1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread 36

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

That really depends on how tech savvy she is. Which from what you've said, I would call low. So odds are she won't. If she even thinks to check anything.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

She can't even get past the lock screen on her own computer. I had to disable it for her. I've started locking the screen before stepping away from the computer, even if it's just to go use the bathroom.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

No, but she might demand access to it on a whim and she'd see aimee's private spending.
    This is wise, even if a bit of a hassle to get used to.

4. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Then no, she won't know. Not from the bank, anyways. PayPal is the major link in that arrangement, it does the deposits and withdraws. The bank account itself doesn't have any connection to PayPal and doesn't know what's going on.

5. aimeeandbeatles

I don't even think she knows that PayPal is used for anything other than buying stuff, so she won't bother asking to see it.

6. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

She won't know, unless her email address is attached to your PayPal account. Whenever you make changes, you'll get a notification by email from PayPal, so as long as only your contact information's on there you wouldn't have to worry. Like @Synsensa says your bank won't know what's going on with your PayPal account, it only knows if you receive deposit or withdrawal requests, so only your financial transactions.

7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

8. aimeeandbeatles

Code:
    Computer:      FOXCONN MCP61M05
    CPU:           AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Brisbane, BH-G2)
                   2200 MHz (11.00x200.0) @ 2210 MHz (11.00x200.9)
    Motherboard:   FOXCONN M61PMV
    Chipset:       nVidia nForce 6100-405/430
    Memory:        4096 MBytes @ 315 MHz, 5.0-5-5-15
                   - 2048 MB PC5300 DDR2-SDRAM - Kingston 2G-UDIMM
                   - 2048 MB PC5300 DDR2-SDRAM - Kingston 2G-UDIMM
    Graphics:      Sapphire Radeon HD 6450
                   ATI/AMD Radeon R5 230/HD 6450, 1024 MB DDR3 SDRAM
    Drive:         WDC WD50 00AAKS-22A7B, Disk drive
    Drive:         HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15, DVD+R DL
    Drive:         WDC WD10 EADS-00L5B1, Disk drive
    Sound:         NVIDIA MCP61 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Sound:         ATI/AMD Caicos/Seymour/Caspian - High Definition Audio Controller
    Network:       NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

The video card was upgraded a few years ago after a power surge wrecked the first one, and I added a second hard drive at some point but I've had this computer for ten years and definitely starting to feel it.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Is it possible to get a sausage-like texture using ground beef? I'm finding all sorts of recipes for 'low-sodium' beef sausage, but I'm not sure what distinguishes them from hamburgers.

10. civvver

civvver Warlord

Only difference between hamburger patties and beef sausage patties is the seasoning. American sausage is almost always pork based or has a mix of pork in it, whether it's breakfast, italian, polish or bratwurst varieties. I think that's what makes it taste more distinct.

11. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Well, is it possible to get similar texture to a hot dog or salami without any sort of curing?

12. aimeeandbeatles

Question: Is there any reason that so many phishing emails look like they didn't even try? There's nearly always typos and other errors in them that would tip off people who might otherwise be fooled.

13. Synsensa

The people who click on the bad ones are those most likely to go through with the scam.

Good phishing templates tend to be reserved for higher level people with access to confidential info, but even those can be pretty obvious to a savvy eye.

MaryKB likes this.
  14. aimeeandbeatles

That makes sense. So it's kind of an idiot filter?

MaryKB likes this.
  15. Synsensa

Yeah. Someone who thinks a poorly structured and written email is legitimate will also go through with giving their private info.

Same reason why the phone scammers like to go for elderly and disabled people. They're the most likely to think they can actually settle debts with the CRA with iTunes gift cards.

MaryKB likes this.
  16. aimeeandbeatles

It still baffles me how someone can fall for the iTunes gift card scam.

A few years ago, when we still had a home phone, a scammer called saying that Windows had a virus. I took the phone and led him on a ten-minute spiel about it not being possible because I used Windex on them. He hung up. It was fun and that was ten minutes he wasn't scamming some unfortunate other soul.

The_J, cardgame, Traitorfish and 5 others like this.
  17. civvver

civvver Warlord

Maybe with a really fine grinder. Hot dogs don't have much texture, kind of mushy all the way through. Any texture is usually from the casing.

Do any of you take fish oil? Does it work?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  18. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I've taken quite a bit of it over the years. It doesn't do anything noticeable.

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The Canada Post/banking thing is meant mostly for people in rural areas and reserves and anywhere else that still has a post office of sorts but no bank (some communities lose their only bank when there aren't enough people using it; of course the banks don't give a damn about anyone who depends on it). The article also points out what a good thing it would be for low-income people so they wouldn't have to go to the payday/money mart places that charge far too much and have a bunch of other "fees" that add up.

It's a good idea, which of course means that it makes too much sense to be implemented.

I'd hoped the NDP would raise the AISH allowance here, but they ignored the issue for the first three years and it seems that the only reason we got a raise now is that Rachel Notley suddenly realized that there's an election next spring and some of us vote. So we got a whopping $97/month raise (which many landlords will use as an excuse to raise the rent accordingly).

Do you get other services besides financial there? It's a good thing I don't need to worry about prescriptions or my mobility/safety stuff. That's all covered, along with eye exams and dental.

20. Synsensa

In theory, yes, but I don't know anyone who actually gets approved for them. I've never been approved for transport to appointments and the dietary supplement is amazingly restrictive (I got denied because of accepted terminology use).

I get limited dental but it doesn't cover much. Straight forward procedures only, no surgeries or corrective operations. I can get my teeth cleaned once a year and x-rays taken once every two years. I can get teeth pulled without going under and only if the tooth's readily accessible with that fancy set of pliers. That's about it, in practice.

Some basic medication is covered. For example, all the antidepressants they put me on were free and didn't require co-pay. But other stuff, like antibiotics, weren't/aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.