owners.

I wouldn't say they are flooding the streets though. I mean yes, there are more privately owned guns in the US than there are actual people, but the overwhelming majority of those are in the hands of legal, non-criminal owners.
There are many legally owned guns. But the guns are also flooding the streets. It's part of why gun crime is so high.

You have two options:
- legal gun owners are committing lotsa crimes -> not really
- criminals are getting guns -> yes

They're getting guns because they're easy and cheap to get. Otherwise, places with similar rates of violent crime would have similar rates of gun violence.

You should my old Winchester 37 break action. The forestock broke off long ago and the completely naked barrel just unhooks from the receiver completely (super custom compact) But it still locked up tight and shot fine the last I had it.

Hehehe. She sounds like a keeper. So fugly it's charming works for things like that.

Closest thing we have for a vintage piece is an old rusty socket bayonet(there might be some stuff squirreled in the attic, but I wouldn't dare put ammo in any of it). Grandpa keeps it visible in his office and the grandkids take interest in it. It's sorta fun, because what is about the least dangerous piece of a firearm is one of the easiest to teach the dangers of. Imagining somebody taking that thing and jamming it through your guts is a pretty easy to visualize starting point for explaining why the pretty shiny things that go in the gun are not to be handled without supervision. :lol:

Having a frank discussion about the homicide rate in the US sounds like a plot to get the thread closed.

Having a frank discussion about the homicide rate in the US sounds like a plot to get the thread closed.

Oh do tell there Tristan, do tell. ./smh

Top Bottom