1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

It's almost as if the deck were stacked against people other than preferentially male predatory psychopaths.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

hobbsyoyo and The_J like this.
  3. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

upload_2020-2-1_13-34-41.jpeg
    All I can think of now is a FPS where you are the Quaker Oats guy.

shadowplay and hobbsyoyo like this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

There was already Chex Quest

Ajidica likes this.
  5. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The Quaker Oats guy is supposedly William Penn, so his video game is Sid Meir's Colonisation.

cardgame, hobbsyoyo and Ajidica like this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

I'm sure that aimee can locate a Half-life mod where you do exactly that.

cardgame and Synsensa like this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I feel like there eventually was a Halo RTS game but it was meh.

8. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Halo Wars, the last game made by Ensemble Studios.

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Yeah, Halo Wars. The problem with it though is that it didn't have depth, but that was kind of a necessity since it was a RTS designed specifically for consoles.

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Speaking of Chex, they now have a peanut butter variety (I have a couple of boxes of it in my cupboard, but haven't tried it yet).

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I had Command & Conquer 64. Star Craft was also on the 64. You can do console RTS without sacrificing depth.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

And there's also Halo Wars 2. I have both on PC :D

13. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Neither of those were very good ports though. Neither was the C&C 3 port to the 360. At least in my opinion they weren't very good. Mostly because I felt like the controls weren't reacting as fast as I'd like them to, especially compared to their PC counterparts. Halo Wars didn't really have that problem though. Quite the opposite in fact. Halo Wars was awesome on console, but when it finally got ported to the PC a few years later, it was kinda garbage. Mostly because the controls didn't really conform to the "standard" of PC RTSs, kinda like how an FPS that doesn't conform to the "COD" standard control scheme just feels...wrong.

I don't know about Halo Wars 2 though as I never played it.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Josu

Josu King

Today starts a trial in the basque country about Archaeological forgery in the site of Iruña-Veleia

TIL that this forgery would include fake Egyptian hieroglyphs

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I suppose this is fair. C&C 64 was literally the very first RTS I ever played so I wouldn't have noticed the controls back then. I did notice the game had a serious tendency to chug - but this was made infinitely worse by my Gameshark. :mischief:

16. Josu

Josu King

There is a tradition in basque country of wearing a cord necklace blessed by Sain Blaise, which allegedly prevents from throat conditions.

TIL that a Basque politician has claimed that with this cord, there would not exist any coronavirus.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Hrothbern likes this.
  17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

TIL the Soviets frequently targeted the US as the site for emergency landings of their Soyuz capsule. It makes perfect sense given they need large tracts of flat, mid-latitude ground for the landings but it's still kind of surprising. They included warnings and instructions on how to deal with the capsule in English on the capsule itself since they did not want to openly communicate these plans to the US.

Amateur radio operators figured all this out when they deciphered contingency landing instructions that were broadcast to capsules in orbit that were undergoing technical issues. The critical piece of information that helped them decode it was the phrase 'landing angle' which was Soviet jargon for the ground distance the spacecraft would cover during reentry. The amateur radio operators ran into a cosmonaut at a conference and asked him what that phrase meant and when he explained it, they were then able to decipher the meaning of these transmissions as the landing angle would have placed the capsules in position for a touchdown in Texas. Today, you can see some of the English instructions painted on the capsules that are museum pieces.

Also TIL: The next standard of over the air broadcast (ATSC 3.0) will include the ability for channels to be blocked if you picking up signals that are outside the market area of the broadcast. They also have the ability to force people to sign in to unlock channels as well. In other words, the fragmentation we're seeing in the streaming arena may soon spread to over the air broadcasts soon.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  18. aimeeandbeatles

The_J, hobbsyoyo and Manfred Belheim like this.
  19. aimeeandbeatles

The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's called Point Nemo and it's the farthest point from land on the planet. Helpfully, there is a deep trench there though I'm sure scientist will someday prove we've been destroying some fragile ecosystem or something. Most spacecraft don't survive reentry or at most come down in small, pretty harmless pieces of metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.