What are the best value purchases you’ve made in life?

Getting a bidet for your toilet will revolutionize your hygiene and vastly improve your experience going to the washroom, especially if you have digestive health problems.

You will become a Jehovah's Witness about it though, and proselytize at every home you enter from that point on.

A simple one is less than $60 and relatively simple to install. It is cold and unusual at first, but you adapt very quickly.

Changing from dry-shave to wet-shave to no-shave was a pretty good decision. Can't put a value on that.
My gym membership also has paid off immensly.

Otherwise I'm just too lazy to buy new things, I have a 5 years old smartphone and a 10 years old PC, which definitely were also worth their value.

EDIT: A cherry pit pillow for my messed up muscles (from the gym, mostly, but that doesn't affect the judgement above). Very useful for cold feet too.

Bought a new bed that cost $2000 for $80.

A forklifts damaged the outer backing and left a marl on the fabric. Went to staff sales and we bought it.

Fabric wasn't ripped or anything and mark from the forklifts vacuumed off.

Comfy bed nice improved sleep priceless.

Movie tickets for my first date with my now wife. I do not recall the movie.

I bought Civ III in a bargain bin for $5. Prior to that I'd only played Fantasy RPGs, but the back of the Civ box looked a little bit interesting, and at worst I'm only out 5 bucks. Had fun playing that for umpteen million hours. (and of course also led to umpteen million hours of playing Civ V--though I paid for that separately and at full cost--and umpteen million hours of fun posting of Civfanatics).

Prior to that, the $20 bucks I paid for Morrowind in a bargain bin. Had fun playing that for umpteen million hours.

But umpteen million hours of fun for $5 > umpteen million hours of fun for $20. So Civ wins.

I bought a fake sheep rug for like $10 to put beside/under my bed. I have hard floors so being able to put my computer and phone down safely and lazily at night has been quite nice.

A passport. I can't remember how much I paid for it, originally. They're about $120 in the U.S. now, and I would definitely recommend it at that price. Get one while you don't need it yet, because it takes a while (even longer in the U.S. now, what with Trump and the pandemic f'ing up the State Dept). If you're already planning a trip abroad and don't have your passport yet, you're already up against the clock and might have to pay extra to get it expedited. In the U.S. do pay the extra to get the little wallet-sized card, which serves as a Federal ID. I have to get mine renewed, it expired a few years ago. Come to think of that, get it renewed well before it expires. I heard through the grapevine of someone having their passport rejected as they were boarding a plane, because it was less than 60 days before its expiration. I'm unable to verify that story, but do you want to be the person who finds out the hard way? Even if it was just some donkey of a boarding agent overstepping their authority, what are you gonna do, call your Representative/MP while you're in line at the security gate?

Yeti travel mug. $30, I think. I have two, one at the office and one at home. Effectively contains spills on the off chance I knock it over, enough that I'm confident having it sitting right next to my keyboard. Pretty sturdy, too. I've dropped it onto a concrete sidewalk from a standing height, and it didn't crack or chip or anything. The little sliding piece that covers the drinking hole flew off, and I thought, "well, f***", but it turns out that it's magnetic and you can just pop it back on (being able to remove it easily makes it easier to clean around the spout, too).

Propet ankle boots. $70-$80, I think? That was years ago, and I only just wore them out. I may get another pair. They wear like shoes, but they're warm and waterproof. Great for winters in the city. You would think the ankle-height is too short, that you'd get slush and cold water slopping in over the top, but I really didn't. Once in a while, I did have to dodge around one of those pond-sized puddles that I'd just walk through with regular boots, but again, not as frequently as I would have thought. You might still want proper, tall snow boots for the day or two after it snows, but I find the ankle boots much more comfortable. Also, it's true for all shoes, imo, but doubly-so for Winter boots: Don't buy online and don't buy cheap. Go to a shoe store, try on some pairs, pay the money for good ones that fit well. Even if you live in a warm-weather climate and only occasionally visit the frozen borderland outposts of civilization like New York City, Copenhagen, or Toronto in Winter, a good pair of boots could last 15 years.

Soundbot SB221 wireless bluetooth headset. $28. I bought them a year-and-a-half ago, I use them 6 hours every day, and they're only just showing signs of wear around the folding joints. I hate earbuds, for the feel and the sound quality (you can tell audiophiles by the fact that they don't use earbuds, they use proper headphones). These have pretty decent bass, and I like the behind-the-neck design more than the over-the-top design. The battery far outlasts the battery in my phone; I've never seen the battery charge get below 80%. They fold up into a pocket of my shoulder-bag. The only complaint I have is that the bluetooth gets a little spotty when I'm walking through a big, open area like a park, but I'm not sure that wouldn't happen with any wireless headset.

Last edited:
At risk of sounding really bourgie, I'd have to say "our house", which we bought as a new-build in 2008. It had been used as the no-frills show-house for a block of eight, so it was the last one to be sold, and relatively cheap — even after adding on the costs for a fitted kitchen and solar water-heating.

With our pooled savings, plus an unexpectedly substantial bequest from my maternal grandmother (she'd passed away, aged 95, about a year earlier), we didn't need a large mortgage, and we'd finished paying everything off within 10 years — around the same time that Hamburg's commuter-belt expanded into the local real-estate market, and property in our town started getting silly.

(Just as an example, about 5[?] years, back, the old couple at the other end of our row sold their house — same external design, but a bit more private because it's at the far end of the common-access path — for nearly three times what we'd paid for ours)

It's not that we'd decided to buy as an investment as such — when we sell, we'll probably struggle to buy a granny-flat for the same price in this area! — but continuing to pay >500 Euros a month in rent (for the tiny 2-room apartment we'd lived in for the previous 18 months), when we could be putting that money into property of our own instead, never made much sense to me.

And taxes and utilities aside, owning a fully paid-off house (with a very low gas-bill!) does relieve us of any major anxieties regarding accommodation- and/or job-loss in the near-future.

I bought Civ III in a bargain bin for $5. Prior to that I'd only played Fantasy RPGs, but the back of the Civ box looked a little bit interesting, and at worst I'm only out 5 bucks. Had fun playing that for umpteen million hours. (and of course also led to umpteen million hours of playing Civ V--though I paid for that separately and at full cost--and umpteen million hours of fun posting of Civfanatics).

Prior to that, the $20 bucks I paid for Morrowind in a bargain bin. Had fun playing that for umpteen million hours.

But umpteen million hours of fun for $5 > umpteen million hours of fun for $20. So Civ wins.
If we're including games, naturally I'd have to say Civ II: Test of Time. I bought it at a local game store, and don't remember how much I paid. But I got the manual and a gorgeous double-sided tech tree wall poster (I got it laminated).

Other game stuff? Well, I noticed a computer game based on The Count of Monte Cristo, for less than $2 at Big Fish Games. I've finally got an unabridged copy of the novel, which I will read some day.

Oh, and of course King's Heir: Rise to the Throne. I've had it for 4 years, played it more times than I can remember, and have been writing about it for 4 years (just thought up yet another side plot tonight for NaNoWriMo...). This game has prompted a humongous amount of research on a wide variety of things, from medieval torture methods, to musical instruments, to the history of the stirrup, I watched a wonderful 3-hour documentary on the Plantagenet kings on YT the other day, and am about to research the climate of the British Isles and the Gulf Stream. Yes, I really do need to know this stuff.

Mechanical Keyboard they are cheap nowdays and upgrade from a mid-priced keyboard
A nice Townhouse
Cheap planter pots, hoping for a good harvest this year
Toyota Coralla Automatic. upgraded from a Coralla manual
A 52 inch LCD TV, we waited until it was around $800, with 5 star energy rating.
Old second hand washing machine, still going strong after 15 years

I wished I had know that grass cuttings make for good potting soil. Would have saved me a bunch of money from buying bags of Soil
Seen on youtube that people reported huge sized sweet potatoes from them as they retain water a lot better then soil.
Going to be planting 20 pots this year. We got 5 varieties growing

Roller skates.

After signing my kids up for Kids Skate Free at the local rink, I learned to roller skate (at 45). After skating for about six months, my knees stopped hurting, allowing me to run again. Now I exercise regularly (mostly skating) instead of just sitting around, and I've kept exercising pretty regularly for 10 years. My knees are still doing just fine, too.

My first pair of skates was free at a rummage sale, the second was $6 at Goodwill, the third was $8 in a terrific rink skate sale. Then they got more expensive - $100 for speed skates and then $300 for a fancy pair of slalom skates. I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of every single pair.

A magnifying glass.
Not every kid has one, which might not be obvious until you've seen it in print. But it's true. On a total whim, I bought a friend's kid a magnifying glass for her birthday, not really thinking much of it.
There are a thousand uses for a magnifying glass. I can't think of more than a small fraction of them. But, apparently, they have a thousand uses. I got thanked a year later for the gift by her. It's really been my goto since as a gift for young kids, and it nearly always works out. Apparently, not everyone has realized that not all kids have one.

A magnifying glass.
Not every kid has one, which might not be obvious until you've seen it in print. But it's true. On a total whim, I bought a friend's kid a magnifying glass for her birthday, not really thinking much of it.
There are a thousand uses for a magnifying glass. I can't think of more than a small fraction of them. But, apparently, they have a thousand uses. I got thanked a year later for the gift by her. It's really been my goto since as a gift for young kids, and it nearly always works out. Apparently, not everyone has realized that not all kids have one.
Curious about this. I've maybe touched a magnifying glass once in my life and the novelty wore off after about fifteen seconds.

Curious about this. I've maybe touched a magnifying glass once in my life and the novelty wore off after about fifteen seconds.
eh, they become more useful when you get older and don't want to admit that you need glasses

eh, they become more useful when you get older and don't want to admit that you need glasses
Yep. Before I found inexpensive reading glasses (the non-prescription kind), I needed a magnifying glass to see anything printed. People gave me weird looks, I explained my vision problem, and if they still had a problem, too bad.

Interesting! Like I said, it's been probably my most successful gift for kids. There's probably some confirmation bias on my part, and probably some selection bias on who I give them to.

Mine carries his around some days. I actually know where it is at the moment, if I think about it.

Same here. Like it was like "oh... it makes small things look slightly larger." <deadpan bored face>

Top Bottom