The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something specific to 'Western scene' beyond 'awesome scene that is defined by being in a Western movie' - or, in other words, is there a specific theme/trope to this? I know spaghetti westerns are a thing.

I ask because if the only metrics are 'just a scene in a Western movie' then I'd like to nominate The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' saloon scene with Surly Joe

Is there something specific to 'Western scene' beyond 'awesome scene that is defined by being in a Western movie' - or, in other words, is there a specific theme/trope to this? I know spaghetti westerns are a thing.

I ask because if the only metrics are 'just a scene in a Western movie' then I'd like to nominate The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' saloon scene with Surly Joe

I haven't watched any US westerns*. In fact the only complete western movie i watched is Once upon a time in the west - though i have seen scenes from other works of the same director.

*Not old ones, anyway. I watched the recent remake of True Grit, which imo is nowhere near the level of Leone's work, though it was a decent film :)
PS: Bone Tomahawk was also cool, but not really a western as much as horror.

Why is the airline market so messed up? I am currently looking at flights for my brother, and it is twice the price for him to buy them online in the US than for me online in the UK!!!! And whenever I travel for work, it is loads more expensive if we do not stay over Saturday night. It just makes no sense.

The Saturday night rule is simple greed and it's smart. It's to separate the business traveler form the leisure flyers. It makes a lot of sense and has been used for a long time.

Is there a way to advance YouTube videos one frame at a time?

Figured there must be since you can take a URL 'for current frame' out of a Youtube video.

Does anyone else always see amazon ads for a yodeling pickle on CFC? I have no idea how to remove it or get it to cycle to something else and it looks like a green turd or man part.

Thank you, Syn.

I haven't watched any US westerns*. In fact the only complete western movie i watched is Once upon a time in the west - though i have seen scenes from other works of the same director.

*Not old ones, anyway. I watched the recent remake of True Grit, which imo is nowhere near the level of Leone's work, though it was a decent film :)
PS: Bone Tomahawk was also cool, but not really a western as much as horror.
Your education in North American culture is lacking, then (I say 'North American' because there are some American western movies that were at least partially filmed in Canada).

I've seen several Clint Eastwood westerns, and of course there are some good TV shows. The first 6 seasons of Bonanza are on YouTube, along with some of Seasons 8 and 10 (the first 6 are the best anyway, because Adam is in them; after the 6th season Pernell Roberts left the show). I don't remember where I found the series How the West Was Won online (starring James Arness, Fionula Flanagan, and Bruce Boxleitner), but it's very enjoyable.

But my favorite western movie is the musical Paint Your Wagon (about a community of miners hoping to strike it rich in the gold rush; stars Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood):

After Greedo shot him, of course.
Han shot first. :nono:

I have the original trilogy in VHS format before Lucas started ruining everything.

My VHS tapes contradict yours. :p

Well, rugged individualism is a thing. Being on, or beyond, the frontier of civilization is a thing. Scraping a living out of the wilderness is a thing. Being lawless, except what you can impose yourself, is a thing. Pioneers facing hostile natives, hostile terrain, hostile weather, hostile bandits, hostile neighbors, that's a thing.

Star Wars and Firefly, are westerns set in space. It doesn't have to be in the North American West. Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in Italy and Spain, but they're still Westerns. They represent and unspecified location in the American West, regardless of where they are filmed.

In the original scene Greedo never gets off a shot. He does admittedly, and stupidly, point his gun at Han first, which is a perfectly good excuse to shoot him in my book.

He's a bounty hunter. There's a bounty involved. No more excuse for shooting first is required.

He's a bounty hunter. There's a bounty involved. No more excuse for shooting first is required.

A dumb bounty hunter. I'd have delivered Solo to Jabba...here's his head, here's his arms, here's his belly on down. I pointed a blaster point blank at his chest and when his mouth opened it went off. No extended conversation with him lounging at a table with his gun and his hand out of sight.

A dumb bounty hunter. I'd have delivered Solo to Jabba...here's his head, here's his arms, here's his belly on down. I pointed a blaster point blank at his chest and when his mouth opened it went off. No extended conversation with him lounging at a table with his gun and his hand out of sight.

Dumb, sure. He won a Darwin Award for his species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom