TT01: Beating Demigod

You mean I get to finish another SG? I suppose everyone wants tons of pictures? I will probably start playing tomorrow (day off from work). Do you want the last town, ThinkTank? Or should I put the Coup de grace save for everyone to see?

Or should I put the Coup de grace save for everyone to see?

That's fine!

Is it too early to start post-morteming?

So here's my take on this game. We started beating up the AI early on and kept beating them until they were gone. We only build few city improvements - what was necessary to have a reasonable economy and a reasonable research rate. We stayed in the game techwise by a combination of trading and self-research. And we kept beating up the AI. The title of this game should have been "Beating up demigod".

At the start of the game, as I have also seen in solo games, the demigod AIs can be scary in terms of numbers of units and tech advance. They key thing to do then is: keep focussed on your goals, and use alliances to secure them as long as you are weak with respect to the AI. And most of all: don't panic.

I saw one other big thing with this game. Keeping enemy cities is almost impossible while they still exist, the culture level seems to be so much higher than even Emperor. So even nice wonders were not worth the hassle of flips later in the game. The 2 cities with wonders that we did keep did flip more than once. Anyway, I finished it last night and so I will get my pictures to the image hosting site and get the final post ready forthwith.

Here it is, the capper to this fine SG. My final turn-log:
Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.
Things are in excellent condition for a quick victory. Do some very minor MM’ing to increase our income.

Civilian units:
Settlers 0
Workers 73
Slaves 159

Military units:
Warriors 3
Archers 2
Swords 5
Knights 1
Cavalry 74
Swiss Mercs 23
Infantry 27
Guerilla 1
MDIs 16
Crusaders 6
Armies 15, 1 Sword, 2 MDI, 12 Cavalry
Artillery 94, 14 captured
Trebuchet, 1 captured.
Bombers 12

Ships:
Galleons 15
Frigate 6
Cruisers 5
Destroyers 5
Transports 16

Unit stats
Total units 385
Units Allowed 304
Unit support 81 gpt.

Press enter=>

IBT: French Frigates miss while trying to bombard our Destroyer, but their days are very numbered.
Very little Inca movement.
Rotterdam Cavalry=>Cavalry.
New Amsterdam Artillery=>Artillery.
Groningen gets pollution Barracks=>Cavalry.
Delft Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Arnhem Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Breda Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Leiden Cavalry=>Cavalry.
New Eindhoven Harbor=>Transport.

Turn 1, 1340 AD: Battle of New York: Redline all defenders with artillery.
4th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1 hp.
4th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
4th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -4 hp, and New York is ours!
Battle of Washington: Redline all defenders with artillery.
Cavalry<1hp Rifle. BS! Armies are better!
5th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1hp.
5th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -2hp.
5th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
Cavalry>Longbow, -1hp, and Washington is ours! 2 catapults and a worker taken.
Battle of San Francisco: Redline all defenders with artillery.
6th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
6th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1 hp.
vCavalry>Longbow, -2hp, and San Francisco is ours!
Battle of Chuquiapo: Redline all defenders with artillery.
9th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
9th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -2 hp.
9th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean and Chuquiapo is ours!
Battle of Atlanta: Can’t redline all defenders with artillery, but damage them all.
8th Cavalry>2hp Rifle, -2 hp.
8th Cavalry>2hp Rifle, -5 hp :eek:
Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -4 hp, and New York is ours!
Land troops on French island. Done right, I can win this in 3 more turns, mostly because of the forests and the distance to the Incan island.

IBT: 1 Inca counterattack, a rifle loses to our cavalry, no damage. All frigates miss.
Pollution at Pasargadae.
Pasargadae Infantry=>Infantry.
New Leerdam Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Utrecht Cavalry=>Cavalry.

Turn 2, 1345 AD: 1st battle of Toulouse: Bombard as much possible.
Cavalry retreats from 2hp Rifle.
Cavalry>2hp Rifle, -1hp.
Cavalry>2hp Rifle clean, promotes.
Cavalry>2hp Rifle clean, promotes.
I Decide an army may be needed.
Battle of Boston: Redline all defenders with artillery.
Cavalry>Longbow clean, and Boston is ours!
Battle of Seattle: Redline all defenders with artillery.
7th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle,-2hp, and Seattle is ours! 1 Catapult taken.
Battle of Chicago: Redline all defenders with artillery.
Cavalry>Longbow clean, and Chicago is ours!
Troops landed at Arequipa and Juli. 3 Incan and 2 French towns left.
I’m worried about an Incan Frigate and Galleon, there may be a settler pair aboard.

IBT: Incan Galleon mills about.
French Longbow suicides on our Infantry.
Amsterdam Infantry=>Infantry.
New York Worker=>Worker.
Delft Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Arnhem Cavalry=>Cavalry.

Turn 3, 1350 AD: Sink the Galleon, no settler pair there now.
Battle of Juli: Redline all defenders with artillery.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean, promotes.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -3hp, promotes, and Juli is ours!
Battle of Arequipa: Redline 2 defenders with artillery.
11th Cavalry>2hp Rifle, -1 hp
11th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, clean, unit within promotes.
11th Cavalry>Longbow, -1hp, promotes, and Arequipa is ours!
2nd battle of Toulouse: Bombard as much possible.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1hp.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean.
Cavalry>Longbow clean, promotes, and Toulouse is ours!
Can’t get Bayonne until armies can attack in 2 turns.

IBT: French Longbow comes out of the fog, killing a Cavalry and capturing 6 slaves. Bastard!
Middleburg Artillery=>Artillery.
Breda Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Leiden Cavalry=>Cavalry.

Turn 4, 1355 AD: Battle of Atico: Redline some defenders with ship bombardments.
1st Mace Army>1hp Rifle, -4hp.
Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1hp.
Cavalry<Longbow!
1st Mace Army>2hp Longbow clean, and Atico is ours! 4 slaves taken.
Thus dies the “mighty” Inca.
France gets it next.

Move our bombers to Toulouse.

IBT: Toulouse deposes us………are you f’ing kidding me!
Groningen Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Delft Cavalry=>Cavalry.
Arnhem Cavalry=>Cavalry.

Turn 5, 1360 AD: Battle of Bayonne: Redline everyone with artillery and ships, since our bombers were all in Toulouse.
12th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean
12th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean and Bayonne is ours! Abandon it. I hate France!
They will die next turn

IBT: French Frigates fortify in The louse, but stopping my bombardment won’t stop me.
Amsterdam Infantry=>Infantry.
New Roosendaal Artillery=>Artillery.
Hareid Frigate=>Frigate.
Breda Cavalry=>Cavalry.

Turn 6, 1365 AD: 3rd battle of Toulouse: Bombard as much as possible.
9th Cavalry>1hp Rifle, -1hp.
9th Cavalry>1hp Rifle clean, and Toulouse is ours!
France destroyed,
We win!
Rubbing it in:

Great game, everyone! It has been a pleasure working with everyone on this team, I'd be happy to be involved in any future projects with anyone involved in this one. It has been a learning experience that was also enjoyable. Thanks, guys!

The save:

Well done! :cheers:

Great game, everyone! It has been a pleasure working with everyone on this team, I'd be happy to be involved in any future projects with anyone involved in this one. It has been a learning experience that was also enjoyable. Thanks, guys!

Amen. Thank you all guys for keeping this thing alive when I was away!

I do not expect to roll TT02 in the very near future as I will not have too much time for civ on hand. But when I do I will certainly invite you all to play!

I do not expect to roll TT02 in the very near future as I will not have too much time for civ on hand. But when I do I will certainly invite you all to play!

I'll look forward to that - playing this has re-kindled my interest in SGs. Thanks for persuading me to play it.

I'll echo that sentiment.

I saw one other big thing with this game. Keeping enemy cities is almost impossible while they still exist, the culture level seems to be so much higher than even Emperor. So even nice wonders were not worth the hassle of flips later in the game. The 2 cities with wonders that we did keep did flip more than once.

That's not always the case, Overseer; if memory serves, we built hardly any culture at all - maybe half a dozen libraries/unis(?). What this game did show is that there is no 'one size fits all' strategy; I seem to remember saying early on, that with a 'conquest' vc all we really needed to build were barracks and units - that strategy was very 'game specific'.

I hope everyone took on-board the importance of keeping artillery units up to date (paying unit support for ineffective units is a double-whammy); and the devastating effect that a mass-pillage can have. I remember the first time that I won at Deity - I brought a runaway AI to it's knees in something like 20 turns, employing just such a tactic.

I enjoyed this game immensely. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a team just doesn't gel; this team was as good as any I've played with - thank you all.

great game and lots of fun to play with all of you, guys.

@ tt, thanks for taking me aboard on this. i was not sure how i would be able to find the time for playing, but continuing interest made it possible.

@ Buce - thanks for your support to all of us. it was your enthusiasm which got me started on the SG-idea. watching you play with that straightforward approach amazed me. i learned a lot in terms of focussing on the short and long term goals - my friend, you won´t believe it, i even started a SID (! :eek:) game last night.... and it didn´t go too bad.
(i´m testing sth you uttered once in a pm... i´ll let you know)
btw, you wanted to give us some insight why you thought this game didn´t feel like Demigod for you. i think i already know the answer, but please could you formulate it?

other last words:
+ what we saw is that there are no builds you always need. sometimes you need culture, sometimes just military, sometimes a mix of everything.
+ when i said that the "pillaging first" strategy was unusual to me i didn´t mean that it was wrong we applied it. it is just something i generally ruled out in my single games. what i don´t like about it is that the AI won´t attack armies. so pillaging with single units is fine for me. but it wouldn´t have that effect. still, i just uttered a matter of fact and if i applied the strategy poorly, to explain why - there was no criticism swinging with it.
+ when you are prepared, you have to start the fight. we had that situation when we wanted to start war with the Persians and suddenly had to go to war with the Iros as well - and were even close to a 3rd war with Ragnar at the same time. but i think we did exactly the right thing. waiting very probably would have ruined our quick conquest of our continent, as Persia had many cities and would have grown very strong within very short.
+ re flip risk, i see it like that: if you want to keep a city, that´s ok even on DG or Deity, but you have to be prepared. leave sufficient troops next to it to retake it (as often as necessary). don´t heal troops inside. in those last turns this didn´t do anything, but i wouldn´t have stationed the bombers in that French city - just building an airfield while progressing (dunno if that would have worked with the operation radius though) generally appears the better choice.

i would love to take invititations from any of you and play with this team again. then, hopefully only one of you does one SG at a time - as i fear i won´t be able to find the time to play in more than one.
and who knows, maybe at some time i am struck with a really bold SG idea and ask you for the favour of joining in with me in return :)

Top Bottom