[GS] What adds value to trade routes?

TheyMadeMeDoThis

Chieftain
Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is a comprehensive list of all the standard variables (i.e. buildings, civics etc, not UA like Peter's or Jadwiga's) that add gold, food, production, faith, culture, science to your trade routes.

I'm sure someone has put together a comprehensive list, I just don't know where to guide you. To help you out in the meantime if you go to the civopedia and check each type of district it tells you what it 'adds' to each trade route. Will give you a good idea until you find the list.

You can check the wiki to read about how trading benefits are determined. It might not be 100% comprehensive, but it's a good place to start.

Basically, the bulk of the yields come from districts in the destination city, and then bonuses from policies and city-states for example are added on top.

A district adds +1 food or production for internal trade routes and +1 of its type for international trade routes. So a Holy Site gives +1 food for internal and +1 faith for international.

Other than that if it's not a unique effect it's mostly policy cards (like +1 science/culture for international routes) or city state effects like Kumasi (+2 culture and +1 gold for every specialty district in origin city).

If you're looking for YOUR trade routes and not a guide what to build to maximise TR output to a City in your empire I suggest to use "better trade routes screen" mod. Its essential to me and I couldn't play without (seriously I tried).

There is also extra gold for each railroad tile the trader pass by, for passing by water, for each trade post it goes through, and for (every?) tunnel.

There is also extra gold for each railroad tile the trader pass by, for passing by water, for each trade post it goes through, and for (every?) tunnel.
Because the OP just made his first post and sounds like he's relatively new to civ6, I will clarify this statement.

When you make a trade route, there is going to be a "base value" (essentially what comes from districts) and then other bonuses (from cards, great people effects, wonders, etc.) For international routes only, there is what's called a trade route efficiency mechanic that can increase the base gold value of the route. The way it works is, the different tiles and features along the trade all have a number of efficiency points associated with them; the total points for the route is divided by the length of the route itself. That ratio determines the bonus, which ranges from 0 to +100% of the base gold value.

Land tiles by default all have a score of 1. Since each tile adds 1 length to the trade route, you will never beat the minimum ratio of 1:1.
Water tiles by default have a score of 2. This means that having more water tiles in your route increases the ratio! The +100% bonus point comes at an efficiency_score:route_length ratio of ~ 1.6:1.
Railroads also have a score of 2. So upgrading your roads to railroads in the industrial era with Military engineers can boost both your unit movement and your trade routes - but only the gold on international routes.
Going through a mountain tunnel adds +15 efficiency score. This means that if your trade route is ~9 tiles or so, traversing a single mountain tunnel will give a land route the full bonus.
Note: yes, this applies to the Incan unique Qhapac Nan mountain tunnel, so they can get some nice bonuses very early.

Because the OP just made his first post and sounds like he's relatively new to civ6, I will clarify this statement.

That stings, I've put 400 hours into this game.... :D:D:D:D:D:D Then again I was still learning new things after more than 1500 hours in civ 5... Oh well... :D:D:D:D:D

I'm looking for ways to maximise the gain from internal trade routes: I'd like to see just how tall I can grow my empire, and I had never really paid much attention to internal trade routes before (I just love me that gold too much).

Thank you all for your answers, but what I am looking for is a nice cheat sheet with all the things that contribute to an internal trade route's food and production would have been nice but I guess I'll make one myself!

That stings, I've put 400 hours into this game.... :D:D:D:D:D:D Then again I was still learning new things after more than 1500 hours in civ 5... Oh well... :D:D:D:D:D

I'm looking for ways to maximise the gain from internal trade routes: I'd like to see just how tall I can grow my empire, and I had never really paid much attention to internal trade routes before (I just love me that gold too much).

Thank you all for your answers, but what I am looking for is a nice cheat sheet with all the things that contribute to an internal trade route's food and production would have been nice but I guess I'll make one myself!

Play the Inca.

That stings, I've put 400 hours into this game.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Whoops!

'm looking for ways to maximise the gain from internal trade routes: I'd like to see just how tall I can grow my empire, and I had never really paid much attention to internal trade routes before (I just love me that gold too much).

upload_2019-7-2_9-49-46.png

If you only care about food and hammers,
Ecommerce card and Collectivization card boost all internal route food/prod.
And the Cree and Incan abilities.

I'd like to see just how tall I can grow my empire
I played a game the other day getting 10 cities to size 30. the fact that it is the Incans makes a small difference. I used the Khmer and pushed housing big time through religion as well as cards and classic republic legacy. The real jump came with Neighbourhoods and food courts, replaceable parts were nice... but the real saver of my game was fisheries. You need to be up at 30-40 surplus food to keep a decent speed up.

the big surprise in the game was how I kept up with science due to my pop size.

Last edited:
Top Bottom