The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a word for the rhetorical tactic of finding a category that is generally considered then manipulating the definition of the category to include something the speaker does not like with the aim of criticising the thing because of its membership of the category, rather than the inherent value of the thing itself?

This is perhaps most commonly used with the category terrorism, with examples of things such as [1], [2], [3] and [4]. Other examples include racism [5], [6] and riot [6].

Yes, since the time of the sophists in Athens, this is known as "promoting the weakest point as the strongest".
It was already examined as a technique of writers of defense speeches (at the time the defendant had to memorize the speech and present it to the court himself/herself, instead of the actual writer).

I must admit that because it has such bad press, I never watched part III...
It's a bit… let's say that it's an ‘acceptable’ film which lacks some key actors due to money disputes and it being an original sequel instead of the unused half of the book, while the other two were masterpieces and next to them anything with the name ‘Godfather’ would automatically look inferior.

Thank you. Should I ever watch it, I'd see it as a curiosity. Like the new Star Wars.
F.F. Coppola apparently did quite a lot of commissioned work after One from the Heart bombed.

What is recovery from gallbladder removal surgery like?

I've read all the clinical stuff, so I'm mostly interested in personal anecdote. I think someone here had theirs removed a few years ago. @Narz, maybe?

I've read all the clinical stuff, so I'm mostly interested in personal anecdote. I think someone here had theirs removed a few years ago. @Narz, maybe?
Yeah, it was Narz. We had a conversation about it.

It hurts. It leaves scars, though they do fade with time.

But the positive is that you won't ever feel the agony of a gallbladder attack again.

esp. @schlaufuchs or @Takhisis; would "sedentarian" be a legit nominalization of sedentary: seated person?

I had mine removed 15 or so years ago. I was in the hospital one night after laparoscopic surgery. I might have taken a few days off work, but just took those days easy. I had no issues with pain that two Ibuprofen couldn't handle. No heavy lifting (5-10 lb max) or abdominal stress/strain for maybe 4 weeks. I did not change my diet afterwards and haven't done so since, but I think I may eat reasonably healthy. My scars have all faded from the 4-5 incisions made during the surgery. all were small.

esp. @schlaufuchs or @Takhisis; would "sedentarian" be a legit nominalization of sedentary: seated person?
First of all, ‘sedentarian’ is already acknowledged by Wiktionary as

2. Any person who has a sedentary lifestyle.​

so that's already a yes.

In any case, I had already figured out that a) in English you can use adjectives as nouns if you remember to pluralise them when appropriate (the reds, the blues, etc.) so ‘the sedentaries’ is valid (Wiktionary has a few examples) but also, with English-speakers' mania for inkhorn barely-if-at-all-adapted borrowings from Latin, you could just say ‘sedents’, which isn't the exact same in any case.

So, yes, in conclusion, you can say ‘sedentarian’.

I fractionally prefer "sedents", but stylistically I'ld jump through linguistic hoops to avoid either.

upload_2021-11-11_21-42-55.png

Who is the guy in the first row (white beard), who looks like a civil war general? :p

I fractionally prefer "sedents", but stylistically I'ld jump through linguistic hoops to avoid either.
‘Sedent’ applies specifically for anyone who sits (compare sejant for sitting animals in heraldry) while sedentarian refers specifically to sedentarism, but that'd be like ‘revolutionise’ from ‘revolution’, from ‘revolve’…

First of all, ‘sedentarian’ is already acknowledged by Wiktionary

Thanks, Tak. I tried OED. They're going to be slower with neologisms.

It's for a slightly comic, or tongue-in-cheek, effect. I should have said that in the original post.

With you, I don't think I'd use it unironically.

Last edited:
Colonel Sanders died some time ago.

Is there a way to make a Word document, say, (but actually anything that lets me set my own text, so Paint would be fine, too) that looks like a bronze plaque?

So, slightly three-dimensional raised letters. Bronze color, overall. Just that the final look of it is like a bronze plaque?

Googling just takes me to people who will actually manufacture a bronze plaque for you.

Is there a way to make a Word document, say, (but actually anything that lets me set my own text, so Paint would be fine, too) that looks like a bronze plaque?

So, slightly three-dimensional raised letters. Bronze color, overall. Just that the final look of it is like a bronze plaque?

Googling just takes me to people who will actually manufacture a bronze plaque for you.

Probably there will be something like this for a text editor, but surely there are many ways to do that using an image editing program. Gimp is free, and will have such options (though I almost never work with text on image software, so couldn't tell you where the options are in the menu).
A good idea would be to google for "3d letters", "pseudo-3d letters" or similar.

what's Tolkienese for Eagle-of-the-West ? A simple Eagle will also do , if the first is unknown .

Thoron for Eagle. Numen for West. Not sure if there's a way to make it genitive.

Just Googled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom