What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2018-5-7_9-40-52.png

when u realize she was totally lying about those chakras and now ur gonna need to clean out a lot of bad vibes

I remember having that guy get petrified into stone by some bull monster and i couln't get rid of him 'cause he wasn't technially dead, but he couldn't do anything. At least he didn't need any food or water. Another time my characters were thirsty so i went to a well and he was the first one to drink from it agnd got poisoned, so i was wandering around waiting for him to die so i could replace him with some other guy who wanted to join my party(i was perpetually broke so i could afford an antidote). And another time i remember getting all my characters drunk and than got attacked by goblins, their combat performance weren't very impressive and they all died. Then the underworld guy booted us all back to the world of the living with no gold, supplies or weapons in the starting town that was overrun by goblins where they would die, get resurrected and die again. That's when i learned not to lure the goblins into the starting town and try to fight them while drunk.....

This is something I really miss. You didn't have quest markers, but people gave you proper directions. Follow this road until that tree, turn east and tun west after that rock etc.
Now it's just "There's a cave" and a marker pops up in your map. You can do this in modern settings where everyone has a smartphone, but in fantasy settings it's really immersion breaking.
Otoh i would be completely unable to spend half a hour looking for some cave today. I have neither the patience nor the time as i had when i played Morrowind the first time. I admit it was the proper way of doing it though, it is only that i am not a proper gamer anymore.

Man, that's nonsense. They can go the realism route when we have time-dilated holodecks. Until then, convenience is key. I don't want to deal with someone's lame directions. If I wanted that, I'd pretend I was a tourist and ask passerbys on the street how to get to random destinations. If you see the red barn, you've gone too far. Thanks, every barn is red. Useful. I am immersed.

The biggest difference between Morrowind Combat and Oblivion/Skyrim Combat is that many Morrowind enemies have a set level that doesn't change while Oblivion and Skyrim enemies level with the character. There is nothing quite like entering a cave with your level 8 character and finding a level 60 enemy...:eek2:

Luckily the enemy leveling in Skyrim is more nuanced and less obvious than Oblivion.

Over the last week or so...

I spent some time in Far Cry Primal hunting rare yaks and rare deer, but to no avail. I captured a couple of Izila outposts along the way that were way cooler than the Wenja home village, and more centrally located. Some of the outposts are just a bonfire and a lean-to with a rug to sleep on, but some of them are full-fledged villages with nice huts and fences and real beds n' [stuff]. I wish you could relocate to those after you 'liberate' them.

They Are Billions introduced some new 'super-buildings' (one of them makes all newly-produced military units Veterans, for example), but I keep getting my [behind] kicked at 100% and haven't been able to build any of them. I had 24 archers and 30 snipers with a double stone wall and a pair of ballistas, and I still got overrun by a run-of-the-mill horde, not even the big one. I need to reevaluate my entire strategy. The stuff that worked up to now just isn't working anymore. I'm actually thinking that maybe funneling the dead into a narrow front is the wrong approach. I may try building long walls and spreading the horde out so they're damaging many wall segments at once, instead of concentrating their attack on a narrow front.

I got back into my T-44 Soviet medium tank in World of Tanks, to mixed results: First, the tank is amazing. They actually buffed it since I last played, and it was already pretty solid. Second, people were right about Tier VIII under the new matchmaking system. Hoo-boy. You just have to be zen about it. Mostly, I'm finding that the maps have changed so much that I'm essentially back to being a total noob. Unfortunately, I've got the instinct to attack of a veteran player, so I'm just recklessly driving into ambushes and crossfires like a complete tool. My best effort came after I spent a game being very cautious, exploring a new map while following behind a higher-tier Medium Tank. On the next game on that same map, I was able to use the route I'd learned to lay down the hammer for 1,900 damage and 1,600 spotting.

I got Galactic Battlegrounds for a dollar last week ($1 Steam wallet from cards, $1 myself) and have been playing that.

A modern Star Wars RTS would be nice, even just an HD remaster of this. It kind of didn't age well for modern screens. Still a lot of fun.

I played through Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin the other day. Tim Schafer is still a great writer. He's basically the Tim Burton of video games. Thankfully the game wasn't at LucasArts difficulty level for the puzzles. I liked it. But it didn't live up to the milk-man level in Psychonauts 1. Which is still the best thing ever made in a video game by far.

Squad updated to v11 so I've been playing a bunch :D

I've been playing The Turing Test on Xbox 1.

35gb is perfectly in line with new games with this kind of ambition. And I have got 690 hours in it, well worth the $40 I dropped :)

35gb is perfectly in line with new games with this kind of ambition.
*mouths soundlessly, incoherently, in front of screen for several seconds*

35gb is perfectly in line with new games with this kind of ambition. And I have got 690 hours in it, well worth the $40 I dropped :)

Star Citizen is selling plots of Virtual land and hundred dollar construction ships /s
It honestly just looks like an ARMA style mil sim game to me, I prefer to avoid early access and pre-orders. Early access because tend to play the hell out of the game and then just not bother returning when its released or its ends up unfinished abandoneware.

It's intended to bridge the gap between the clunkiness of ARMA and the accessibility of Battlefield, and it does a really good job of that IMO.

I completely understand where you're coming from with the EA burnout - been there and done that on the earliest of EA titles, minecraft. Literally haven't played the actual release version. Too many changes.

Since Steam Cloud ate all my saves, I started a new game of Fallout: New Vegas.

This guy got stuck in a doorway. I tried to push him out, but just made matters worse.

Spoiler :

And I'm not even sure what I did, but this guy (who's supposed to have broken legs?) is swimming up and down the stairs repeatedly.

Spoiler :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom