United Church of Christ endorses same-sex marriage

CivCube

Spicy.
First major Christian denomination to do so.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050718/NEWS/50718001/1001

Esther Urban and June Kinder, both senior citizens, greeted the United Church of Christ’s recent vote supporting equal marriage rights for same-sex couples with heartfelt emotion.

For Kinder, it was a day of rejoicing: “I think it’s the right time,” the Sioux Falls woman said.

But for Urban, it was a day of sadness.

“It’s a step too far,” said Urban, of Aberdeen. “I love (the UCC), but I think this is a very wrong decision.”

The decision makes the UCC the first major religious denomination to endorse same-sex marriage.

In the two weeks since the church’s General Synod endorsed same-sex marriage, calling it an issue of civil rights, the denomination’s 1.3 million members, its churches and other religious leaders nationwide have begun coming to grips with what it means for them.

Some in the UCC fear departure of members, but others point to increased interest in the denomination since a television campaign stressed its openness. Two networks refused to air the commercials, which depicted a gay couple.

Churches have long included gay and lesbian parishioners, but political and social forces in recent years have forced religious leaders to address the practical questions of marriage and service.

The UCC is known for deep roots in societal changes – it was first to ordain a black pastor, a woman pastor and an openly gay pastor.

It’s a denomination in which church autonomy is respected, and the resolution acknowledges this issue might be divisive.

To some extent, it already has been, not only among members but with others expressing their anger by damaging church buildings.

“We’re getting a fairly good balance of calls,” says the Rev. Michael Schuenemeyer, the UCC’s minister for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender concerns in Cleveland. “One way to characterize them is the good, the bad and the ugly.”

The Rev. Gene Miller, the UCC’s conference minister in South Dakota, said the nonbinding resolution passed July 4 respects the UCC’s tradition of independent churches.

“Really, what the resolution calls for more than anything is study and dialogue,” he said. “It doesn’t call on anyone to do gay marriages or not to do gay marriages. The crux is, we think it’s OK, we realize you may not think it’s OK, so please, please study it and have dialogue.”

Speaking out

In South Dakota, among the 92 UCC churches, that dialogue has begun.

Lauri Meyers, 37, attended the General Synod in Atlanta as a voting delegate. She voted in favor of the resolution.

“I consider it to be a justice issue,” she said. “We needed to take that step that other people weren’t ready to take yet.”

Other major denominations such as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Episcopal Church (U.S.A.) and the United Methodist Church have struggled in recent years with issues of human sexuality, including the ordination of openly gay pastors.

Both the religious and legislative arenas are engaged in the debate over same-gender marriages. Only Massachusetts permits civil unions for same-sex couples.

The resolution also asks churches to consider supporting legislation granting equal marriage rights to same-gender couples and to work against laws banning gay marriage.

Since South Dakota does not permit such unions, Bob Masters isn’t concerned about the UCC resolution.

“I have more problems with the war in Iraq than I have with this,” said Masters, 63, of Aberdeen.
“It’s not an issue because it’s not legal. When it becomes legal, then I’ll decide what I think about it.”

Urban, a 45-year UCC member, won’t wait for that.

“As a whole, we’ve become far too tolerant in accepting all these new ideas, and some do not follow the principles of Bible teaching at all,” she said. “I heard a minister one time say tolerance is the last vestige of a depraved society, and I’m beginning to think there’s truth in that.”

Urban can accept the UCC’s welcome of gay members, she said, but she can’t compromise her belief that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Urban and Masters are members of the Rev. Rick Riedel’s congregation, Plymouth Congregational Church in Aberdeen.

He, too, points out that since it is illegal to perform same-sex marriages in South Dakota, the resolution changes nothing. However, Riedel is comfortable with the national church’s action.

“I am a believer in the extravagant welcome that the United Church of Christ has issued to all people, so I feel comfortable with where the church is leaning in that situation,” he said.

Began in 1957

The United Church of Christ came into being in 1957 when the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches joined. Those denominations, in turn, were rooted in earlier traditions, most noticeably the Congregational Church, which descended from the Puritans and Pilgrims of 17th century New England.

In the early 1970s, the UCC became the first major Christian church to ordain an openly gay minister. It declared itself to be “open and affirming” of homosexuals two decades ago.

Riedel serves as a “Web deacon,” answering e-mails to the UCC Internet site.

In the 10 days after the resolution, he answered about 15 e-mails, most from people angry about the decision.

A few churches have suffered in the aftermath. Graffiti on a UCC church in Virginia, also damaged by fire, called members sinners. Riedel said an Urbandale, Iowa, church was vandalized with a truckload of rabbit manure.

Miller supervises 92 UCC churches in South Dakota with a membership of about 13,000 people. He only has heard from one individual each in six separate churches; not all responses were negative.

The South Dakota UCC conference, which met earlier this summer, did not discuss the issue, Miller said.

The Southern California-Nevada Conference submitted the original resolution at General Synod. Miller thinks it would not have passed without changes acknowledging dissenting views. The final resolution received about 80 percent of the votes.

Start a dialogue

On July 10, the first Sunday after the resolution passed, the Rev. Jean Morrow addressed the topic at Crestwood United Church of Christ. She supports the resolution, calling it a civil-rights issue, but Morrow knows not everyone in her congregation feels that way.

“A couple of people approached me after worship to remind me that not everyone in our congregation is where I am,” Morrow said.

“We need to keep the conversation going. Through dialogue, debate, disagreement, we commit to loving one another.”

To have a mainline Protestant denomination take the action it did will raise the level of conversation in and out of the church, among members and nonmembers, Morrow said.

The Rev. Kathryn Timpany of First Congregational Church will organize formal conversations to talk about marriage in general, as urged by the resolution. She said she has had people on both sides approach her.

“It’s a leadership issue for me,” Timpany said. “How do we continue to listen to one another respectfully across the divide and not push apart?”

Some members of her congregation have faced the disapproval of friends and have asked her how to deal with that, she said.

Timpany knows some UCC members probably will leave the church over the issue. But the history of the Christian church has been one of continually dividing and reuniting, she said.

“There is nothing static about the faith, from my point of view,” she said. At the same time, “for all of us, this is emotionally difficult, and we should be tender with one another as we continue to discern God’s will for us.”

Change of heart

Meyers said those who voted at General Synod were respectful of the other side, although a delegation that opposed the resolution left and didn’t return for later votes.

Since her return, she’s only heard one negative remark, when someone standing near her in church made a comment under their breath.

Meyers understands the reluctance to accept same-gender marriage, since she once felt it, too.

“I haven’t been for gay marriage – only about the last year and a half,” said Meyers, an office manager in Sioux Falls.

It was her service on the UCC executive council, where she became friends with people whose backgrounds differed from her own, that first made her prayerfully consider the issue, she said.

And yes, that is indeed the church I attend in the photo.

Well, we have the United Church of Canada, which began as a federation of a bunch of smaller protestant denominations. They are one of the more mainstream churches in Canada, second largest protestant denomination after Anglican (C of E).

They are very liberal, and not only supported same-sex marriage in Canada but active lobbied it, it was one of their ministers who brought on teh initial court challenge.

My guess is that this article refers to the American equivalent, though I don't think the two are affiliated depsite the similarity in names and continent.

The article refers to the church's history. Interesting that the Puritans are in the church's past.

Finally a church that took steps in the right direction. I hope other follow.

good.

I have desaired of church officials in general; occasional exceptions make me feel not all is lost though :D

*Respect* a church of Christ which actually follows him :goodjob:

The Last Conformist said:
United Church of Christ? What sort are those?
It seems that they are a sort of Christians who don't attempt to pick and chose from the Old Testament to qualify what Christ said in the New.

I've never heared of the United Church of Christ before.

I'm not really sure where endorsing marriages (either homo or hetero) can be found in the Gospels or anywhere else in the Bible, but once you do so, as a church, it seems fair not to discriminate on sexual inclination.

On another note, this church's buildings have fallen to arson a few times in the last few weeks in the south (maybe it was south carolina?), and people have painted "GOD HATES FAGS" on their walls.

My reaction towards the ruling is one of somewhat indifference. I think one can possinily not endorse the idea of gay marriage theologically without being outright discriminatory....but if they want to make that choice for their church, thats cool with me I guess

This is good news. Hopefully the rest of the US will follow. For now, they'll just have to go to Canada to get married.

A'AbarachAmadan said:
This is good news. Hopefully the rest of the US will follow. For now, they'll just have to go to Canada to get married.

That doesn't really help them much as their marriage still wouldn't be recognised in the US. They'd have to immigrate here to gain the benefits that come with marriage, otherwise, it's little more than a political statement.

MattBrown said:
On another note, this church's buildings have fallen to arson a few times in the last few weeks in the south (maybe it was south carolina?), and people have painted "GOD HATES FAGS" on their walls.

I doubt that God is a big fan of arsonists.

this could the beginning of the great falling away predicted in the New testament right before the tribulation begins and the anti-Christ comes on the scene. Daniel also hinted this ( probabyEuropean/American) political ruler would have no desire for women which could mean he/she will be a homosexual. So the great falling away of churches which leave Christ outside the church knocking to get in seems to be getting ready to accept the anti-christ with open arms.
The anti-christ at first will seems very rightous and will bring peace (false peace) and only reveals his true nature at the end. Anyone who oppose this great leader (yet without God) will be seened as fanatics, heretics and troublemakers. So the scriptures clearly predicted the apostasy of churches would also reject Christ just as the Jews in the first coming rejected their Messiah.
While it sad to see the apostasy I starting to wonder is this just beginning of thing to come.

Smidlee said:
So the great falling away of churches which leave Christ outside the church knocking to get in seems to be getting ready to accept the anti-christ with open arms.

You mean, churches getting more tolerant is a sign of the Apocalypse ? :confused: I thought being tolerant was one of the main message of Christ.

Smidlee said:
While it sad to see the apostasy I starting to wonder is this just beginning of thing to come.

The world will indeed end. In some 5 billions years ;)

Smidlee said:
The anti-christ at first will seems very rightous and will bring peace (false peace) and only reveals his true nature at the end. Anyone who oppose this great leader (yet without God) will be seened as fanatics, heretics and troublemakers. So the scriptures clearly predicted the apostasy of churches would also reject Christ just as the Jews in the first coming rejected their Messiah.
Bush is the anti Christ! :eek:

Smidlee said:
I promise that today is the beginning of things to come...tomorrow and the next day etc.

On a serious note Smidlee, what other signs are you looking for?

Let's get one thing straight.

This is not the first major denomination to endorse same sex marriage. Perhaps in the U.S it is.

I believe this is a step in the right direction

Smidlee said:
this could the beginning of the great falling away predicted in the New testament right before the tribulation begins and the anti-Christ comes on the scene. Daniel also hinted this ( probabyEuropean/American) political ruler would have no desire for women which could mean he/she will be a homosexual. So the great falling away of churches which leave Christ outside the church knocking to get in seems to be getting ready to accept the anti-christ with open arms.

let me guess the anti-christ is going to be a 30 year old gay man that says fabulous a lot :lol:

Top Bottom