What Video Games have you been playing #13 Now with CGA graphics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Sims 2: The time I set a bookstore cafe on fire.

Turns out that burning your customers decreases their loyalty.

Spoiler :

The cashier seems a little worried.

Spoiler :

Turns out customers burning to death also stink.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile customers keep coming in. It reminds me of this.

Spoiler :

The business owner resorts to desperate measures to put the fire out!

Spoiler :

Some people are really dedicated to their jobs.

Spoiler :

Aimee I cannot find another words ... I :love: You and You're the best !!!! :lol:

As long as you two can kiss and make up. :mischief:

Sure I can tough it up , Takh ?

@Takhisis is just want to have the honor of writing "I was in the Aimee's closet before it was cool" ! :lol:

I, uh, went to play one of the budget horse games I had installed. But I forgot that I'd previously been tampering with the installation files (specifically the subtitles were stored as plain-text). So all the characters and the tutorial part was just spouting out the Navy Seal copypasta over and over. :dunno:

I also accidentally named my character "Your name."

But it did come with this...poster making thing?

I can confirm this guy is playing impossible ! (XCOM -3 HP , Aliens +3 HP) , my favorite mission ! xD

I'm finally good at a Sim City game. I had Sim City 3000 way back in the day but I always stalled out (at best) around 25,000 citizens. The last game I started the other day in Sim City DS similarly stalled under 20,000 and I could not seem to get the city to grow. I ended up looking up a guide on city planning in this edition and it turns out I was building far too many roads and not placing amenities correctly. Armed with a template for a 'proper' city layout, I started a new game. After building the first two city blocks I unpaused the game and my population immediately shot up over 10,000! It has been a wild ride for sure.

After the initial blocks were built, I began expanding the city block by block until I ran into a problem - sprawl had pushed my city into the industrial zone. The industrial zone was initially set up a long ways away from the city center but eventually the city began to overtake it. I had a plan to relocate the industrial zone to the fringes of the map (where ~half of the pollution would disappear into the outside world) and then build more residential blocks in the reclaimed industrial land. The theory behind this was fine but the execution was botched in the extreme.

I built too aggressively into the decommissioned industrial zone and wound up with some seriously polluted districts. At first, the rollout of the new city blocks went great as there was a lot of pent up housing demand. At first unpausing, there was a massive amount of housing starts and my population jumped from 75,000 to over 80,000. However, as soon as the first new blocks were finished, housing density collapsed as people realized the new neighborhoods were trashy. I dropped below 75,000 people within a couple of months and urban flight took hold and neighboring districts also thinned out.

The pollution problem got so bad that I spawned a giant mutant gorilla that I had to use the defense forces to take down. He spawned three times and while the damage he created was minimal foot-print wise, he took down a lot of expensive amenities that exacerbated the urban flight problem. As if that wasn't enough, I had three back-to-back earthquakes that disrupted traffic patterns and took down some more high rises.

At this point, I was desperate to control the problem. I planted a ton of trees around the industrial zone and ripped out more industrial spaces, water towers and power plants in a desperate bid to fight pollution. Ripping out the buildings also afforded me a chance to fix my transportation grid with more efficient routing out to the new industrial zone on the edge of the map. Tearing up industrial spaces caused a small population crash as people lost their jobs but the population quickly bounced back through the opening of even more industrial zones on the city outskirts.

The population hovered around 80,000 for about ten years as all of this played out and I saved up money. When I finally had a decent nest egg, I put in two new housing tracts with lots of amenities in a new area on the periphery of the old city core. This goosed the population over 80,000 finally and also pushed demand to fill out the last few undeveloped commercial, industrial and residential districts around the city. With things under control, I put in two new housing districts and made sure to load them with amenities.

This was a turning point for the city and the population jumped to over 100,000. Once that threshold was reached, I was able to lower taxes with attracted another 30,000 residents. I've been letting the game run as I type this to build up enough funds to gut the last remnants of the old industrial core and reclaim all of that space once and for all. My city currently occupies about half the map which is definitely a first for me. :D

Sorry for the long write up, I'm having a blast.

The pollution problem got so bad that I spawned a giant mutant gorilla that I had to use the defense forces to take down. He spawned three times and while the damage he created was minimal foot-print wise, he took down a lot of expensive amenities that exacerbated the urban flight problem. As if that wasn't enough, I had three back-to-back earthquakes that disrupted traffic patterns and took down some more high rises.

I hope nobody puts you in charge of city planning IRL

(I'm not building roads out to every single random tree fire out in the boonties)
Back when I played SimCity2000 obsessively (before I bought CivDOS!), if a fire broke out in any (forested) area with still-inadequate firefighting coverage, I would quickly carve a firebreak around it, so that it couldn't spread too far.

IIRC, bulldozing only cost $1 per tile, and roads cost $10 per tile, so it was often cheaper in the long run e.g. to tear up all the roads around a burning block/area (and re-lay them later) than to take the economic hit associated with letting the fire spread across a wider area.

Can you do anything like that on the DS-version?

Back when I played SimCity2000 obsessively (before I bought CivDOS!), if a fire broke out in any (forested) area with still-inadequate firefighting coverage, I would quickly carve a firebreak around it, so that it couldn't spread too far.

I did that too! (I think it also works in SimCity 4.)

Who cares about Cape Breton anyways?

Definitely not the Bretoners. :smug:

(It is with much sadness I report they call themselves Cape Bretoners and not something cool like Bretons or Bretonians.)

I attempted to generate the region again. This time, the game froze. :cringe:

I attempted to generate the region again. This time, the game froze. :cringe:

The problem there, I think, was a region size issue. To import a region I think you have to establish the appropriate region size first, even though you would think that it would happen automatically.

Please build me a nice office in Hali Aimee. :)

I thought you just said "capitalism is not supposed to work this way." :think:
Yes, you're supposed to make money out of other people's misfortune.
*cue reflexive upvote from Lexicus*
As long as you two can kiss and make up. :mischief:

We should break up, 'cos aimee loves it when we kiss and make up…

But AdamCrock's said he's not gay so it'd be hypocritical.

Last edited:
I re-downloaded the files and tried again to import the region. This time the game gave me an error about the file being the wrong size. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom