What TV Shows Are You Watching? Series VI - Programmes of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started Squid Game, was hard to connect to the characters at first & the first few episodes felt a little slow despite the gruesome violence. Episode four really pulled me in though & now I'm looking forward to finishing.

What a fantastic show.
The invisible hand of syndication's resulted in Star Trek: TNG airing last year, so hopefully Voyager and DS9 will do so as well.

DS9 best Trek imho. Not a trekkie though. It's the most consistent with the gest characters and probably the best captain.
Agreed (and I rate ST very low in the grand scheme!)
Also, the way Robinson played Garak in his interactions with Bashir was brilliant. As close
to a gay relationship as the show runners would allow at that time.

Agreed (and I rate ST very low in the grand scheme!)
Also, the way Robinson played Garak in his interactions with Bashir was brilliant. As close
to a gay relationship as the show runners would allow at that time.

Watched it last year in Netflix.

I haven't had an issue with Foundation's characters so far. They are vehicles for big-picture plot. Stop expecting Grey's Anatomy–type interpersonal dramatics. :p
LOL. Way to extend it to a ridiculous extreme.:crazyeye:
I said a light touch was needed - not more Americans shouting about their feelings.

Watched Loki over a week. Absolutely loved it! The opening with Loki removed of his powers, and dragged along via bureaucracy were hilarious. Is there going to be a Season 2, or is it a launch for the next series of films?

The story that I remember with the greatest characterisation for Susan Calvin was that one where she got to raise a robot as a baby. It was, in the grand scheme of things, barely a footnote.

We're discussing characterization in the terms of a number of short SF stories, not a Dostoevsky novel.
In the space allowed by just over ten apparitions, we learn just enough of what we need to know about her icy aloofness, thinly veiled misanthropy and fascination with machines. At one point she has a crush on a colleague who doesn't even consider the possibility.
To show the difference within the Robot stories, before Calvin there were Powell and Donovan: they were fun, but indistinguishable from each other. Once Asimov chose Calvin as the anchor of the series, they guest-starred a couple of times.

As an aside @Sofista I consider (your current avatar, for posterity) Gul Dukat one of the greatest villains I have ever seen in any show or film. His character arc is just beyond belief in how good it was, just... genius.

And this is in a show that was bursting at the seams with spectacular villains, Kai Winn, Intendant Kira, The Jem'Hadar, Weyoun, Gul Damar, Liquidator Brunt, Eddington, the "female" Changeling, Evil (mirror) Sisko... on and on and on... just fantastic, episode after episode...

And that's putting aside all the anti-heroes/complex characters like Quark, career criminal, Sisko, with all his war crimes, Garak, ruthless assassin, The Prophets... on and on and on...

What a fantastic show.

I agree completely. Well, Garak had already been taken by @Hydro, but Dukat is a great demonstration of a great arc for a villain in a series. He has motivations he acts upon, has to make sacrifices that change him not necessarily for the better, and ends fittingly but not made into a caricature.

And not just the villains. We've mentioned Sisko already, but retrospectively they managed to find years of storylines for Worf, who had already seven seasons of backstory behind. And Dr. Bashir's evolution, from starry eyed whiz kid to the operative he dreamed to be on holodeck.

I really should re-watch it. It would be the fourth time, but I'm sure I forgot enough stuff.

Started Squid Game, was hard to connect to the characters at first & the first few episodes felt a little slow despite the gruesome violence. Episode four really pulled me in though & now I'm looking forward to finishing.
Same. I haven't even made it through the first episode. I didn't even know what the show was about when I started watching it. I was expecting something like Circle (not to be confused with The Circle, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, which I haven't seen, or The Circle reality show, which I also haven't seen), but I ended up having a confused feeling of "Ohhh Kaaay... So, when are they gonna get on with it?:confused:", about halfway through the first episode. I watched it through the part where he meets slapping guy, and got about to where he actually goes to the arena, but that's where I stopped. I plan to go back and pick up there to see if I will continue watching, but I haven't got around to it yet.
The invisible hand of syndication's resulted in Star Trek: TNG airing last year, so hopefully Voyager and DS9 will do so as well.
Tak you silly dilly, all the Star Treks are on NETFLIX in their entirety (at least last time I checked) so you can rewatch any of them at your leisure... and I often do ;)
Agreed (and I rate ST very low in the grand scheme!) Also, the way Robinson played Garak in his interactions with Bashir was brilliant. As close to a gay relationship as the show runners would allow at that time.
I also liked Bashir's relationship with good ol' Chief Miles O'Brien. Much better than the lame sidekick relationship Harry had with Tom Paris in VOY. It was also refreshing to see Miles in a relationship with someone besides whiny annoying Keiko.

