1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

While We Wait: Boredom Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Thlayli, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

But, they DON'T come about for different reasons. Every culture uses that justification, whether they're European or not. and it IS NOT a product of colonialism. Colonialism is an effect, not the cause.

You keep twisting your argument to conform with the criticisms of it, but it won't twist.

2. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

The reason why Eurocentrism exists is because it lead to the USA and USA #1

3. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Sigh. You don't get what I'm saying, no matter how many times I repeat it. Eurocentrism, is only different in any way because European nations made a large effort to colonize other areas of the world.

This is funny, really. Masada was saying that I was racist against non-European cultures, and you are in a way saying the opposite. Neither is true.

4. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

Everyone is a little racist.

Also this is quickly becoming a discussion that has nothing to do with NESing.

5. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Actually, what you said is,

This is what I am saying is wrong.

6. Lord of Elves

I see. I can certainly see where you're coming from, and I think I am saying that, but in a different way than you are. What I'm saying is that Eurocentrism already existed as an inherent effect of culture (exists everywhere), but was greatly accentuated and enlarged by an attitude of "We've come to convert you to Christianity, force our culture upon you, and take your land. Praise Jebus!"

I believe I have clarified what I meant?

7. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

We've come to convert you to Islam, force our culture upon you, and take your land. Praise Allah!

There's absolutely no difference. You are continuing to argue that Europe is "enlarged" in its arrogance, and this continues to be wrong.

8. Adrogans

Adrogans Quiet Laughter...

Go see Avenue Q and it will solve all of this for you.

9. Lord of Elves

You're repeating my words back to me. I'm not arguing that Eurocentrism is any different than anything else. Dear God.

Who do you think you're having this conversation with? It's certainly not me. That's not what I'm saying.

10. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

I don't think even you know what you're saying, mister "cultural memory," but you can get back to me when you do. :p

11. Lord of Elves

I know what I'm saying. I know very well.

Cultural memory: An idea specific to a certain culture or subculture that can be reflected upon an object, place, person or thing. For example, when a large part of Americans think about the "good old days", the image that comes into the mind is of the 1950's. That is specific to Americans. Germans or Japanese certainly wouldn't think of the 1950's as a great period in their history, being so close to the end of the Second World War, and the large rationing going on, whereas America was the richest country in the world at that time.

Eurocentrism: Eurocentrism is in no way different from any other form of centrism other than the fact that it has the added factor of colonialism. It is not special, it is not unique, it is different. All forms of centrism are different, as are the cultures they result from.

12. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

You're confusing me more and more. :p And yourself, I think. Going back to that argumentative contortions thing.

I think it might be simpler to say that none of them are different, that they all operate in the exact same way, and that the Euros just happen to be the one which we immediately identify due to our European origin, language, and background.

13. Lord of Elves

All forms of centrism are the same in that they espouse the belief that something is somehow superior to something else, but they all take different forms, and express themselves in different ways. It's different as in two twins, one is wearing a hoodie, the other is wearing a t-shirt.

Different, the same way all governments are different, but similar because they all have a goal to govern, either through force and corruption, or justly.

Would you prefer me treating this like a legal dissertation, and listing everything I say in such a manner?

14. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Nah I just like messing with you. :p

15. Lord of Elves

Well that's relieving. Since all sammiches in ICNESIV have been redistributed, I've taken my sub here. Who wants a piece? :D

16. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Thl, stop playing with the newbs.

17. spryllino

spryllino Deity

I'm very glad that the last few pages weren't all in the Alternative Timeline Experiment thread!

18. Lord of Elves

Indeed. That would have been the most off-topic spam-fest evar. Unless there's a recorded incident of people talking about penguins or something in the middle of a nuclear war NES.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Thlayli, this would be a good idea. The basic rules of the thread should be in post 1.

Moderator Action: In other news: Please keep this thread at least tangentially related to NESing and not OT.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

AWESOME IDEA.

Penguin-related discussion is down quite a bit as of late, incidentally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.