The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Synsensa try the wonderful world of fritters. They allow you to turn anything, especially leftovers, into edible food. You can try whatever sort of batter you like best and season with anything, and you'll need one mixing bowl and the one frying pan and you'll be set. You can also choose what to fry them in so you needn't fatten up on needlessly absorbed oil. :)

The typical dishwasher cycle sterilizes.

That really depends, and is for this probably not true, but luckily to a level that it's not relevant.
So: In microbiological labs the sterilization is typically performed at 121°C with steam. Basically the only thing which potentially survives this are fungal spores and bacterial spores. Your regular dish washer, while damn hot, while probably not be more effective than a lab autoclave.
But even there the remaining contamination is normally not high, if normal cleaning procedures are followed. I would not expect to have a higher fungal load than the environment anyways had (there's always some floating around in the air). If you are really worried, run it a second time, but that reduce the percentage by a little bit, but it should not matter too much.

Luckily fungi are in 99.99999% of all cases not dangerous for a healthy human (unlike bacteria), so this doesn't pose a threat to you.
(never eat spoiled food though; fungi produce toxins, which are secreted into the food, and these are actually dangerous; they also might be involved in causing allergies)

That really depends, and is for this probably not true, but luckily to a level that it's not relevant.
So: In microbiological labs the sterilization is typically performed at 121°C with steam. Basically the only thing which potentially survives this are fungal spores and bacterial spores. Your regular dish washer, while damn hot, while probably not be more effective than a lab autoclave.
But even there the remaining contamination is normally not high, if normal cleaning procedures are followed. I would not expect to have a higher fungal load than the environment anyways had (there's always some floating around in the air). If you are really worried, run it a second time, but that reduce the percentage by a little bit, but it should not matter too much.

Luckily fungi are in 99.99999% of all cases not dangerous for a healthy human (unlike bacteria), so this doesn't pose a threat to you.
(never eat spoiled food though; fungi produce toxins, which are secreted into the food, and these are actually dangerous; they also might be involved in causing allergies)

I realize it's short of an autoclave. But it has to be sanitary enough to eat off of. Which means sanitary enough so that there's no food born illnesses can survive on things which will be used for food.

Yes, totally.
Maybe I should have phrased it differently, but for practical purposes I did agree with you :), just wanted to mention that technically it's different.

Piggybacking off that question, is there something to the home remedy of putting vinegar in the mouldy container to kill of spores before washing it?

Piggybacking off that question, is there something to the home remedy of putting vinegar in the mouldy container to kill of spores before washing it?
I wouldn't trust vinegar to be a strong enough acid to kill mold spores. So long as the washing process flushes off everything it should be sufficient, predose of vinegar or no.

Ok my question is, why are potato chips only suitable for like 3-4 dips but corn tortilla chips are suitable for a cornucopia of dip choices?

For example, potato chips are good with sour cream/mayo based dips like french onion and ranch, and I also like ketchup or siraccha and sweet dips like chocolate mixed with peanut butter is good too. That's about it.
It depends on what variety of potato chip and what flavor. Not all flavors are better with dip (ie. bacon-flavored; why ruin it with dip?).

The two kinds of chip dip I like are either onion (plain onion, not french onion) or dill pickle. The two flavors of chips I'll use dip for are either plain or barbecue.

The brand of barbecue chips matters. Old Dutch is better than Lays. The current version of Pringles barbecue chips is more smoky, like the old mesquite barbecue flavor they had years ago.

Of the flavors of chips I have stashed away now, only the plain ones would benefit from dip (I don't have any; it's nice but not essential). The others - bacon, salt & pepper, ketchup, sour cream & onion - don't need dip.

I actually had no idea, and had to do some quick research.
So, it seems there is no direct answer.
Most fungi do not seem to grow below a pH of 2 (that varies per species, some will have a higher limit), and pure household vinegar seems to have a pH of ~2.5. It seems there is also some effect on the cell wall, that it changes during lower pH, but the effect is unclear.
I would also expect that putting it on only shortly will not have any effect at all, but letting it soak in for longer might.
So, tl;dr: :dunno: maybe.

It doesn't hurt though.
Using vinegar will also help you get rid of chalk and other solidly attached waste, so this might be the main benefit.
It's also not toxic in low concentrations. You might be used of people cleaning e.g. their kettle/water boiler/etc with vinegar. That's mostly because it will definitely get rid of the chalk, and unless e.g. bleach it's totally harmless in low concentrations and can safely be consumed.

People can upload their own photos of areas, I'm not sure what the rules are.

Someone somewhere was messing with taking images and uploading them to random spots on the maps.

How do I get my named changed back to GamezRule? Is it like the old days when you just messaged a site Admin and waited? Because I did that months ago...

How do I get my named changed back to GamezRule? Is it like the old days when you just messaged a site Admin and waited? Because I did that months ago...

Yeah. You might have PMed an inactive admin. @Petek is still active, I think.

Edit: No posts since January. Maybe not.

Yeah. You might have PMed an inactive admin. @Petek is still active, I think.

Edit: No posts since January. Maybe not.
Last time I was active was around 2014. I miss the old layout because it was so much more familiar. :lol:

edit: So my next question is who is a good active admin to message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom