What is your "ideal" constitution?

João III

King
Fairly straightforward topic, what is your "ideal"* constitution? If you had the opportunity to write (or re-write) a constitution, what would you like to have in it (or out of it), such as system of government or guaranteed rights? Personally, I reject the authority of the state.

*"Ideal" is open to interpretation.

I don't think one is need we don't have a formal one.

BUT if we had a bad faith actor we're in trouble.

Whatever it is you probably want one that can be changed with a supermajority (2/3rds/ 66%) guaranteeing an independent judiciary and electoral commission.

Electoral commission sets the rules around elections and district boundaries. Electoral boundaries also have to be fair.

And some sort of election system that's not first past the post. Failing that at least a better fptp.

Centralized government as well.

Something like NZ or Germany but more formal.

Probably some sort of media type rules like USA used to have.

TBH None is perfect but I love the mention in the American one - and namely "in pursuit of happiness" - this is one from the heart I think , everyone deserves o be happy ! When You're unhappy everything erlse just sucks - Down with King George whichever his inbred number was !! xD

Whenever and if-ever we are to colonize Mars and/or "dream-on" exoplanets the history is gonna repeat itself , we are gonna get free from earth's shackles figuratively and otherwise ;) Moguls better prepare so called "Earth's Expeditionary Force" before they try to colonize a new planet because we are gonna bring a Thor's Hammer on them before they can ever scream - this is ours !

TBH None is perfect but I love the mention in the American one - and namely "in pursuit of happiness" - this is one from the heart I think , everyone deserves o be happy ! When You're unhappy everything erlse just sucks - Down with King George whichever his inbred number was !! xD

Its the pursuit of happiness doesn't guarantee you'll find it.

It's more inspirational than anything else.

Timor Leste one has some fun stuff in it

Centralized government as well.

Something like NZ or Germany but more formal.

Germany is a federation, ie not a centralised system.

Germany is a federation, ie not a centralised system.

I was referring to Germanys proportional system.

Centralized as we have seen a mess the USA has become and even your nations Covid response.

The government needs to be able to do its job is clear. Along with the ability to remove that government in free and fair elections.

Hence why I covered centralized state and safe electoral system that's not FptP.

When the shtf local leaders shouldn't be able to undermine central government. Their job should end at rubbish collection and keeping the water on.

California’s direct democracy is a start and should be expanded upon.

California’s direct democracy is a start and should be expanded upon.

Not really they're bankrupting the state and green lit all the water allocation which seems insane.

Not really they're bankrupting the state and green lit all the water allocation which seems insane.
Zardnaar when you don't know something, don't say anything.

Abolish the monarchy (or at least bicycle them to cut out the hangers on)
Make the UK a federal state. The right to hold an independence referendum would be held by the constituent parts, not the centre. As much power as possible devolved to local bodies. National government mainly to handle defence, foreign affairs, some aspects of economy, transport, energy,
Reform the voting system to be more proportional whilst retaining an element of local representation
Disestablish the Anglican Church
Establish proper parliamentary and judicial oversight of the police, security and intelligence services

That will do for a start. Then we can start dealing with the problems my solutions will have caused

Timor Leste one has some fun stuff in it
Which bits do you like? I am not going to read it all, but the explicit support of terrorism is a refreshing change:

The struggle waged against the enemy, initially under the leadership of FRETILIN, gave way to more comprehensive forms of political participation, particularly in the wake of the establishment of the National Council of the Maubere Resistance (CNRM) in 1987 and the National Council of Timorese Resistance (CNRT) in 1998.

The Resistance was divided into three fronts.

The armed front was carried out by the glorious Forças Armadas de Libertação Nacional de Timor-Leste (FALINTIL) whose historical undertaking is to be praised.

The action of the clandestine front, astutely unleashed in hostile territory, involved the sacrifice of thousands of lives of women and men, especially the youth, who fought with abnegation for freedom and independence.

The diplomatic front, harmoniously carried out all over the world, enabled the paving of the way for definitive liberation.​

Don't really see the point of constitutions. We've not got one here, and while I won't say things are going well, we're no worse off than places with them.

Don't really see the point of constitutions. We've not got one here, and while I won't say things are going well, we're no worse off than places with them.
I used to quite like the idea of an "unwritten constitution", but then BoJo came along and showed how easy it was to do obviously wrong things and now I really think we should have one.

When your system of government relies on "decent" men observing the bounds of custom and dignity, it's really easy for someone with no morals to abuse the system.

I used to quite like the idea of an "unwritten constitution", but then BoJo came along and showed how easy it was to do obviously wrong things and now I really think we should have one.

The US has a written constitution. I'm not seeing how it's helping them avoid pretty much the same....

When your system of government relies on "decent" men observing the bounds of custom and dignity, it's really easy for someone with no morals to abuse the system.

Yup unfortunately constitutions don't prevent that either.

It's why I said that you need a clean, free and fair electoral system. That way if someone legit wins an election they might pass laws you don't like.

And I'm not a fan of decentalized states either it just means the constituent parts can gum up the works.

Only if you have areas of distinct ethnic groups in nation states should you have local levels of government.

Covid responses come to mind local government essentially wrecked USA and Australia for example.

The US has a written constitution. I'm not seeing how it's helping them avoid pretty much the same....

There's pros and cons. Americans need to realize the constitution is now your bare minimum rights.

There's no such thing as fundamental human rights. You can believe that and express that but what government give government can take away.

Or you just subvert the constitution in various ways not just USA.

Ultimately it's a cultural thing which ties back to trust in government.

Top Bottom