What If Gore Had Won?

There'd be less. Gore would most likely have raised taxes with spending.

I think you make the false assumption that those taxes would have been used to reduce the debt. Or that those raised taxes wouldnt have hurt the economy and moved us earlier into recession.

History shows us that reducing taxes tends to generate more tax revenue via more growth in the GDP. Tax and spend isnt going to reduce the debt.

Or that those raised taxes wouldnt have hurt the economy and moved us earlier into recession.
I never made such a claim. I would agree with your assessment that it would have hurt the economy but Gore campaigned on keeping the budget balanced, and he'd have raised taxes to meet that. Plus, you'd have a republican legislature, so most of Gore's spending projects wouldn't go through.
History shows us that reducing taxes tends to generate more tax revenue via more growth in the GDP.
In the long term. That's one question, are we assuming Gore gets eight years here?

I never made such a claim. I would agree with your assessment that it would have hurt the economy but Gore campaigned on keeping the budget balanced, and he'd have raised taxes to meet that. Plus, you'd have a republican legislature, so most of Gore's spending projects wouldn't go through.

Well, if your prediction that Gore being elected would secure a republican congress then Gore would probably be unable to raise taxes either.

You also assume a lot in thinking Gore would keep campaign promises.

Seems then that the only real benefit to having Gore in office would be to offset the Republican congress. Is that your premise?

In the long term. That's one question, are we assuming Gore gets eight years here?

No idea, but thats the impression I got from the thread. He could well have been a 4 and out guy like Carter...

I think I'd start from, "What would Gore have done differently than Bush, in reaction to the USS Cole bombing?"

I think 9/11 would still have been attempted regardless.

If Al Gore had won:

He wouldnt be as rich as he is today.

Our nations debt would be larger than it currently is.

Our taxes would have been higher for the last decade.

The recession would have started earlier and lasted longer.
Pics n sources, or it did not happen.

You also forgot to add the following:

Gore ends pollution.

Gore ends global warming.

Gore feeds the world.

Gore ends crime.

Gore overthrows our evil alien overlords.

Gore controls the weather.

Gore conquers the galaxy.

Gore conquers universe.

Etc. etc. :lol:

Al Gore could be the next Chuck Norris meme :p

No idea, but thats the impression I got from the thread. He could well have been a 4 and out guy like Carter...

Now I don't claim to be an expert in the field, but I seem to remember that on past occasions when the VP of the previous president has run and won the election, he usually does turn into a one-term guy? Let's see...

(looks through list of US Presidents).

Sooo.... it seems that historically, unless you're Thomas Jefferson, your chances of getting two full terms as President after first serving as VP are slim to none. And no man now living is Thomas Jefferson.

Did I overlook anything?

Pics n sources, or it did not happen.

You know, just when you think you have seen it all, then someone asks you for 'pics and sources' in a thread discussing hypotheticals. :crazyeye:

Now I don't claim to be an expert in the field, but I seem to remember that on past occasions when the VP of the previous president has run and won the election, he usually does turn into a one-term guy? Let's see...

(looks through list of US Presidents).

Sooo.... it seems that historically, unless you're Thomas Jefferson, your chances of getting two full terms as President after first serving as VP are slim to none. And no man now living is Thomas Jefferson.

Did I overlook anything?

You mean Al Gore isnt a modern Thomas Jefferson? Blasphemer! :(

You know, just when you think you have seen it all, then someone asks you for 'pics and sources' in a thread discussing hypotheticals. :crazyeye:

Mission to confus MobBoss...

;)

People in here seem to take the newsweek article too literally. Of course predicting the future is like.... predicting the future, total nonsense. But it's an interesting text and I would appreciate if one could discuss the points made in there (as allegoric as they may be) instead of trying to better than the journalist and guess the alternative reality more correctly... (It's futile).

The Text as stated takes up all the known names, is it really that oligarchic? The Main point seems to be that some things would have been better (although the assumptions do seem to be a bit blue-eyed), but they created a hilarious debacle and scandal around liebermann, and he really did jump sides, didn't he? The last point interesting for me seems to be that the patriot act would have been a disgrace (turn-down) for the President if it hadn't been for 9/11. (This is a really strong statement, and probably true)

So, after all, the text is mainly a "payoff" (?) With George Bush. (and to be fair, he really deserves it)

Top Bottom