What TV Shows Are You Watching? Series VI - Programmes of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, finally finished with Modern Family.

All of season 10 and the first half of season 11 were hot garbage, honestly. Pure caricature and going for low-hanging fruit. They really put in their best with making jokes about Alexa/Siri/Hey Google/etc and pronouns and anti-sexism. The actual lead-up and finale were alright, but jeez, they didn't make it easy to get there.

Gave up on Future Man. The second season was a mess and the first episode of the third season promised an even worse experience.

Burned through the fourth season of Atypical in a single day. It was decent, but I found the arc to be unbelievable, which made the finale kind of weak for me.

I am now (re)watching Manifest. I started up the pilot with the expectation that this was a new show for me, but I remember everything I've seen so far, so I'm guessing I saw this show long ago. It's just three seasons, so might as well...

I am now (re)watching Manifest. I started up the pilot with the expectation that this was a new show for me, but I remember everything I've seen so far, so I'm guessing I saw this show long ago. It's just three seasons, so might as well...
I tried watching Manifest when it premiered and it seemed like another of the many, many supernatural/sci-fi network mystery shows that proliferated like mushrooms after Lost and got canceled after 1 season. I watched the pilot, thought it was okay, but not enough to keep watching. Now here we are almost 3 years later and it's a huge hit on Netflix. Go figure. I could probably make a long list of shows I liked that got canceled prematurely, and probably a shorter list of shows that I was pleasantly surprised didn't get canceled. What the heck do I know? :lol:

I tried watching Manifest when it premiered and it seemed like another of the many, many supernatural/sci-fi network mystery shows that proliferated like mushrooms after Lost and got canceled after 1 season. I watched the pilot, thought it was okay, but not enough to keep watching. Now here we are almost 3 years later and it's a huge hit on Netflix. Go figure. I could probably make a long list of shows I liked that got canceled prematurely, and probably a shorter list of shows that I was pleasantly surprised didn't get canceled. What the heck do I know? :lol:
The Tomorrow People, The 4400...

The Tomorrow People, The 4400...
I've never seen The Tomorrow People but The 4400 was great. I seem to remember that it ended abruptly, but it had a good run. Fringe was another show that lasted longer than I expected. iirc, the boss at Fox TV at the time happened to be a fan, and refused to let it be canceled.

I watched the first ep of Sarah Shahi's Sex/Life. I couldn't connect with her character at all and was getting a little bored, but the final scene was intriguing. I may give the 2nd ep a try, just to see if it gets more engaging.
*looks up interested* Sarah Shahi has her own series?

*looks up interested* Sarah Shahi has her own series?
It's more soap opera than erotic drama, but if you keep your expectations low, it might be entertaining. I'd rather have had another 3-4 seasons of Life, but whatever... #stillbitter

Reading The Economist over lunch: It says that Netflix is now "the biggest commissioner of European scripted content, overtaking the BBC, France TV and Germany's ZDF." It doesn't specify whether 'biggest' means 'most number of shows/series' or 'the most money', but I presume it's the latter (could be both, of course).

Old british comedy show Bottom.
If you like that, have you seen The Young Ones? Kind of dated now, and they shout all the time, but similar style of comedy and I think much better than bottom.

If you like that, have you seen The Young Ones? Kind of dated now, and they shout all the time, but similar style of comedy and I think much better than bottom.

Yeah seen that. It's very dated though.

Watched the Young Ones 30 odd years ago.

Think I'll do season 1 of The New Statesman.

Yeah seen that. It's very dated though.

Watched the Young Ones 30 odd years ago.

Think I'll do season 1 of The New Statesman.
That is something I have not watched for a long time. I bet it will turn out to be pretty prophetic of tory malfeasance.

That is something I have not watched for a long time. I bet it will turn out to be pretty prophetic of tory malfeasance.

Rewatched a few years back.

season 1

Alan B'Stard more Thatcher than Thatcher.

Castlevania.

Spoiler :
I really hate what they did to Lenore, very lazy, after all the character build if you gotta put it to end, put more screen time, more effort, more reason. Smh.

Someone bothering me about it for months has convinced me to finally watch The Simpsons, a show I've taken from due to its impact on pop culture but have never actually bothered watching.

Thirty seasons? That's not going to happen. But I'll watch until I've had enough, and then I can say I "know what it is."

Only seen the first episode, the Christmas special, and the animation work is nightmare fuel. I'm watching this on the side with Manifest, so it'll be a slow, piecemeal process. The show might actually be the first where I'm okay skipping ahead; as far as I know, Simpsons doesn't have any story arcs or any real changes from season to season, so it's almost impossible for me to have "missed something."

Apparently there's a new version of Fantasy Island premiering later this month. I might try it, as it's on a non-Big Brother night.

Someone bothering me about it for months has convinced me to finally watch The Simpsons, a show I've taken from due to its impact on pop culture but have never actually bothered watching.

Thirty seasons? That's not going to happen. But I'll watch until I've had enough, and then I can say I "know what it is."
The first ten or so are where the good stuff is. Basically anything from when John Swartzwelder was involved.

Didn't you have moanin' Lisa as your avatar?

The Simpsons made good music. I recommend the album ‘The Simpsons sing the Blues’.

Just five? Oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom