What Sin Are You Most Guilty Of?

All except for wrath and envy

Envy and Pride for me by far.

I'm extremely vain and it gets to the point where I'm quite obsessive about my appearance. Particularly my hair and skin. I use the screen of my mobile phone as a mirror when there are no other reflective surfaces in range, for example and I don't even bother to hide it from my friends anymore.

After that, I can be quite lazy sometimes so I guess sloth comes into it somewhere. But Envy and Pride are the big ones.

murder.

Pride and greed.

In order of um... seriousness :dunno:: Sloth, lust, wrath...

Being extremely lazy and lustful, but not being able to satisfy my lust due to sloth I get pissed, hence wrath...

It's sooo freaking hot that at the moment my sloth is reaching new heights. I mean WTF, I live in Finland for Thor's sake. You would think that living in a Nordic country would have at least some benefits (like NOT BEING SO DAMN HOT :mad:), but no.

Sloth, cause I lounge around a lot, like Hedonismbot.

This. Pretty much the same.

My sloth cancels out the rest of my sins.

And this.

1. Sloth. I'm supposed to be working right now, but am poking around CFC. :p
2. Lust. 20 year old human male, Lust has to be up near the top there if you are anything near normal.
3. Wrath. Kinda get angry over stupid things a lot. I don't go randomly break things because I'm angry though. Only time that ever happened within the last decade or so was me throwing around 20 or 30 M&Ms at a brick wall. :p (I cleaned up afterwards)
4. Pride. Eh, it's been knocked down a peg after going to college, but it never got in the way of my decision making.
5. Greed. I am easily satisfied, so I'm not greedy. Though, if I sit there long enough debating, I might take more than reasonable simply with the "I can save it for later" concept.
6. Envy. So long as you don't rub it in my face, I don't care.
7. Gluttony. I don't like excessive overindulgence in stuff.

Pride and sloth. I am lazy, but self-assured.

Pretty much none of these Christian cardinal sins except a bit of Sloth - lack of faith would be the one that most major religions take more realistic offense to though :)

Lust is a deadly sin....? Isn't procreation like...the opposite of deadly?

STD's? But than again, wearing condoms is a sin...

Catholic - If you're having fun, you're doing it wrong.

If we're going to define sins as "urges that result in actions that result in me doing things that I shouldn't be doing", then it's definitely either sloth or gluttony. Especially if you calculate in opportunity cost; there're people dying agonising deaths every minute, for easily preventable reasons, and I really should be working on helping solve those problems. But, some evenings, I watch TV instead.

If it was my own kid that was about to die due to starvation-induced disease, I'd be working harder to find a solution. The fact that I'm not, just because it's someone else's kid, is a sin. Truly.

You are committing the sin of pride, my son :please: ... you are assuming that the solution of the world's problems rests on you... /ENDPREACH

No, seriously, there is no sin in relaxing sometimes! First, because you need phases of relaxation to stay productive. Second, if we're not being in agnostic mode here, I'll remind you that even God rested on the 7th day..:D
Third: All work and no play makes El_machinae a dull boy.. :D

You are committing the sin of pride, my son :please: ... you are assuming that the solution of the world's problems rests on you... /ENDPREACH

No, seriously, there is no sin in relaxing sometimes! First, because you need phases of relaxation to stay productive. Second, if we're not being in agnostic mode here, I'll remind you that even God rested on the 7th day..:D
Third: All work and no play makes El_machinae a dull boy.. :D

Oh, I know that we need to recharge. Obviously recharging is required. But I'm pretty sure that I spend more time 'relaxing' than I need to. And I spend more money 'relaxing' than I need to, too.

And I'm not being prideful, I'm pretty sure. It's a simple fact that not enough is being done. When not enough is being done, then it's required that someone do something.

I'd have to disagree with that. There's only so much you can do before you start taking away from your kids to help someone else's.

Yes, that's true. That's a different discussion. I don't know how we could say it's moral to buy our kid a $12 music CD if our other kid was starving to death, if our neighbour's kid was starving to death, either. No. We'd spend that $12 on some food, our kid doesn't need the CD that much. It's only because I've got 4 degrees of separation that the horror is diminished to the point where people justify my behaviour if I spend money on luxuries for my kids.

But that's not what I'm getting at. I'm getting at the slothful slowing down on my own part. The overconsumption on my own part. It's impossible to deny that (a) I know that I'm doing it (b) that I know better and (c) there are real-world victims of this behaviour.

Excessive levels of awesomeness. It's a burden I have to live with.

So, Pride. :p

Pride and sloth. I am lazy, but self-assured.

Well... you have to have some self-esteem before you can actually begin to justify it!

I think.

Pretty much none of these Christian cardinal sins except a bit of Sloth - lack of faith would be the one that most major religions take more realistic offense to though :)

Well, Sloth is also meant to cover a lack of love given to God. Contrast with Pride, where you give so much love to yourself none is left over for God, or others for that matter.

Compare/contrast sex solely for procreation(perfectly moral in the view of the Sins) to sex for pleasure, or worse, rape.

Sloth. It's hard to get around at my age.

Tell me about it...

There should be an eighth sin - fear.

That MIGHT qualify as Sloth. Maybe not so much in the sense of being "too lazy to be brave," but Sloth evolved out of other sins; if I recall, one was sorrow/despair. So Sloth could very well cover another negative emotion.

Fear is also more unconscious, making it more in line with Sloth, which itself is characterised by lack of action rather than action.

Different lists exists, the 7 is just the most common; other sins commonly listed are Blasphemy and Treachery. What's covered by each sin varies on who publishes the list.

Edit: just remembered that the whole "religion" thing is based on fear...

... ohhhh boy. You just had to open that can of worms. :p

Alternatively, it's based off a desire to be right; a desire to have a deity to back up your moral worldview. Pride maybe?

Top Bottom