What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

yes, with a thermometer at the deepest point of the meat. 160 is arguably safe, too, because the meat resumes cooking

Yes I would never try that chicken shashimi. That looks like rubber to me. Leave shashimi for fish. Maybe some cuts of beef. Even pork raw is too chewy. I've had pork pokes before and the flavor is fine but sometimes too chewy.

I just received this link in an email. It's for slow-cooker corned beef, but it also gives some useful general tips.
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/slow-cooker-corned-beef/

Normally I would tweak the recipe and post it. In this case there are too many helpful photos and recipe alternatives to post it all here. I'll make do with one pic.

I found my wife's recipe for dessert lasagna. That's not the actual name, but it is descriptive and has a bit of catché. The actual name is

Cracker Dessert.

1 package unsalted soda crackers
1 package instant pudding mix
milk to make pudding (check package)
I large tub Cool Whip
fruit, berries, pie filling or other garnish (optional)

Line bottom of 9 X 13 baking dish with soda crackers.
Prepare pudding mix according to package instructions. Gently pour ½ over crackers and spread.
Gently spread ½ carton of Cool Whip over pudding
Cover Cool Whip layer with another layer of soda crackers.
Gently pour remaining pudding over crackers. Cover with remaining Cool Whip.
Chill for at least an hour to overnight.
Cover with crushed, drained pineapple, frozen berries, or pie filling

Any flavor of pudding works. Fit your garnish to that flavor. For example, chocolate pudding can be topped with cherry pie filling or shaved chocolate. Pistachio is a good choice, cover with chopped pistachios or shaved almonds. Vanilla pudding can be layered with toasted coconut and topped with drained, crushed pineapple.

This is very easy--it's a good option for children--but makes an impressive looking dessert. Using a glass dish allows you to place fruit for effect.

J

I have to admit that of all the things I've thought could be cooked in a slow cooker meat loaf never crossed my mind until this recipe wandered across my path. We'll see how it turns out. If it turns out to be really great or really bad it will definitely be a statement on the slow cooker, since it seemed like a fairly typical meatloaf except the slow cooker part. I'm sort of glad it wasn't anything really new and different as meat loaf goes, because that could obscure whether the slow cooker is a good way to go.

I find that trying non-slow cooker recipes in the slow cooker don't turn out very well. Even when the recipe is a ''low cooker variation', if the base dish isn't normally cooked that way then it won't turn out that great.

I find that trying non-slow cooker recipes in the slow cooker don't turn out very well. Even when the recipe is a ''low cooker variation', if the base dish isn't normally cooked that way then it won't turn out that great.

We'll know in a couple hours. My biggest complaint about slow cooker stuff is that my dogs get really demanding.

EDIT, final report

So, that turned out to be the best meat loaf I've ever made. That may sound more exciting than it is, since meat loaf is not anything like a specialty of mine. In fact it might be fair to say that was the first meat loaf I ever made that I wasn't a little disappointed with.

But, fact remains that a recipe that didn't look a whole lot different from things I have tried in the past turned out a whole lot better. With no other obvious source to account for the improved results I have to say SLOW COOKER FOR THE WIN!!!!!

Last edited:
Slow cooker seems very conducive to making meatloaf because it's a slow, moist roast. The issue most dishes have with a slow cooker is that there's no crisping involved that you'd get with a normal pan in an oven, like no crispy edges or top for stuff like a lasagna or browning a chicken, and there's little to no evaporation because of the lid so nothing reduces very well so dishes like a pasta sauce you want to reduce down for flavor don't work as well. But a meatloaf doesn't care about any of that, it just wants to stay moist and slow cooker could do that nicely.

I made a pretty good appetizer for a new year's party.

3 medium jalapenos stems trimmed off and seeded. Use more or less depending on your desired heat level.
16 ounces of cream cheese
8 ounces of shredded cheese like colby, Monterrey jack, cheddar or a combo. I used cheddar jack.
3 tablespoons of cooked and crumbled bacon or bacon bits
Three cans of refrigerated rolls like pillsbury crescent rolls (24 rolls, they come in 8 per can)

Pulse the jalapenos in a food processor until roughly diced, then add cheeses and pulse until combined. Add the bacon last and pulse again.
Unroll the dough and on each roll put a nice dollop, about a tablespoon, of mixture.
Roll the dough up into a normal crescent roll shape making sure all the filling is enclosed and bake per instructions, I believe it's at 375 for 10-15 minutes until brown.

If you don't have a food processor you can finely diced the jalapenos, soften the cream cheese and mix everything by hand but food processor is easier. I don't totally obliterate the mix cus I like everything to taste a little chunky with distinct jalapeno and bacon pieces but you can do as you please if you want more like jalapeno flavored cheese filling.

Last edited:
Tinned pastry dough is very useful for all sorts of quick dishes. I like to leave two triangles together, ie a rectangle, meat, cheese, sauce if any, fold over and bake. It's a better Hot Pocket. Another idea is to paint with tomato sauce, sprinkle Italian herb mix, pepperoni and mozzarella, fold and bake.

Have you considered making the cheese mix, stuff in a whole jalapeno, wrap with bacon, skewer and grill? This would make an excellent popper.

