Unique names for UHV goals

Vikings:
Overlords: Control a foreign core in 1000 AD
The Western Shore: Found a city in the Americas by 1050 AD
The Hammer of the Gods: acquire 3000 gold by plundering by 1500 AD

Dunno about the first one, but the two last ones should clearly be called Vinland and Danegeld.

Oh, I like Danegeld as a goal name.

I'll have more time from tomorrow on again and might take this up as the next feature (there isn't that much to do anymore and I'd rather put off fixing the AP and UN as long as possible). Which means I'll consider the existing suggestions and might ask for more for civs where I'm not completely satisfied. It'd help me a great deal if the OP was updated by then.

For my own convenience, my preference for Spain:

Plus Ultra: Be first to found a city in the Americas
The Treasure Fleet: Control a total of 10 gold and silver resources
Soldiers of God: Spread Catholicism to 40% and allow no Protestants in Europe

I chose Dai-to-a over Dai Nippon Teikoku because of an important distinction.

Just to be clear, I do not dispute that there is a distinction between the two terms. I just wanted to point out that Dai nippon teikoku may talk to people more than dai-to-a would (not mentioning, at least for me, it sounds cooler :lol:) and in this sense be a better choice.

Okay, I've added goal titles for most civilizations except those two. The Greek suggestions are a bit generic in places, I think it's possible to find better ideas for them. India has the problem that most of them overlap with the Hindu URV.

I'm open to more suggestions.

Greece
Great minds/Age of Pericles/Classic Studies: Be the first to discover Literature, Philosophy and Drama
Great wonders/Olympian Gods: Build the Oracle, The Colossus, the Parthenon and the ToA
Great empire/Hellenification: Control Babel, Phoenicia, Egypt and Persia by 330 BC
India
Tirth: Control Hindu and Buddhist Shrines in 100 BC
Dharma: Build 20 temples by 700 AD
Kama: Control 20% of the world's population by 1200 BC

Greek UHV#1 : Birthplace of Europe

Greek UHV#2 : Hellenism

Greek UHV#3 :
- Alexandrian Empire
- Alexander's Dream
- Alexander's Revenge
- Tôi Kratistôi (to the strongest; Alexander's last word in his deathbed)
- The Great Macedon
- Macedonian Empire

That Greece and India is all you need or there's something else? Still researching on India. All I can find right now is Jewel of the Crown which is not relevant at all.

EDIT

Nah! India UHV#2: Land of Prayer

Mostly those two, all others have complete texts already.

Thank you so far!

Definitely 'Toi kratistoi' for three, I really like that idea. 'To the strongest', said Alexander on his deathbed, to whom his empire should go.

And if you do that, perhaps use 'Te kalliste' for two. It means 'to the fairest / nicest', which was written on Paris' apple.

For the first one... Perhaps a well known philosophic quote? Something like Socrates' 'I know that I know nothing'; 'En oida oti ouden oida'. But that is probably too long.

stridjer20, may I suggest that now since the official choices for UHV names already chose, would you please update the #1 post with the official name only in order to avoid confusion? Or perhaps with the official name bolded and the previously proposed name under (bracket and grayed)

Spoiler :
AZTEC

Floating Garden (Jewel of the Triple Empire): Make Tenochitlan the largest city in the world by 1520 AD
Human Sacrifice (Appeasing Quetzalcoatl): Build 6 pagan temple and sacrificial altars by 1650 AD
European Flower Wars (Enslaving Cortez): Enslave 20 Old World units

Ah, we are using English phrases whenever possible?
I notice that some of the phrases that Ben & I suggested are now using their English translations
(All The World Under One Roof & Ten Thousand Years respectively).

Ah, we are using English phrases whenever possible?
I notice that some of the phrases that Ben & I suggested are now using their English translations
(All The World Under One Roof & Ten Thousand Years respectively).
Good question, I don't really have a consistent answer. Generally I think it's pointless to use non-English phrases if people are not familiar with them, especially if it carries a meaning that would be otherwise understood.

For instance, I thought the English translation of hakkou ichiu carried a meaning that was suitable for a title on its own. While for instance Dawah in the Arabian UHV was hard to translate directly into English, so I didn't. Another point I considered was internal consistency for a specific UHV, where I tried to use either only English phrases or only those from their own language.

If you like specific rather than generic:

Greece
The School of Athens: Be the first to discover Literature, Philosophy and Drama
Twelve Olympians: Build the Oracle, The Colossus, the Parthenon and the ToA
The Gordian Knot: Control Babel, Phoenicia, Egypt and Persia by 330 BC

Or if you like Greek Gods:

Greece
The Songs of the Muses: Be the first to discover Literature, Philosophy and Drama
The Works of Hephaestus: Build the Oracle, The Colossus, the Parthenon and the ToA
The Spear of Athena: Control Babel, Phoenicia, Egypt and Persia by 330 BC

Or if you like Greek words:

Greece
Logos: Be the first to discover Literature, Philosophy and Drama
Techne: Build the Oracle, The Colossus, the Parthenon and the ToA
Thumos: Control Babel, Phoenicia, Egypt and Persia by 330 BC

The last set goes well with:

Germany
Übermensch: Settle 7 great people in Berlin by 1900 AD
Lebensraum: Control Italy, France, England, Scandinavia, and Russia
Weltschmerz: Be the first to complete the tech tree

Why would the last two go well with each other? To my knowledge, the Greek ones are just words, while the German ones are more like concepts.

stridjer20, may I suggest that now since the official choices for UHV names already chose, would you please update the #1 post with the official name only in order to avoid confusion? Or perhaps with the official name bolded and the previously proposed name under (bracket and grayed)

Spoiler :
AZTEC

Floating Garden (Jewel of the Triple Empire): Make Tenochitlan the largest city in the world by 1520 AD
Human Sacrifice (Appeasing Quetzalcoatl): Build 6 pagan temple and sacrificial altars by 1650 AD
European Flower Wars (Enslaving Cortez): Enslave 20 Old World units

strij is on leave

As far as the greek ones I think these are the best:

Classic studies: It is exactly that. In ancient greek schools they learnt literature drama and philosophy (and music and mathematics). Nowadays when we say "classic studies" we mean ancient greek literature which includes ancient greek drama and ancient greek philosophy.
Olympian gods/Dodecatheon/Temples of Olympians/Golden age of city-states: This is the most difficult one. All four wonders have the olympian gods in common, so it is a good option. Every wonder was built by a city state when it was in its golden age, but this is more difficult to express.
Alexandrian empire: It is exactly that. Conquer the Alexandrian empire.

Top Bottom