I haven't had an issue with Foundation's characters so far. They are vehicles for big-picture plot. Stop expecting Grey's Anatomy–type interpersonal dramatics. :p
Caught up to episode 5, and now I'm even more confused by the complaints about characterization. :lol: This was a great episode totally focused on characters!

Tak you silly dilly, all the Star Treks are on NETFLIX in their entirety (at least last time I checked) so you can rewatch any of them at your leisure... and I often do ;)
I do not have Netflix.

Why is it bad? I already miss out on some of the good stuff that comes on TV because there's not enough time to watch it.

Same. I haven't even made it through the first episode. I didn't even know what the show was about when I started watching it. I was expecting something like Circle (not to be confused with The Circle, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, which I haven't seen, or The Circle reality show, which I also haven't seen), but I ended up having a confused feeling of "Ohhh Kaaay... So, when are they gonna get on with it?:confused:", about halfway through the first episode. I watched it through the part where he meets slapping guy, and got about to where he actually goes to the arena, but that's where I stopped. I plan to go back and pick up there to see if I will continue watching, but I haven't got around to it yet. Tak you silly dilly, all the Star Treks are on NETFLIX in their entirety (at least last time I checked) so you can rewatch any of them at your leisure... and I often do ;) I also liked Bashir's relationship with good ol' Chief Miles O'Brien. Much better than the lame sidekick relationship Harry had with Tom Paris in VOY. It was also refreshing to see Miles in a relationship with someone besides whiny annoying Keiko.

The production value of the Squid Game is certainly far above that of the Circle. The plot... well... the plot in this type of show tends to be formulaic, but again it's not that close to the Circle. The Squid Game is - if anything - a real action adaptation of some gambling/debtor's hell manga.

The production value of the Squid Game is certainly far above that of the Circle. The plot... well... the plot in this type of show tends to be formulaic, but again it's not that close to the Circle. The Squid Game is - if anything - a real action adaptation of some gambling/debtor's hell manga.
Haven't seen it, but it reminds me of Battle Royale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)

Squid game is a ripoff of a Japanese movie from a while ago, apparently. I can't remember the name of that movie though.

I started watching the Polish show Sexify. It's interesting, with lots of nudity and "adult situations". The dubbing is not great, but so far it's got my attention.

You might think I'd watch a show like that in Polish, but.. eh, I want to experience this as somebody who speaks no Polish. If I'm satisfied with the show when it's all said and done I'll recommend it to my friends. I couldn't have done that if I watched it all in Polish

Squid game is a ripoff of a Japanese movie from a while ago, apparently. I can't remember the name of that movie though.

There's another show on Netflix, called "Alice in Borderland", which also does something very similar.

I started watching the Polish show Sexify. It's interesting, with lots of nudity and "adult situations". The dubbing is not great, but so far it's got my attention.

You might think I'd watch a show like that in Polish, but.. eh, I want to experience this as somebody who speaks no Polish. If I'm satisfied with the show when it's all said and done I'll recommend it to my friends. I couldn't have done that if I watched it all in Polish

Eh, the dubbing for this one is soso. I think content-wise it's okay, but the voice actors don't always manage the right emotions, IMHO.
The one season itself was okay, but I'd probably not watch a S2, if it happened.

First season of Chicago Med is incredible. 9.5/10.

Here's hoping the next seasons hold up. (I doubt it.)

It really ramps up! Watched it with my flatmates and we were desperate to finish it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom