What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Can't get decent sized jalapenos or any whole jalapenos out in my neck of the woods. They are on my list of items to add to my next menu. My spring menu last year is typical of the provender: Buffalo wings, hot dogs in bacon, barbecued chicken, char siu pork, potato salad, garden salad, coleslaw, curried egg salad, garlic herb lamb chops, butter chicken, roast rib of beef, roast pork belly, pulled beef chuck, three pulled pork shoulders, smoked beef and pork ribs, potato bake, mac and cheese, baked special fried rice, Swedish fried mushrooms, German cabbage, the Mexican casserole, cornbread muffins, chocolate pudding and sticky date pudding.

Tonight we are going for dinner at a German place (I am thinking maultaschen) then we are watching the shape of water at a movie theater. Yes, she picked the movie.

you do realize the shape of water comes from the same director as pacific rim, hellboy and mimic - attack of the killer insects? :lol: I don't think it's much of a "woman' movie" tbh. enjoy your maultaschen :)

I am fasting for a week, so for the occasion of our anniversary me and my girlfriend cooked something up together.

That position looks Ok, but consider putting in a governor before the mushrooms
in the corners flip.

I found an easy way to make chocolate chip cookies pop. Use dark chocolate chips and sprinkle salt on top of the cookies after they come out of the oven. mmmhmm good

Salt makes so many desserts shine, people should use it more. I was making a custard in a cooking class and it was just sugar, eggs, wine and salt. Pretty amazing stuff.

I tried to do a pork loin roast in my crockpot because it takes about an hour to cook in a regular oven and I don't have time to cook anything that long on a weeknight. I put it on low for about 8 hours but it was dry. I'll bet half that time would do. I wasn't sure because a lot of crock pot pork recipes online use butt or shoulder which probably has more fat and is less tender than loin so a longer cook time would break it down I guess.

The flavor was good though. I simply rubbed with coarse salt and pepper, seared off all sides in olive oil, then I made a paste with thyme and rosemary and dijon mustard and coated in. I then reduced the pan leftovers with a little butter and white wine and poured it over the roast. Really good flavor, threw in yellow potatoes, carrots and onions into the pot too with some chicken broth to stay moist.

This is a variation of an old magazine recipe

Chicken Cacciatore

1 whole chicken, 4 pounds cut pieces, or 2 pounds boneless/skinless meat
flour with S&P for dredging
bacon drippings, oil or butter
1 large onion, skinned and chopped
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 large Anaheim pepper, cut into strips
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large can diced or pureed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 cup wine (or water)
1 tsp each thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon sugar

Dredge chicken in seasoned flour.
In heavy skillet, brown chicken in batches. Set aside.
In the same skillet, sauté the onion, celery, pepper and mushrooms til limp, about 5 minutes.
Put in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except chicken.
Cook on high to boil or 15 minutes. Cover and reduce to low for 15 more.
Return chicken and cook covered on low for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.

If you cannot get Anaheim pepper, use a green pepper and a couple jalapenos or add a spoon of hot sauce. Two cans of Rotel tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes also works. I like adding one dried mushroom for extra umami. The recipe assumes dried and powdered herbs. If using fresh herbs, double to triple the quantity. For fresh basil, hold out until last five minutes.

If you have a good dutch oven, this is easy to do in one pot. Brown chicken, saute veggies, boil sauce. Reduce heat and simmer covered 30 minutes. Add chicken and continue for another 45.

Last edited:
Hot link and potato salad on a "tailgate brats" bun.

I'm not posting this because it was anything really special, it's just that if I disappear I wanted a record of what got me.

Biscuits and gravy. Super easy, super yummy. The whole dish takes about 10-15 minutes. For Europeans out there I mean american biscuits like these:

Spoiler :

1 pound of ground pork breakfast sausage
quarter stick of butter
1/3 cup of flour
2-3 cups of milk
ground black pepper

In a large pan brown the sausage breaking into small pieces. Do not drain.
Turn heat down to medium-low. Push the sausage to the sides so there's a little free area in the middle of the pan. Add butter and let it melt in that area.
When butter has just melted add the flour and mix with butter but not the sausage yet.
Let the flour cook for about a minute. You want to cook off some flour taste but not brown it.
Then mix in all the sausage so the flour is mixed throughout.
Now add milk, 2-3 cups is an estimate because I don't measure. Just whatever looks good keeping in mind this will thicken but not reduce. You can easily add more milk later if it's too thick.
Stir in fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Let is simmer very gently for a few minutes stirring now and then until it's your desired consistency. It won't take long.
Server over warm biscuits.

You can make biscuits from scratch in another 15 minutes plus ~10 to cook, but it is deceptively hard. Mine are always too dense so I use the biscuit dough from a can. They cook in about 10 minutes so the gravy is done at the same time.

Biscuits and gravy. Super easy, super yummy. The whole dish takes about 10-15 minutes. For Europeans out there I mean american biscuits like these:

Spoiler :

1 pound of ground pork breakfast sausage
quarter stick of butter
1/3 cup of flour
2-3 cups of milk
ground black pepper

In a large pan brown the sausage breaking into small pieces. Do not drain.
Turn heat down to medium-low. Push the sausage to the sides so there's a little free area in the middle of the pan. Add butter and let it melt in that area.
When butter has just melted add the flour and mix with butter but not the sausage yet.
Let the flour cook for about a minute. You want to cook off some flour taste but not brown it.
Then mix in all the sausage so the flour is mixed throughout.
Now add milk, 2-3 cups is an estimate because I don't measure. Just whatever looks good keeping in mind this will thicken but not reduce. You can easily add more milk later if it's too thick.
Stir in fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Let is simmer very gently for a few minutes stirring now and then until it's your desired consistency. It won't take long.
Server over warm biscuits.

You can make biscuits from scratch in another 15 minutes plus ~10 to cook, but it is deceptively hard. Mine are always too dense so I use the biscuit dough from a can. They cook in about 10 minutes so the gravy is done at the same time.

That's the gravy I like :)
Use a little les flower, high fat milk and add just before serving some more butter.

Goes perfectly with the traditional Dutch dish "stamppot boerenkool". Cooked curled kale with mashed potatoes mixed through it. I usually add a bit of oats in the last phase of kale cooking to get a little bit more gelatinous texture, spiced with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Served besides those pork sausage and the gravy with "rookworst", a cooked, a little bit acid smoked sausage for the contrast and some sweet/acid pickles for more contrast.

A real nice treat for the leftovers the next day is to bake them at high fire, so it browns a little bit and serve on toasted slices of bread.

The amounts may not be exact, I don't measure when I make this. I did use whole milk but it works with any type, it just might not be as creamy.

I like to eat mine with a fried egg on top.

I grilled flank steak and plantains last night. Forgot to take pictures before we made a mess of it. I marinated the steak and it was tender and delicious.

Sugarless Fruit Nut Muffins

1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease and flour a muffin pan, or use paper liners.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine dates, raisins, prunes, and water.
Boil for 5 minutes, then stir in butter and salt; set aside to cool.
When fruit mixture is cool, transfer to a large bowl.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder, then blend into fruit mixture, then fold in nuts.
Spoon into muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full. Sprinkle with nuts or additional dried fruit if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

An avocado can substitute for half the butter. Add with the eggs.

One interesting twist would be to use dried cranberries and some orange zest. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds substitute for chopped nuts. Almond extract and/or rum could be added.

J

How did you cook the plantains, hobbs? I'm good at dealing with meat *insert unoriginal joke copypasted by Synsensa here* but I've never cooked plaintains.

I cut them lengthwise, put some oil on the grill (to keep them from sticking), coated the flesh with flavored butter* and salt and grilled them flesh-down. I turned them over to reapply butter periodically and cooked the like this for about 5 minutes, then turned them over for good to finish cooking (another 5 minutes) resting on their skins. Easy peezy.

*I used a roasted garlic butter I made because that's what I used for grilled garlic bread and therefore had it on hand but I should have used a honey butter. The plantains weren't super sweet but they clashed with the garlic butter; a honey butter would've been better.

I don't think I can even buy plantains where I live. I'll have to find an ethnic grocery. There are tons of indian grocers around here. Would they have them?

What is this flavoured butter thing? You 'Muricans have weird culinary customs.

I don't think I can even buy plantains where I live. I'll have to find an ethnic grocery. There are tons of indian grocers around here. Would they have them?
I bought them at wal mart...even the wal mart in rural Missouri carried them.
What is this flavoured butter thing? You 'Muricans have weird culinary customs.
I roasted garlic, mashed it up and mixed it with butter.

Alternatively, I should have mixed honey with butter. It's not hard to make or special.

Top Bottom