J

Yeah I love that dough, I use it to make faux pot pies sometimes too. The hot pockets is an awesome idea my kids would probably like. A whole jalapeno sounds too spicy for me, though grilling might mellow it out.

Poppers, these particularly, are not as spicy as you expect. Dairy, sugar, and fat all damp capsicum, the active agent in peppers. These poppers already have the fat and the dairy. If you want to kill the heat more, serve with something sweet.

That said, the walls of the pepper are not where the heat resides so be thorough cleaning them. Here is a primer. https://oureverydaylife.com/solutions-much-heat-jalapeno-42203.html

J

Later today I am baking 4 chickenbreasts stuffed with a bit of cheese and mushrooms (and spices), rubbed with a Jamie Oliver (glaze?) made out of olive oli, thyme, and other things.

His recipe calls for baking it on top of leeks, but I will be baking it on top of mushrooms, carrots, and onions.

I tried this recipe with broccoli 2 weeks ago and it turned out amazing

edit: I just made and ate 25% of this. Wow, it turned out well!! I only used a bit of cheese per breast and no mushrooms inside. Other than that I followed the above recipe.. Oh wait, you don't rub the chicken breasts in anything, just mix that up with the veggies, set it on bottom of pan, then put the chicken breasts wrapped in bacon or pancetta on top of that, and drizzle a bit of olive oil overtop.

I made a side salad of kale served with some olive oil, mango bulsamic vinegar & squeezed lemon and some pepper. I might cut up the other chicken breasts and eat them in a wrap with kale and other things

Last edited:
Sounds good, what temp and how long to cook the chicken?

I'm on kind of a health kick with the new year and made a salad I really enjoyed with kale, baby spinach, romaine, snow peas in the pods cut up, chopped broccoli and cauliflower, chopped pecans, grilled chicken and a dressing with red wine vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper, ground mustard. Recipe called for dijon mustard but I had none. The pecans I think really put this salad over the top. I love nuts in my salads, mostly cashews, almonds or pecans. Spinach isn't crunchy enough for me to make a whole salad of but I love it mixed with other lettuce.

Another thing I've found that kicks salad up a notch is to season it with salt or garlic salt and some pepper. Lots of people put pepper on salad and I know salting a salad sounds kind of weird, but it seems to brighten up the flavor of veggies and just make them more savory even in raw form. I usually make a little tin of garlic powder, coarse salt and black pepper to have on hand and just sprinkle a pinch on my salad.

I cooked it at 415F for 37 minutes

Recipe said to cook 1 chickenbreast at 400F for 25-35 minutes or until "pancetta is nice and crispy", but my bacon was far from that, so I upped the temperature.

Maybe I should be using pancetta and not bacon really, but then again I was cooking 4 chicken breasts and not 1 as well

That salad sounds interesting, I might have to try that. Today for my salad I had kale with a bit of olive oil and bulsamic vinegar and citrus juice. Not much at all, but it went really well with the chicken. Your recipe is more involved, but I wanna try it

Today I prepared garlic butter for tomorrows Kiev chicken dish. It's going to be chickenlicious good.

Broccoli Beef

I added quinoa and wild rice to the basic white rice but otherwise followed the recipe. Turned out very well but took a bit of prep and about an hour and a half to cook all told.

Spoiler :
20190106_184709.jpg

I find it interesting that Cajun bean recipes are always beans and rice recipes. The rice part is usually, "Serve over rice." Here is a take on Louisianna red beans, which are served with rice.

Louisianna-style Red Beans

oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, cleaned and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
1 lb chopped smoked ham or ham hock
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning blend
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried sage
cayenne pepper to taste
1 pound soaked red beans
4 cups chicken broth or more as needed
¼ cup apple cider vinegar

Sauté onion, peppers, and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and ham and cook stirring another minute.
Add sausage, Cajun seasonings, thyme, sage, cayenne, red beans, and chicken broth.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat.
Simmer until the beans are tender and slightly creamy, at least 90 minutes. Keep testing.
Stir in the vinegar and mash up the beans a bit with a spoon.

Serve over rice and garnish with chopped parsley. Depending on the serving size, this can be a side or a main course. Onion, bell pepper and celery are sometimes called the Holy Trinity of Cajun cooking. Don't skip the jalapeno. The heat is negligible and can be reduced by cleaning. The flavor is important.

As a basic approach to beans, this is hard to beat. Use different beans, a different sausage, substitute lime for vinegar, use smoked turkey instead of smoked pork. It all works. With store purchased American beans, soaking is unnecessary. Wash and increase the liquid as needed. Alternatively, cover the beans with boiling water and let stand while preparing the rest. Drain well before adding to the cooking pan.

This style of cooking almost begs for black iron. If you don't have a good cast iron skillet and cover, invest in one. It will still be cooking when your great-grandchildren retire. My wife suggests precooking the beans in a pressure cooker. It could cut the simmer time to 15 minutes. We have not tried this approach but for anyone at altitude, it may be necessary.

J

That sounds great, I love red beans and rice, jambalaya and gumbo. Never have tried making it myself.

Top Bottom