Which Game of Thrones character(s) do you like/dislike the most?

you kidding?
That's what I wanted to ask.
Joffrey just was 0dimensional in my view. I haven't read any of the books though.
Still he was eerily realistic. Compared to some villains in some other universes who've been made so "many-dimensional" they become a huge stretch.
My favorite hated example being the Governor in TWD.

Also, read the damn books! Or do you seriously think this is the one and only case in history where the show surpasses the source literature?

hey it was only attempted murder and he did it for love, so he should be totally forgiven, right? ;) Or are we talking about another child that I seem to have forgotten? Besides, as far as child-murderers go, the Hound is one too....
The Hound is certainly a child murderer, but neither the Hound nor the writers have any illusions in that regard.

"He ran. But not very fast."
It is a good point that the Hound does not just not harbor any illusions (which I actually think applies to many characters in a world as dark as this). More that even the good that does exist he doesn't give much of a crap about.
Still the Hound is intriguing. An ass, but still fun to watch. Perhaps also because his assery is outright. And there is also an under-dog-feeling to him despite his strength and threatening composure (which puts him very much apart from his bigger brother) and he doesn't seem to have any aspirations.

It is a good point that the Hound does not just not harbor any illusions (which I actually think applies to many characters in a world as dark as this).
What interests me about the Hound isn't just that he has no illusions about his moral standing, but that he has no illusions about himself at all. Everybody else buys into some sort of self-mythology, whether or not those mythologies involve them being particularly nice or heroic- and in fact, it seems that the more cynical the characters are, the more elaborate their self-mythologies seem to become. The Hound is almost unique in that he simply accepts that he is what he seems to be, a hired killer. The only other important-ish character with this blunt self-awareness is probably Bronn, who is basically the Hound without the bitterness and angst.

I think that Arya and Tyrion are both heading in this direction as well, Arya as she begins to realise that the Starks are not going to achieve any sort of righteous vengeance, and Tyrion as he realised that the universe is absolutely indifferent to the wily underdog.

I also find Daenerys interesting for the opposite reason, because she has absolutely bought into a grandiose self-mythology, but in her case it seems to be coming true. The cocktail of dragons, charisma and just a pinch of crazy seems to go a long way.

x-post

I think we simply are in the pointy-elbows-area.
I agree she is hot and I am fully fully satisfied with her level of hottiness.
But then again, there are hotter ones.

Good call on Robb's Wife. Forgot about her. I think she even beats the red-haired witch.
That is funny. I feel the exact why you feel about Margaery, except with Robb's wife.

hey it was only attempted murder and he did it for love, so he should be totally forgiven, right? ;) Or are we talking about another child that I seem to have forgotten? Besides, as far as child-murderers go, the Hound is one too....

I don't like the Hound either, even by the latest episodes (although obviously he now is less of a creep), but with a brother like that one couldn't really expect him to be a good guy and still be alive.

That's what I wanted to ask.

Natalie Doner isn't ugly by any stretch, but I always thought there's something off about her. The eyes are too far apart and it creeps me out.

I don't like the Hound either, even by the latest episodes (although obviously he now is less of a creep), but with a brother like that one couldn't really expect him to be a good guy and still be alive.

actually, I like the Hound, it's just that I found it weird to cite attempted child murder in jaimie as a reason to dislike him and then like the Hound...But TF's latter posts cleared that up for me :)

x-post

I think we simply are in the pointy-elbows-area.
I agree she is hot and I am fully fully satisfied with her level of hottiness.
But then again, there are hotter ones.

Exactly, she's hot...just not as hot as my mind pictured her....basically the problem winner mentioned :)

Btw, i read on wiki that Dr.Martin claims the tv series is set to chronologically overtake the actual printed books at book 6 (and supposedly with at least one more book left to do). Not that i expect to be watching up to then, but it will be a bit strange, even for this series.

Dislike: Jamie Lannister. They spent all this time trying to build him up as a sympathetic character, but I just keep thinking: this man is a child-murderer. And I seem to be the only one who remembers that.
In the books, his arc is portrayed a lot better. He doesn't randomly kill his cousin while imprisoned, for one. He also doesn't rape Cersei in the sept, it's consensual.

And you have to remember, it's a redemption arc. He's trying to change himself into a better man and move past his pushing-children-out-of-windows ways.

The Sansa storyline in the series is now pretty much where it's in the books. If the next two episodes feature her at all there's a good chance he has already overtaken her book counterpart. Daenerys' plot won't quite get there during this season, but is also dangerously close. If you take into account that Martin's publisher has said the next part definnitely won't be published before 2015 it is almost certain that season five will be in large parts new for the readers.

@Zack
That a moral thing as redemption plays a role is IMO not conveyed at all by the series. He certainly seems changed by his experiences. Less arrogant and witty-defensive, more grounded. So more likable. But not necessarily profoundly better or even caught in moral qualms.
After all, the good parts of his character which stand out at the moment - being able to care (the giant lady warrior) or more specifically caring for his bother aren't actually new.
He made it clear in the bath scene that he also killed the king out of carrying. He always kinda looked out for his bother.
Okay, perhaps he is now more consciousness of his good parts and less dismissive of others by allowing himself to be more conscious of it. But I wouldn't put it beyond him to again kill a child if necessary without hesitation. At least I saw nothing which makes me think that.

By book five a lot of character ate away my liking for them. I can only stomach Victarion now because he does what he says even if he is as dumb as a brick.

@Zack
That a moral thing as redemption plays a role is IMO not conveyed at all by the series. He certainly seems changed by his experiences. Less arrogant and witty-defensive, more grounded. So more likable. But not necessarily profoundly better or even caught in moral qualms.
After all, the good parts of his character which stand out at the moment - being able to care (the giant lady warrior) or more specifically caring for his bother aren't actually new.
He made it clear in the bath scene that he also killed the king out of carrying. He always kinda looked out for his bother.
Okay, perhaps he is now more consciousness of his good parts and less dismissive of others by allowing himself to be more conscious of it. But I wouldn't put it beyond him to again kill a child if necessary without hesitation. At least I saw nothing which makes me think that.
To be fair, now that I think about it a lot of his redemption arc takes place in A Feast For Crows, which the TV show hasn't caught up to yet (at least not in King's Landing).

Yeah, at this point any redemption arc is still in the mopey, reflective stage. Jaimie's proven that he's capable of redemption by achieving it in his relationship to Brienne, but as Terx says, this could be seen as an extension of his established tendency to look out for his own. He's still yet to take a serious swing at being a good person-in-general.

But I wouldn't put it beyond him to again kill a child if necessary without hesitation. At least I saw nothing which makes me think that.

This is an interesting question!

I don't know if you read the books so (light) spoiler:

Spoiler :

For one, he threatens to catapult Edmure's unborn son over the walls of Riverrun, but I get the impression that he says that only as a threat and wouldn't actually go through with it. He even mules to himself about how Tywin would've gone through with the threat and questions if he is his father.

He also burns Cersei's letter without even looking at its content and when he is sparring with Ser Ilyn Payne his exclaims his newly found lack of regard for Cersei. Considering he pushed Bran out the window for "love", and that aspect of his character has so significantly changed, I really question Jaime's willingness to murder a child without hesitation.

Top Bottom