Which films have you seen lately? Vol. 21: Now in CinemaScope!

I saw the Barbie movie a month back, it played on the plane & I tried to watch out of curiosity but I couldn't get thru it.

The characters were all caricatures, I get that was the idea but to be invested in a movie you have to care & I just didn't, I got about halfway thru.

I couldn't help thinking that it was pretty embarrassing for 1st world women to be portrayed in this way (living in luxury & yet complaining about a patriarchal culture), I kept imagining some 3rd world woman in an actual patriarchal culture who gets beat by her husband and has seven kids hearing the message that men are horrible cause they try to explain their favorite movies & like it when you fetch them beer & it's so hard trying to look pretty all the time.

I'd be embarrassed to pay for one of these capitalistic movies that try to make fun of themselves while making a **** ton of money, fortunately it was free
The funniest part of Barbie is what happens off camera, in fact off movie.
You have to imagine Ben Shapiro and other MAGA nimrods explaining words like "patriarchy", "mastectomy" and many more to their daughters, nieces and grand daughters.

TIL that Ewan McGregor and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are married. Go, them. :thumbsup:

---

I love the scene where the kids talk him into unleashing one of his legit fastballs and they're all like WTF. :lol: One of my sports fantasies when I was a kid was to be able to take an at-bat against a pro pitcher. I don't mean an actual at-bat in a real game, like Moonlight Graham, but just in a 'fantasy camp'-type setting, just to be able to look down the barrel of a Major League gun, so to speak. When I was in high school, a local radio station ran a contest, and the winner would get some kind of sports-themed prize involving a player from one of the local teams. So, for example, you could play Horse with a Celtics player, or skate with a Bruin. If I had won, I'd have asked for a "real" at-bat against Roger Clemens. And no [kitten] 75-mph pitches for civilians, either; I wanted them to put Gedman behind the plate with his mask on and show me the real cheese, just to see if I could even make contact (prolly not).

What boggled my mind was that it was based on a real story. Sure, the guy only played for two seasons, but still!

The funniest part of Barbie is what happens off camera, in fact off movie.
You have to imagine Ben Shapiro and other MAGA nimrods explaining words like "patriarchy", "mastectomy" and many more to their daughters, nieces and grand daughters.
This is the problem.

The movie made with dissection, internet engagement, memes, etc in mind.

The point of art is to make you engage with the art in the moment.

Sure we used to have adventures and vacations to "have a cool story" but now even while on vacation we're already telling the story rather than living the story. Watching a movie thinking about how we're gonna discuss that movie online is kinda sad (unless you're a professional content creator and that's your job)

I saw the Society of the Snow documentary on Netflix, I'd read Alive 30 or so years earlier. As always the book has much more detail about the day to day and emotional lives and especially of the aftermath but the movie was good for what it was, beautifully shot.

This is the problem.

The movie made with dissection, internet engagement, memes, etc in mind.

The point of art is to make you engage with the art in the moment.

Sure we used to have adventures and vacations to "have a cool story" but now even while on vacation we're already telling the story rather than living the story. Watching a movie thinking about how we're gonna discuss that movie online is kinda sad (unless you're a professional content creator and that's your job)
Straight through to the keeper.

ALIEN ROMULUS teaser is out:

Looks like a callback to ALIEN, ALIENS and ALIEN 3 to me, which is good. :)
Interesting. I'm a little worried about the "young people in space" description, but it appears to want to capture the atmosphere of the originals. I loved "Prometheus" but too bad Noomi wasn't saved for something like this as she'd have made a great successor to Sig. I am familiar with one of the young actresses - Cailee Spaeny. I've seen her in some stuff.

Ιμο the series has way too many movies now. Though I only liked the first one (have watched 1, 3 and 4).
I also watched Prometheus, but don't really see it as part of the original series. And I am not sure what the mythical founder of Rome has to do with anything - such can symbolize way too many things, to the point that it ends up symbolizing nothing of note. At least Prometheus referred to the gift of fire/thought.

What! You’ve not seen Aliens, K?

ALIEN ROMULUS teaser is out:

Looks like a callback to ALIEN, ALIENS and ALIEN 3 to me, which is good. :)
Huh. I thought they were stopping the movies for a while to focus on the reboot show that was retconning the Prometheus stuff.

I've never thought the original movies were anything better than "fine," but this looks promising.

Emmet Walsh R.i.P. (1935/2024)

1711008377357.jpeg

Walsh said the following about himself, "My job is to come in and move the story along. The stars don’t do the exposition …So I come on with Redford or Newman or Dustin or somebody, and I throw the ball to them, and they throw it back, and it starts to become that tennis match, back and forth, and that’s what makes the dynamics of the whole thing. And I’m driving the movie forward. I just try to sublimate myself and get in there and do it... [If] you’re casting something, and you’ve got 12 problems; if they’ve got me, they only have 11 problems."

Saw Blue Beetle. Was OK. But you're not missing a lot if you miss it.

Barbie. Lot of good writing and acting. One of the more creative films I've seen in a long time.

Syk pike | Sick of Myself, 2023. A disturbing film about a young woman (Signe) who falls into a deep well of narcissism: her need for attention is such that she orders anxiety pills off the black market which she knows will make her break out into a skin rash if she takes too many of them -- so naturally, she eats them like skittles. There are papers waiting to be written on her transformation throughout the movie, as she becomes increasingly disfigured by the pills' side effects: the Gollumization of Smegol is the most apt, I think, The scenes of her taking photos of her disfigured self to share on social media, her toxic delight in any attention is profoundly unsettling, though it becomes darkly comic at times, as when she and her partner are having sex: his "dirty talk" is telling her how he's visiting her in the hospital, and if she dies he'll make sure her dad and her ex-friend Anine can't come because they didn't come see her in the hospital, that sort of thing.

Horror director on directing Alien:Romulus -

‘Alien: Romulus’ Trailer Revives the Franchise With Facehuggers and More Scares; Director Fede Alvarez Wanted to Restore Series’ ‘Handmade’ Roots​

The first teaser trailer for Fede Álvarez’ “Alien: Romulus,” released March 20, hints at a return to the same kinds of thrills that audiences experienced back in 1979 with Ridley Scott’s “Alien” — and that James Cameron delivered in the 1986 follow-up, “Aliens.” Opening with a parade of spaceships reminiscent of the Nostromo and Sulaco, the clip offers a first look at its young cast, which features Cailee Spaeny (“Priscilla”) and Isabela Merced (“Madame Web”). The crew navigates dimly-lit, hexagonal corridors, run from scurrying facehuggers, and deliver shrieks of fear that, despite the original film’s tagline (“In space, no one can hear you scream”), echo all too viscerally.

“Alien: Romulus” marks the seventh film in the “Alien” franchise, and the overall ninth involving acid-blooded xenomorphs, if you include the “Aliens vs. Predator” crossover films. Writer-director Álvarez is about to complicate its already convoluted timeline even further with “Romulus,” which premieres August 16. But the more important question is, will it be better than some of the more lackluster chapters in this ongoing saga — which there are probably more of than great ones?

According to Álvarez, he’s hedging his bets: set in between the events of Scott’s film and Cameron’s, “Romulus” will draw heavily upon those chapters in terms of style, story and tone. Ahead of the trailer’s premiere, Álvarez, a veteran of inherited franchises including “Evil Dead” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” spoke to Variety about the ways his “Alien” film is the same, and different, from the ones that came before his, and reflected on his aim to bring the film series back to its scary roots.

This takes place in the 57-year span between “Alien” and “Aliens.” How careful did you have to be to not upset the larger mythology of the franchise?

[“Alien: Romulus”] takes 20 years after the first one, and for me, I don’t see it as upsetting the canon. It’s something I take personal pleasure in doing, making sure that it all tracks and is all part of the big “Alien” franchise story — not only in the story, but also when it comes to how to make it. I talked with Ridley [Scott] as a producer, and had long chats with James Cameron about it at the script level. After the movie was done, I showed it to them.

Everybody’s really important, from the VFX supervisor of “Aliens” and the guys that make the miniatures, and we hired a lot of them to work on the movie. Otherwise, it’s hard to nail the style and the look and the vibe of a film like I wanted. That was the biggest pleasure of making this movie, to be able to do that whole process.

How did you achieve your goals with this movie and incorporate their foundational knowledge of the franchise?

Obviously “Alien” and “Aliens” are very different movies, but we figured out ways with this story to make sure I didn’t have to choose. There are incredible, smart things [accomplished] in those movies. You really want to push it and create this world, so as a director, you’re not sitting in your chair and just pointing at horsehocky. I do VFX shots myself. I’m puppeteering there with them. In every movie, I think, “Okay, this is the one where I finally got to sit down and just point at horsehocky.” It doesn’t happen. The movies get bigger and I’m still there on the floor getting my hands dirty. And that’s really what Ridley and Cameron told me — the only way to make this movie is you have to be involved at every level. These are very handmade movies from their directors, that’s why they’re so unique. This is not a studio movie where you come in, do your thing and there’s a machine going on that knows how to do them.

As you said, each director in the series made their “Alien” movie all their own. What elements does this movie have, that the others may not, because of you?

Well, it’s definitely not just me. Roughly there are six years between the movies, so every movie has come out in a different era of filmmaking, so that’s why they’re so different. But for me, it was really taking it back to its roots. I wanted to travel back not just to the style of the original movies, but to the genre of the original movies. I really wanted to go back to the sheer horror of the first film, and to take those elements of thriller that “Aliens” has, and “Alien 3” has as well. We went to crazy extents to keep it pure to the filmmaking techniques of the first movie. But if anybody’s worried, “Is it going to be too retro?” Don’t worry, 2023 will pour through every window. There’s no way to stop the modernity of filmmaking. And from that combination of the best of the classics and the best of today, then you have something new.

How tough was it to find a balance between the little green computer monitors of “Alien” and the futuristic technology of the more recent films?

I know a lot of people felt like it makes no sense. But I think we make the mistake when we watch the Nostromo and assume that’s how the entire universe looks like. If I decide to make a movie on Earth today, and I go to the Mojave Desert and I take an old truck because a guy drives a Chevy, if you’re an alien, you’re going to go, “That’s what the world looks like.” But it doesn’t mean there’s not a guy in a Tesla in the city, which would be the “Prometheus” ship. The first movie is truck drivers in a beat-up truck. “Prometheus” is the ship of the richest man in the world.

It’s no secret that the first two films are revered. Not asking you to trash talk any of the other movies, but were there any pitfalls, perceived or actual, in the execution of these stories that you were careful to avoid as you were writing and directing this movie?

I think what happens when you come into franchise like this one is that everybody has a different idea of what this is or must be. When I did “Evil Dead,” some people thought it was a twist that I played it with a straight face, because for a lot of people that is a comedy. But if you saw the first one when you were a kid, like I did, there’s nothing funny about it. In the “Alien” franchise, there were places that the directors and Ridley were more interested in that necessarily wasn’t related to the horror of it all. But for me, “Alien” works at its best when it’s scary, and when it’s action like “Aliens.” The horror and the shock of that world is personally what I liked the most.

For those who cant wait, watch this flick till then -

Last edited:
Another pointless sequel for a great 80s movie? :shake:

OTOH, if it stars Winona Ryder, Michael Keaton and Jenna Ortega, it might still be worth checking out...

Alien: Romulus (sequel Remus?)

Can Alien: Romulus return the space saga to its chestbursting glory years?

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story showed how to repair damage in a sci-fi franchise but Romulus director Fede Alvarez must bring his A-game

Back in the day, if you accidentally created a giant plot hole in your science fiction saga, you were done, your goose droid cooked, with nothing to look forward to but the prospect of future generations looking back scornfully at your ever-sullied work of cinema.

But then along came Star Wars: Rogue One, a movie that somehow made sense of all the really silly bits in 1977’s Star Wars, such as the climactic sequence in which Luke Skywalker managed to blow up the Death Star in his tiny little star fighter. It turned out (albeit nearly 40 years later) that this wasn’t a plot hole but an ingenious deliberate flaw in the giant planet-killing monstrosity’s system planted there by Imperial scientist Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen), because he was miffed that the Empire had forced him to build it in the first place.

And it worked. Rogue One is a good movie, possibly the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy. All because somebody decided to generate a new storyline and put a galactic-sized sticky plaster over something that had annoyed fans for generations. Everybody wins!

Could this be a fresh creative template for film-makers seeking to rescue other popular sci-fi sagas that have fallen into disrepute? Is it really possible to fix someone else’s movie by incorporating its abject failures into one’s own, glorious latter-day entry?

We could be about to find out, given the imminent arrival in cinemas of the (frankly exciting) new Alien episode: Romulus. The debut trailer suggests a return to the minimalistic, visceral slasher-in-space thrills of Ridley Scott’s 1979 Alien – director Fede Alvarez has even been hinting he has something up his sleeve to equal the chestburster scene – but with a side-order of something that will feed into the veteran British film-maker’s ill-fated latterday return to the same universe, the overly portentous, ultimately damned 2012 and 2017 entries Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

“[Romulus] … is connected to all of them,” Alvarez told the Hollywood Reporter. “I love all of those movies. I didn’t want to omit or ignore any of them when it comes to connections at a story level, character level, technology level, and creature level. There’s always connections from Alien to Alien: Covenant.”

All great, until we recall that Scott still reigns supreme over the Alien universe, and that if you are an up-and-coming film-maker hoping to be handed the keys to the Nostromo, you had probably better make sure you don’t despoil the big man’s last two celluloid efforts.

Romulus does, though, already have an air of vacuum-sealed, acid-blooded hype around it. The trailer is great, and Alvarez is talking the talk. The new movie will be set between Alien and James Cameron’s more testosterone-fuelled sequel, 1986’s Aliens, which alone gives it a weird (yet irresistible), air of authenticity. There is a feeling that Alvarez really would have to have some nerve to come between two such titans of science fiction cinema and somehow fail to bring his A-game.

That the new movie’s premise is based on a deleted scene that Cameron eventually included in his special edition take on Aliens only makes it more tantalising. “There’s a moment where you see a bunch of kids running around the corridors of this colony. And I thought: ‘Wow, what would it be like for those kids to grow up in a colony that still needs another 50 years to terraform?’” Alvarez told Hollywood Reporter. “So I remember thinking, ‘If I ever tell a story in that world, I would definitely be interested in those kids when they reach their early 20s.’”

From movies based on plot holes, then, to movies based on deleted scenes. If there were ever an even more voracious beastie out there than the xenomorph, it might perhaps be Hollywood itself, which eats everything, including its own detritus.

And yet this one still feels promising, so long as David the Android doesn’t turn up at some point to explain in excruciating detail how he hand-crafted the xenomorphs from genetic plasticine, and we can avoid meeting Scott’s pointlessly prosaic Engineers ever again. If the blimmin’ Predators turn up, or someone tries to bring back a clone of Ellen Ripley, we’ll know in about five seconds that something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom