What Video Games Have You Been Playing VI: Because There Are No Elections In Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still haven't actually played Kerbal Space Program. I started it up and messed with some settings at the main menu but then closed the game out after that because I wanted to go back to playing TATW.
I recommend it. Actually, I recommend some of the tutorials from Scott Manley and maybe one of his more fanciful videos (for lack of a better word). It's a rewarding game once you learn the ropes. Scott Manley can take a ton of the guess work out so you're having fun and actually accomplishing stuff. Let me know if you want any pointers, I am fairly good at it.

I got back into Train Fever. Haven't played it for about half a year, if not longer.

I used to be addicted to Transportation Tycoon, and this is basically a modern reboot of the franchise. Not an official reboot mind you, and it's still not possible to set up complex train routes, but none of my designs ever make use of any of that, so I don't mind. I mean I sort of mind, it would be cool to do more complex stuff, but without it it doesn't really take away much enjoyment of the game (for me). I mostly enjoy building up infrastructure of a town and watching it expand.

Anyway, try out this game if you like trains and/or transportation sims

I got back into Train Fever. Haven't played it for about half a year, if not longer.

I used to be addicted to Transportation Tycoon, and this is basically a modern reboot of the franchise. Not an official reboot mind you, and it's still not possible to set up complex train routes, but none of my designs ever make use of any of that, so I don't mind. I mean I sort of mind, it would be cool to do more complex stuff, but without it it doesn't really take away much enjoyment of the game (for me). I mostly enjoy building up infrastructure of a town and watching it expand.

Anyway, try out this game if you like trains and/or transportation sims
Are you not going to back me up on the awesomeness that is KSP? :lol: j/k

I've never tried a simulator outside of Harvest Moon and SimCity 2000. I'll have to give one a try. Any other recommendations besides this one?

I've never tried a simulator outside of Harvest Moon and SimCity 2000. I'll have to give one a try. Any other recommendations besides this one?

SimCity 3000 is a great one if only for its soundtrack.

Stardew Valley is a modern Harvest Moon and is on console now. It will have co-op eventually.

Game Dev Tycoon is... acceptable if buggy.

Zoo Tycoon for all your zookeeping needs! And dinosaurs.

I just got an Xbox 1, so I've been trying out Assassin's Creed: Unity.

Oh KSP is awesome alright! I haven't played it in a while. In my last game I tried to go through a career mode playthrough, before that I played all sandbox mode. But then the game crashed on me after I sent up my first real science orbiting station. So I haven't played since. That was a couple months ago, so they've probably fixed whatever problem I came across, but it kinda did turn me off from the game. I was just so engrossed in my mission and then *poof* it's gone. It was like watching your spaceship explode with no autosave.

Mind you that was the only time ever the game has crashed for me. It has always seemed so stable. So to anyone reading, do not let that dissuade you from trying this game. If you're into "space stuff", you will like KSP

Cities: Skylines is a great city building game, I would try that one. Banished is also very fun, I've gotten a lot of gaming time out of it. I would try the vanilla game first to get familiar with everything, and then try the Colonial Charter mod, which adds a lot of new content to the game. Playing the "Adam and Eve" starting mechanic is a lot of fun, but mind you I haven't tried any of the other ones that the mod sets you up with. As for mods for Cities: Skylines, there are so many of them, that I don't really know which to recommend. There used to be "must use" mods (for me), but the devs integrated some of them into the game. Some stopped working, some were abandoned by devs, etc. The mod that turns off chirpy is probably a must, but other than that I have no idea. That's one issue with the game - if you step away from it for a couple months, you have to sit down and figure out which mods are now "must have". Maybe it's just me but that would change all the time.

Planetbase was a very fun game that you might be into. You land a bunch of resources and dudes on a planet and have to build a base. It's a very addicting base building game, even though after a while you realize there could have been a lot more to it. I think I bought it for $5 - well worth it at that price. No idea what it's going for now but I've definitely had a lot of fun with it.

I've just finished The Longest Journey. I've had this game for years but never finished it.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe and RollerCoaster Tycoon.

Cities in Motion, which is kind of like Transport Tycoon except it focuses on public transport in a single city.

Train Fever is basically a modern remake of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It does everything TTD did, except that you have a lot more freedom designing your routes, since the game isn't split into square tiles but rather allows you to build your roads and railroads anywhere you want, in any direction. The graphics are also a lot more modern and from what I've seen there are a couple extra features that make the game easier to maintain, especially in the latter stages when you have a lot of train lines and tram lines and whatever else. Mind you I've never tried the free remake, I'm comparing it to the original.

I like Cities in Motion but in the first one the city doesn't expand. The main thing I like about TTD and Train Fever is watching the cities you operate in expand over time.

It's more small scale, but SimCity Societies is decent as well. It borrows a lot of concepts from City Life.

Is it worth picking up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for $20? I was a big fan of Human Revolution and a sucker for cyberpunk stuff; but on Steam it seems just about every review complains about how the game is too short and the story isn't that great.

In other news, had a desire to play Witcher 2 again, this time siding with Iorveth.

Oh KSP is awesome alright! I haven't played it in a while. In my last game I tried to go through a career mode playthrough, before that I played all sandbox mode. But then the game crashed on me after I sent up my first real science orbiting station. So I haven't played since. That was a couple months ago, so they've probably fixed whatever problem I came across, but it kinda did turn me off from the game. I was just so engrossed in my mission and then *poof* it's gone. It was like watching your spaceship explode with no autosave.

Mind you that was the only time ever the game has crashed for me. It has always seemed so stable. So to anyone reading, do not let that dissuade you from trying this game. If you're into "space stuff", you will like KSP

Cities: Skylines is a great city building game, I would try that one. Banished is also very fun, I've gotten a lot of gaming time out of it. I would try the vanilla game first to get familiar with everything, and then try the Colonial Charter mod, which adds a lot of new content to the game. Playing the "Adam and Eve" starting mechanic is a lot of fun, but mind you I haven't tried any of the other ones that the mod sets you up with. As for mods for Cities: Skylines, there are so many of them, that I don't really know which to recommend. There used to be "must use" mods (for me), but the devs integrated some of them into the game. Some stopped working, some were abandoned by devs, etc. The mod that turns off chirpy is probably a must, but other than that I have no idea. That's one issue with the game - if you step away from it for a couple months, you have to sit down and figure out which mods are now "must have". Maybe it's just me but that would change all the time.

Planetbase was a very fun game that you might be into. You land a bunch of resources and dudes on a planet and have to build a base. It's a very addicting base building game, even though after a while you realize there could have been a lot more to it. I think I bought it for $5 - well worth it at that price. No idea what it's going for now but I've definitely had a lot of fun with it.
I know that feel with KSP. Do you remember when we competed to land on Laythe and return? Well you beat me like the Americans beat the Russians to the moon. But like the Russians, I kept launching. I put together a pretty big base on Laythe with trains (linked hab rovers), a mobile sounding rocket platfrom, open-air rovers, a space station, 4 re-usable landers and fuel tankers. I had just sent the first batch of colonists when they updated the game and wiped it.

I had to list every single thing I built because I'm still bitter about it. I cut back my playing drastically after that and I've only played a few times since.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll try some out. Planetbase in particular seems really fun.

That was a very fun race! I was lucky with my rescue, my rescue craft wasn't designed, it was just made "hopefully big enough". I also needed 6-10 fuel tankers orbiting nearby in order to complete the full mission.

Planetbase really pulled me in at first, I think you are going to like it.

I don't have a computer that could do Civ 6 justice and don't have plans to upgrade for a couple of years at least.

Has anybody here played Civ6 with the latest patch? Thoughts?

I haven't finished a game yet, but there are some more UI improvements over the last patch and the AI is either better or has more bonuses. Seems to me they expand, build wonders and found religions faster. As for diplo, it's still too early to tell, but there seems to be less pointless hatred against the human. Gilgamesh has offered me joint wars against Russia and India and is willing to bribe me. So, that's pretty cool.
I can't comment yet on the balance and pacing changes as those don't come into play until the Renaissance or Industrial era.

I heard they added in Poland and are charging people $5 just to play as Poland. So quickly after the game was released..

What nonsense, I am vindicated in my initial plan to wait until the game is cheaper

You also get a scenario that you'll probably only try out once or twice.
The only reason I even got Civ 6 this year is that I'll most likely play it more than most other games. It also retained most features from civ 5 and made some interesting changes. I don't regret the purchase, but the DLC policy is worse than it was for Civ 5. I guess that's what Steam sales are for.
Of course Poland will get a massive nerf by the time it's 75% off. Right now they look extremely OP.

I didn't know how fun it was to just pillage enemy Towns in Civ 4. So much gold, and no need to worry about units dying in city attacks.

Predynastic Egypt - it's a fun, short, strategic, tile-based resource game. I completed my first run-through in 4 hours, but I could easily spend a lot more replaying it, as I only managed an average score on the easiest mode.

I got myself The Witcher 1 & 2, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Age of Wonders 2. I don't even play that much, I just like buying stuff that is 80% reduced..

I don't have a computer that could do Civ 6 justice and don't have plans to upgrade for a couple of years at least.

I'm playing Civ VI on a 5 year old laptop with 4GB of Ram, a GFX card from the last century and the horsehockytiest CPU imagineable. Still works decently.

I wonder if they made Poland so overpowered in order to drive sales. Seems sneaky

Poland is not overpowered, none of the Civs that had lots of boni towards religion is because religion in itself is complete diggs. Germany, Sumeria, Scythia and maybe Rome are overpowered. Poland is just good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom