Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's like the accomplishment badge you get in Frogatto for trying to eat every single type of enemy, which means in practice that you were mashing keys at random over the game and learning by trial-and-error i.e. getting yourself hilariously killed left and right.

By way of contrast, I recently finished Marvel: Agent Carter, which was excellent... well... let me rephrase... the first season was excellent. The second season was... not as excellent. I won't say it sucked, because the acting by the main characters was pretty strong, for what it was and what they were going for, but the problem really, was what they were going for as a show, in the first place... which was, apparently, camp and gimmicks. The first problem was that for some reason they decided that they needed to sexy-up the already incredibly sexy Agent Carter. Putting her in a bunch of sun-dresses and all kinds of other silly casual dresses that were completely out of character for a badass like her. It just made no sense other than someone saying "Hey she's pretty... let's do more of that... lets remind everyone that she's a gurl!" It was inexplicable, particulary since the season one Agent Carter was already super sexy, just in a very sharp, very no-nonsense, boss-lady, business suit kind of way. The first season Peggy Carter was compelling. Her story and struggle to prove herself, get over/out of Cap's shadow etc., was engaging, and the plot itself, which focused on Peggy saving Howard, was well done, with plenty of thrills and cliffhangers and twists.

Then there was the Stark character Howard Stark, (Tony's dad) was so well done in the first season, he basically channeled Roger from Mad Men, who is the older Tony's Dad in the MCU movies. He was such a perfect blend of Tony's dad and Robert Downey Junior's Tony, that it was seamless seeing where Tony got it from, which was what they were going for... but the Howard Stark in the second was a shadow of his former self... pretty much reduced to a campy caricature of a stock time-period cad... complete with a new cheezy accent... I almost couldn't tell if he was supposed to be joking around with that accent or if he was really supposed to talk that way normally. It was James T. Kirk level exaggerated and corny... without the James T Kirk charm.

The Jarvis character was similarly mishandled in the second season. In the first season he was complex, mysterious and at the same time so familiar, and it really connected nicely with the spirit and role of the AI Jarvis / Vision that you get in the MCU. But then similar to Howard, the second season reduces him to a C3PO-like slapstick character... it was just a bad look.

My overall impression is that they took a great show, with a great story and great characters and actors... reached what should have been the conclusion... seriously at the end of season one it was over... there was really nothing more that needed to be said... and instead they tried to squeeze another season out of it by draining out all the rich broth and leaving just the gimmicks. The second season aside, it was a good show. I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
On the bright side, this may be a unique accomplishment that has never been done before.
ACHIEVEMENT!: "Oh it's quite simple really... we're just going to show you some films..."

Watch all 8 episodes without the use of eye-opening clips

0.07% of all users have this achievement

Shoulda watched Runaways....
I did... or rather my wife did, so I had little choice. Marvel: Runaways was OK... certainly better than Inhumans but a little... Sexy Vampire'ish for my taste... it was right up my wife's alley though.

Although I will admit that Liz Hurley's villain was pretty good, not to mention absolutely eye-popping in her various outfits.

my wife did, so I had little choice.
Man, you don't set this kind of precedent.
Sommerswerd said:
Sexy Vampire'ish for my taste... it was right up my wife's alley though.
She's the Catholic one, right? Just checking.

She's the Catholic one, right? Just checking.
Right but if you're "checking" you'd remember that I was the one who had to do the explaining about Palm Sunday and Easter, so...

Also... what's more "Catholic", pop-culture-wise... than Sexy Vampires? Blood consumption, blood sacrifice, holy water, immortality, chosen ones, Angels, demons and everything in between, heaven, hell, ancient tomes, miraculous powers, resurrections, sacred relics, mystic crosses, armageddon always looming, supernatural rituals... and so on... it's like the stuff is written by Catholics, for Catholics.

Last edited:
Right but if you're "checking" you'd remember that I was the one who had to do the explaining about Palm Sunday and Easter, so...

Also... what's more "Catholic", pop-culture-wise... than Sexy Vampires? Blood consumption, blood sacrifice, holy water, immortality, chosen ones, Angel's, demons and everything in between, heaven, hell, ancient tomes, miraculous powers, resurrections, sacred relics, mystic crosses, armageddon always looming, supernatural rituals... and so on... it's like the stuff is written by Catholics, for Catholics.

Don't blame Takhisis. He became an adult with Pope Benedict, or as we North Americans know him as, Emperor Palpatine. Star Wars is the Catholic icon for him, not sexy vampires.

Apparently, Inhumans might get a reboot.....

Critical Consensus: Phoebe Waller-Bridge

(Amazon Prime Video, BBC America, HBO) Phoebe Waller-Bridge, right, entered the new year as the toast of Hollywood. The writer and actress created two critically acclaimed series, “Crashing” and “Fleabag,” the latter of which won a surprising three Emmys last year. This success helped propel Ms. Waller-Bridge’s star.

Whether she’s creating her own work or executive producing, she is generally considered an artist with a magic touch. A trio of works from the writer-actress are ready to premier this week. The most anticipated is “Run,” a black-comedy thriller created by Vicky Jones, a frequent collaborator who directed Ms. Waller-Bridge

on stage in “Fleabag.” Ms. Waller-Bridge is executive-producing the series, which arrives on HBO Sunday. It stars Merritt Wever and Domhnall Gleeson as two ex-lovers from college who made a pact to reunite and run away together and actually do. Also Sunday, “Killing Eve,” a thriller Ms. Waller-Bridge created, returns two weeks

earlier than planned to kick off its third season.

Finally, for anyone who wants to dive into the Waller-Bridge archives, a recording of the play, “Fleabag”—on which the TV series is based—begins streaming on Amazon Friday to raise money for coronavirus charities.

Huge RANT: the new ‘stay-at-home’ programming has seen my daily doses of Daria (and also Ren & Stimpy) replaced by endless reruns of stand-up comedians. :ack:
Hey, Cat'licks get a pass on not actually knowing the tenets of Cat'licism. It's like 'Muricans and speaking English.
Sommerswerd said:
Also... what's more "Catholic", pop-culture-wise... than Sexy Vampires? Blood consumption, blood sacrifice, holy water, immortality, chosen ones, Angels, demons and everything in between, heaven, hell, ancient tomes, miraculous powers, resurrections, sacred relics, mystic crosses, armageddon always looming, supernatural rituals... and so on... it's like the stuff is written by Catholics, for Catholics.
You're forgetting the part about faith and helping the poor and suchlike. It's a bit like Warcraft being The Lord of the Rings without the good parts.
Don't blame Takhisis.
:eek2:
Synsensa said:
He became an adult with Pope Benedict, or as we North Americans know him as, Emperor Palpatine. Star Wars is the Catholic icon for him, not sexy vampires.
LotR is the Catholic icon, dangit.

Finished Season 3 of Ozark a while ago. It's still good but I feel like they should just go ahead and wrap it up... It's gonna be a 5-6 season adventure at this rate and some of the story really seems like it's going off the rails...

I finished season 4 of the Heist. The end of season 3 had a bit of a slow down, but 4 not only picked up the pace, it was tense all the way. I pretty much had to binge it. Pretty awesome show with wonderful characters you get to love and hate. So worth it.

Spoiler :
And damn it. It didn't end. I guess more is coming. I am so ready for it to reach a conclusion. It is excellent!

Money Heist, with The Professor? I've been catching that, myself - about to finish season 2

Money Heist, with The Professor? I've been catching that, myself - about to finish season 2
Yes the Spanish one. Great TV.

where are y'all watching these series, Netflix? I dont recognize the names and I have Direct
the Heist is on Netflix. It is in Spanish with subtitles. I didn't have any issue with them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom