What video games have you been playing V: the return of the subtitle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass Effect is the best. I'm getting kind of mad they have not said anything about Andromeda yet.

I wouldn't be exactly optimistic. I expect they'll milk it out for every dollar it's worth.

I wouldn't be exactly optimistic. I expect they'll milk it out for every dollar it's worth.

I expect it to be a good polished game, but I'm skeptical if they can capture the magic of the original trilogy.

On the one hand, I want to know everything about Andromeda this second.

On the other, I kind of want to play through it totally blind, to recreate the magic of playing Mass Effect for the first time.

Either way, I am 100% going to pre-order it and play it Day 1, and I never ever do that.

Anyway, I've tried something interesting in my new-new-new-new NV character - a no fast-travel run. So far...it's both interesting and exhausting.

I expect it to be a good polished game, but I'm skeptical if they can capture the magic of the original trilogy.

It might. Some of the rumors circulating say it is going to take place a few hundred years after Mass Effect 3 and it's going to take place in a new galaxy (the Andromeda Galaxy, hence the name). So with all new characters, and a completely new galaxy to explore, it just might be able to pull off that sense of wonder and awe that the first trilogy had.

I would be happy if they stayed far away from the Reapers though. Not to rag on the ending of the trilogy but it was kind of lame. I just hope they start over and don't try and tie it in wit the old games.

I would be happy if they stayed far away from the Reapers though. Not to rag on the ending of the trilogy but it was kind of lame. I just hope they start over and don't try and tie it in wit the old games.

Reapers should have won. That would have been a great ending.

I would like something a little more grounded, without the entire galaxy being at stake. Like Dragon Age 2, but better. Though, knowing BioWare, I'm sure the central conflict will be epic in scope, for better or worse.

I also really hope they ditch the fetch quests that plagued ME3 and Inquisition.

Reapers should have won. That would have been a great ending.

The Reapers did win.
#indoctrinated

Mass Effect Andromeda is possibly the game I am most hopeful and most sceptical about. ME 3 had some disappointing bits, and not just about the ending. There's a very noticeable drop in the quality of the writing between ME2 and 3.
And Dragon Age: Inquisition -while not a bad game- is the final proof that Bioware's new niche is RPGs for people who don't like RPGs, but I like RPGs.

Dragon Age 3 was pretty bland.

And after Witcher 3, well, the bar is in the stratosphere for RPGs now. Hopefully this leads to better things from the likes of Bioware or Bethesda (hahahaa).

There's a very noticeable drop in the quality of the writing between ME2 and 3.
I would dispute that. I think the quality of writing isn't really that different. The overall plots for both games fall kind of flat, and each has moments with terrible writing (Samara's loyalty mission in ME2 is cringeworthy) and moments with great writing (priority: tuchanka). The first game probably has the worst writing, and it's still pretty good.

ME3 has its problems, not just the ending, but it also does a lot of things really damn well.

And Dragon Age: Inquisition -while not a bad game- is the final proof that Bioware's new niche is RPGs for people who don't like RPGs, but I like RPGs.
What do you mean?

Perhaps EA/BW are taking a page out of Bethesda's book and keeping the marketing hype on Andromeda to a relative minimum before the final six months. Or maybe the project's fallen behind and they don't want to show it yet. The staff issues they seem to have had over the last year might be indicative of that.
Didn't figure you for a genre purist.

Dragon Age 3 was pretty bland.

And after Witcher 3, well, the bar is in the stratosphere for RPGs now. Hopefully this leads to better things from the likes of Bioware or Bethesda (hahahaa).
Witcher 3 was very good but the praise is overblown (Hearts of Stone was fantastic though). And while I agree it's better than Inquisition, they're pretty different games, and Inquisition is still good.

ME 3 had some terrible character design (Vega, Kai Leng) and some of the dialohue was facepalm worthy. And I hated where they went with EDI.

What do you mean?

The action/mmo style combat and the limited character customization where we don't need to worry our pretty little heads about attributes or non-combat skills any more would be my biggest complaints.

Didn't figure you for a genre purist.
I don't think I'm much of a purist, I'm OK with some streamlining, but in my opinion they went too far. I felt more like a Mass Effect/Skyrim hybrid than what would have expected from a Dragon Age game.

The two things that put me off of the Witcher games are the aforementioned circlejerk and the fact that you're locked into playing a character that is basically just a less interesting version of Caine. Not my thing. They're very pretty games, though.

ME 3 had some terrible character design (Vega, Kai Leng) and some of the dialohue was facepalm worthy. And I hated where they went with EDI.
I thought Vega was fine, but Kai Leng is pretty terrible, and I have mixed feelings on EDI. ME3's writing does have its low points, but so do the other games.

The action/mmo style combat and the limited character customization where we don't need to worry our pretty little heads about attributes or non-combat skills any more would be my biggest complaints.
First, I would not call it action combat, though even if it was I don't see how that makes it not an RPG. I think you're using a pretty narrow definition of RPG. What would you consider good examples?

The two things that put me off of the Witcher games are the aforementioned circlejerk and the fact that you're locked into playing a character that is basically just a less interesting version of Caine. Not my thing. They're very pretty games, though.
You would like r/gamingcirclejerk.

I don't mind Geralt as a character, but I hate his voice actor, and I do prefer to create my own character to play.

Well, the first Witcher isn't very good, though awful is a strong word. Otherwise that person's subjective opinion is objectively wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom