Trump Indicted!

If the market expectation is that Trump will dump his TS stock in the very near future, wouldn't that motivate everyone else holding TS stock to dump their holdings first, before the share price goes down?

Well, that's why I asked if he has some special privilege in terms of the execution of his trade, as majority owner.

But that reasoning applies to him and the other wealthy people who are in. The average joes are buying the stock to support Trump, not out of any financial consideration.

So whatever portion of that valuation derives from them, they'll be the ones left holding the bag.

If the market expectation is that Trump will dump his TS stock in the very near future, wouldn't that motivate everyone else holding TS stock to dump their holdings first, before the share price goes down?
It would depend on how much would be sold and how the market perceives the value of the company. I wouldn’t personally put any money into social media platforms—I just see it as a fickle business with few barriers to entry other than establishing a userbase.

NY judge issues gag order on Trump in hush money trial​

By Kara Scannell, CNN

A New York judge has imposed a gag order on Donald Trump, limiting the former president from making statements about potential witnesses in the upcoming criminal trial relating to hush money payments. Judge Juan Merchan also said Trump can’t make or cause others to make public statements about attorneys, court staff or the family members of prosecutors or lawyers intended to interfere with the case. The order does not apply to New York District Attorney Alvin Bragg, who is a public figure.

Trump is also barred from making or causing others to make statements about any potential or actual juror. Trump’s historic criminal trial will begin with jury selection on April 15, after a dispute over the late production of documents caused Merchan to initially push back the start date. Trump is charged with 34 counts of falsifying business records stemming from reimbursements to Michael Cohen for hush money payments he made before the 2016 election to adult film star Stormy Daniels to keep her from going public about an alleged affair with Trump. The former president has pleaded not guilty and denied the affair.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Good.

Good he's being gagged. And right from the outset.

Not . . . let him get all his digs in and then gag him.

The former president's net worth has soared by more than $4 billion this year to an estimated $7.2 billion, per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Trump ranked 377th on the rich list at Tuesday's market close, above the likes of Netflix cofounder Reed Hastings ($6 billion), oil-dynasty heir Gordon Getty ($6.2 billion), and Home Depot cofounder Bernie Marcus ($6.9 billion).

But the hair on his head began to grow again after it had been shaved.

His Truth Social thing shot up to $8b on day 1, I heard.

When the profit takers step it will go down just as fast.

I can't imagine those valuations are durable. This is one of the scary things about our markets now. One day in the future the concept of price discovery is going to revisit the markets and it will not be swell.

I can't imagine those valuations are durable. This is one of the scary things about our markets now. One day in the future the concept of price discovery is going to revisit the markets and it will not be swell.
So are you invested in bonds? the markets go up and they go down. We have a very log history of it and it is very easy to see the trends. If you choose to look at short time intervals, you can see a very wobbly volatile market or a strongly rising one or even a crashing one. In any case, though, the markets have been rising or flat for most of the last 100 years. One can judge success by when you sell (or don't sell) when compared to when you bought. Capital losses are only pertinent when you sell. Having to sell in a decline is a bummer. Fearing to hold in a decline is a personal problem. I've been a buy and hold investor since the early 90s and only shifted from mostly stocks to 50/50 since retiring. Over that time, every dramatic downturn has reversed and reached new highs. Over that time individual stocks have their own paths.Ssome are short and some are long. Some will make you rich and others will make you poor. I am not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to out smart the market by indulging in individual stocks.

Individual stocks are subject to the whims of news and and reports. The frenzy of Trump's Truth Social stock is mostly political and I would put it in the risky category. I am pretty sure that the moment Trump starts to sell, it will trigger a more massive sell off. Between now and then it seems like guess work.

Well, that's why I asked if he has some special privilege in terms of the execution of his trade, as majority owner.

But that reasoning applies to him and the other wealthy people who are in. The average joes are buying the stock to support Trump, not out of any financial consideration.

So whatever portion of that valuation derives from them, they'll be the ones left holding the bag.
And they will take pride in having "fought the good fight" on Trump's behalf. Having shed if not blood then the next best thing for him will only enhance their fervour for the Cause.

But I've got lots of other questions about this, for you people who understand the market better than I do.

First, I think we're all assuming (and one place else I read) that yesterday's rise is driven by individual Trumpist investors, deciding to go in on this stock, and not primarily as a financial matter (maybe even knowing full well that it won't earn them money, and even stand to lose it all), but because they believe in the cause: free speech. So, they're trying to send a message with their investment: our country so badly needs a place for conservative voices to be heard, that I'm going to support that venture with my own capital.

Ignore all these figures in their own right, because I don't know if they're accurate, but just use them to help me think through the matter. I think DJT was valued at $3b when it opened and went up to $8b the first day. 50,000 people sinking $100,000 each into it could generate that $5b. I can kind of imagine that there are that many Trumpers with that much money to play around with and who believe in this cause.

And imagine also for a moment that the whole thing was not intentionally designed as a pump-and-dump (Trump pump-and-dump), and that even the early investors aren't instantly going to pull their money out and fleece those true believers.

In that case, would the value of the stock just sit at $8b? The company doesn't generate revenues, but also doesn't have much by way of operating expenses. So it's valuation would simply be, and continue, as the money people have dropped into it, yes?

I ask in part because one idea someone in the NYT has is that Trump would just want to point the the value of his company, so that on that level he has an incentive not to cash in his 58% right out of the gate.

And then, my second question is. Let's say he, for the time being at least, just wants the $175 million that he needs to appeal the NY case. While the stock is valued at $8b, he could just take out 2%. Not enough to look like he was bailing on the stock. Not enough to start the cascade. But just enough to temporarily give him that sum of money. Is that correct?

Nice work if you can get it.

Last edited:
I'd venture a guess there was a cash out arrangement during IPO. Alternatively, these shares can be collateral in various types of schemes. Bottom line, even if he was penniless, he’s not anymore.

(Trump pump-and-dump)

Trump-and-dump, I insist!

50,000 people sinking $100,000 each into it could generate that $5b

That’s not exactly how it works in the markets. Without going into needless calc one needs a billion pump money to generate 3bn market cap. Think of it like this: there is a bunch of buyers/sellers concentrated from +5% to -5% current market price. Usually, a big volume of money, the side effect of which is "protection" against bursts of volatility. Once the share sellers are overwhelmed, it’ easy to push price up ‘for cheap’ until new sellers get it together and stop this upward movement. This sort of thing is known to become very emotional very fast.

This market reaction seems exaggerated, decoupled from financial reality of the company, which is not unusual, just rare. Whether this is a pump scheme or some sort of confidence vote remains to be seen. I doubt this whole thing is about financial success of "Truth Social". Last thing we need today is another Truth Social. But I may be wrong, and this could be the third option.

EDIT:

Went to have a look at financials. According to an SEC filing from DWAC, Trump Media lost $49 million in the first nine months of last year and brought in $3.4 million in revenue. :thumbsup: It's a cash burner. This is an enterprise that's needs a pair of defibrillator paddles, not a gold medal and validation of the masses. Or an endless stream of cash to keep it alive artificially, exactly how it happened until today. Trump can try to pitch to some of his sponsors, provided there are some stupid/greedy ones left (and there are bound to be some), that when he becomes President...(!!) he's going to flood this company with moneys (wink-wink). Also, at $70 mil annual losses an $8bn company can live for years before going bust. So, the dangers of total annihilation of value are not imminent. Provided market valuation doesn't suddenly fall off a cliff. Then he would be in deep trouble.

Last edited:
A company valued at $8 billion in stock value but without any other assets or income stream is in trouble. Will Donald sell his shares to prop up the company? :lol: Will any shareholders? Most shareholders are not connected to the company and if they sell their shares they will doing it to put money in their own pocket. The only way for the company to get more cash is to issue new shares. It is a house of cards.

And then, my second question is. Let's say he, for the time being at least, just wants the $175 million that he needs to appeal the NY case. While the stock is valued at $8b, he could just take out 2%. Not enough to look like he was bailing on the stock. Not enough to start the cascade. But just enough to temporarily give him that sum of money. Is that correct?
He is prohibited from selling any shares for 6 months.

Truth Social has less than 1M users, which is ridiculously small for a social media outlet or app.

Using the current market valuation for Twitter/X divided by its userbase as the baseline, Truth Social is worth around $120M.

But DJT needs money!

Top Bottom