"Turkey to freeze EU ties if Cyprus gets EU presidency"

Winner

Diverse in Unity
The final nail into the coffin of the Turkish EU membership bid?

I just love this Turkish government. I mean, if there was a sane, calm, secular government in charge that really tried to fulfil EU membership criteria, recognized Cyprus, apologized to Armenia, maintained good relations will all countries in the region, etc., it would be hard for people to argue against the membership for Turkey. But with this government in charge, Turkey practically defeats itself. It's too good to be true :lol:

Turkey to freeze EU ties if Cyprus gets EU presidency

By REUTERS
09/18/2011 12:34

Strongest statement yet on opposition to Cyprus' scheduled accession to rotating presidency comes amid row over offshore gas drilling.

ANKARA - EU-candidate Turkey will freeze relations with the European Union if Cyprus is given the EU presidency in 2012, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Besir Atalay was quoted as saying by state-run news agency Anatolian late on Saturday.

The comments were the strongest yet by Ankara over its opposition to the Cyprus presidency and could mark the start of a new low point in ties between the European Union and Turkey which began accession talks to the bloc in 2005.

The comments also come at a time of heightened tension in the eastern Mediterranean where Turkey is locked in a row with Cyprus over potential offshore gas deposits. Turkey's relations with one-time ally Israel are also at a low.

"If the peace negotiations there (Cyprus) are not conclusive, and the EU gives its rotating presidency to southern Cyprus, the real crisis will be between Turkey and the EU," Anatolian quoted Atalay as telling Turkish Cypriot Bayrak Radio and TV at the end of a trip to northern Cyprus.

"Because we will then freeze our relations with the EU. We have made this announcement, as a government we have made this decision. Our relations with the EU will come to a sudden halt."

The internationally-recognized Greek Cypriot government is due to take on the six-month rotating EU presidency in July 2012.

Cyprus has been divided since a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief Greek-inspired coup. UN-sponsored peace talks between Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots have stumbled since they were relaunched in 2008.

In July, Turkey's European Union minister said freezing ties with the Greek Cypriot EU presidency was "an option" but Atalay's comments were the first time Ankara has said it would definitely halt relations.

Greek Cypriots represent the island internationally and in the European Union, while Turkey is the only country to recognize the Turkish Cypriot state. Greek Cypriots say Turkey cannot join the bloc until the Cyprus conflict is resolved.

The rotating presidency has lost some importance since the EU's Lisbon treaty, which established a permanent head of the European Council that groups national governments, and a new foreign and security policy chief. But a determined country can still shape the agenda.

Of the 35 "chapters" -- policy areas of EU law -- Turkey has completed one, and 18 have been frozen because of opposition by EU member states including Cyprus and France.

But with this government in charge, Turkey practically defeats itself.

I'm sure you'd agree with me when I say that Turkey's defeat was virtually certain the moment it applied for EU membership. This government is finally realising it is useless to push on with EU membership, when association with BRIC and the Former Third World gives potentially greater rewards with much less effort.

For a moment, it looked like the pro-Turkey advocates might succeed in shaming the EU countries to just accept Turkey. Then the accession talks started and it soon became clear how the Turks imagine their membership - they get everything they ask for, and we just shut up and give it to them.

However, there are still governments in the EU that, at least for now, publicly support the bid. May this be a wake up call to them.

Well this will not help Turkey in any way.

Its good for Macedonia and Serbia as they may now have less competion to join.

The final nail into the coffin of the Turkish EU membership bid?
That would be awesome. Erdogan is turning the country into an Islamist dictatorship.

Turkey will soon drop the bid, move closer to Russia and focus on the ME.

Can't Westerners comprehend of anything other than "pro-Western democracy" and "Islamist dictatorship" :rolleyes:

Well, so far they've been desperately short of examples of a liberal democratic Islamic state (if that's not an oxymoron).

RedRalph said:
Turkey will soon drop the bid, move closer to Russia and focus on the ME.

I read that Russia is moving two nuclear subs into Eastern Med to dissuade the Turks from any aggressive action against the Greek Cypriots over the gas drilling issue. Hmm... :)

Well, so far they've been desperately short of examples of a liberal democratic Islamic state (if that's not an oxymoron).
Indonesia? World's largest Muslim state.

Turkey has been particularly feisty lately.

Turkey might as well give up on the EU, the negotiations don't really seem to be going anywhere. Unfortunately this means there will be less incentive to improve on human rights in Turkey.

Turkey is going to end up being the main player in the ME if they play their cards right.

Well, Turkey has a whole lot of new opportunities in the Middle East so this isn't surprising.

Top Bottom