While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look guy just because baseball game preview has been up for 1 year and 4 days you don't have to be such a hater.

Jesus Christ, I just realized that Chris Roberts is a paragon of productivity in comparison to this place, and I don't even care about Star Citizen. I take it back, hate yourselves.

You know, I was gonna act all indignant because you lumped the whole forum into this one category, but thinking about it, I'd have to agree. The deadness is just getting amusing.

All snark aside: No, I have a strong preference for not moving it (hence why it hasn't been moved). I'd rather see a) more people here and b) more living, breathing NESes here. I like the people I work with here and I [maybe used to] like the culture.

But I do struggle to understand why we, collectively, have such a hard time getting anything running sustainably.

Welp, just as it was before, we have a classic case of internet community decay! And I joined in far to late. I think I'm just gonna...Wait...No game=?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SON OF A-! WHY GOD, WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Stream of consciousness brought to you by BoredCW inc.

You're all an awful load of pessimists. If you're all so anxious about the state of things, start some new NESes and update them regularly; things are, and always have been as far as I can see, like that. Posting joke threads and moaning about how the community is dying only, well, helps to reinforce the impression that the community is dying - which I don't really think it is anyway.

But I do struggle to understand why we, collectively, have such a hard time getting anything running sustainably.
The simple answer is that people legitimately just don't care. Not really. Not more than paying lip service. Specific examples would come across as just pointing fingers, but suffice it to say more or less every single time a serious effort has been made to try and do something to improve the community in some fashion, it's fallen through, because other than whoever the motivator for it is and (maybe) a hardcore group of followers, nobody cares all that much. The process has repeated itself time and again.

Ultimately, all progress here rests in the hands of what George Bernard Shaw termed "unreasonable men," (I don't feel the need to modify his remarks for modern times given we all have a good idea what the gender ratio is here) and what lies outside their visions or expertise simply doesn't get done. And when they wear down from the burdens or lose interest or whatever, that's it. The rewards of this process have been discussed before; in so far as they exist, they're more sentimental in terms of (a small group) of other people reciprocating a (fraction of) that dedication, or ones borne of a feeling of personal accomplishment. Realistically, you have to be of a certain mind and a little bit of a masochist to get things out of this. This in a day when making potato salad can get you $55,000 on Kickstarter. Imagine how much you could get if you monetized something like N3S in the right way. But I digress.

Everybody wants a free lunch, nobody wants to make sandwiches. It's just that simple.

There are people less exhausted and less disillusioned than me who can and will point out the supreme hypocrisy of the #nes-borne clique of Symphony D., Crezth and others complaining that the community is dying and that NESes are failing while actively mocking new NESes and new NESers behind the veil which is the chat server. If there is a toxic environment that frustrates or prohibits new projects you have no one to blame but yourselves.

I think a reminder about the main purpose of this thread is in order. Here is the first post of the thread:

Welcome to the latest While We Wait. This is the thread where all of your NESing related posts that don't belong anywhere else go. Please be courteous and obey forum rules.

And now a word from our friendly neighborhood mod, Birdjaguar:

Please post responsibly; if you notice things getting out of hand, you may report the post in question.

The WWW thread is a friendly place to discuss topics that concern NESing. This thread is NOT a place to attack others, flame, spam, or discuss things that would be better suited for the OT forum.

Also,

This thread is for topics/posting related to NESing, but that would not fit into another thread. If you feel the need to spam/post off topic, we have an entire subforum provided for just such posting. Use it. Spamming this thread, or for that matter other NES threads, will be dealt with.

The last WWW thread can be found here

Post away, and Happy NESing! :)

Spoiler :
Not that I think it will be a problem, but feel free to comment on anything you'd like to see in/eliminate from the OP

That said, I am open to discussing the needs of this community and coming to a solution that is fair for all and fits into the broader purposes of this site.

It is natural to want to have off topic discussions with the posters that you are familiar with and play NESs with, but remember that – like it or not – you are part of a broader community and a larger site. We have an OT forum for a lot of what is posted in the WWW thread.

I'd like to ask that we get back to a place where we are closer to what this thread was intended for and reduce the off topic discussions and other spam that has become commonplace. Use this thread to discuss NESing related activities.

If there is a need and an interest for other threads for other specific purposes, let's discuss those now.

All snark aside: No, I have a strong preference for not moving it (hence why it hasn't been moved). I'd rather see a) more people here and b) more living, breathing NESes here. I like the people I work with here and I [maybe used to] like the culture.

Because we're all ageing and have jobs / other priorities, and we hate newcomers I guess.

It was a genuine question, if there is a NES alternative out there I'd be interested to know...

In the meantime this forum seems as 'dead' as its ever been / as dead as we agree it to be.

I think it's unfair to shift the blame onto Symphony. He's already pointed out, numerous times, why he's not modding, and I think it's legitimate for him to point out problems, given that we (or at least I) know exactly what kind of NES he wants -- that a bunch of people want, for that matter -- and no one seems to be arsed to start it.

There are people less exhausted and less disillusioned than me who can and will point out the supreme hypocrisy of the #nes-borne clique of Symphony D., Crezth and others complaining that the community is dying and that NESes are failing while actively mocking new NESes and new NESers behind the veil which is the chat server. If there is a toxic environment that frustrates or prohibits new projects you have no one to blame but yourselves.

I haven't seen Symphony or Crezth on #nes for weeks, possibly months. :p

So why are you here, Symphony? :p
Maybe I enjoy spoiling your "ostracizers are evil and we should all be friends" playtime by forcing you to understand that being inclusive means having to deal with people who don't agree with you or share similar values. Maybe I don't value my potential and time at what they're actually worth on the free market. Maybe, just maybe, in some twisted little way, I'm just disappointed in you all since I know you could achieve quite a lot if you had the slightest bit of motivation and discipline. Maybe this mirrors my own mental state in some way. Or maybe I really just like raining on your parade. It's a real mystery, isn't it? Don't let it keep you up at night.

Last time I was on chat was 77 days ago. Last time Crezth was on was 94 days ago. Pretty sure the last logon of Dachs wasn't actually him. So no, actually, unless you'd like to presuppose The Cabal, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Please do feel free to blame shadowy forces of darkness for your own inability to say, even acknowledge LENES is dead and you killed it, though.

Every time I pop back into the NESing community I see Symphony D. continuously on the sidelines, complaining without contributing.

There are NESers, and then there are WWWers, I guess. He would be a WWWer. I have always thought this community would be better served without this thread, as NESers would have to actually partake in NESes rather than banter in what has simply become a spam chat room... Or they could find something else to do. Either way those individuals and the community would be better served.

I think a #nesdnd thread could serve the community BSmith and I'm seriously sorry about my own WWW thread. I like to think this forum has spurts of stupidity every once in a while and that's when , imo, you're very welcome to crack down on us, as mods, and make sure we self-direct properly for then another six months or so.

Every time I pop back into the NESing community I see Symphony D. continuously on the sidelines, complaining without contributing.

There are NESers, and then there are WWWers, I guess. He would be a WWWer. I have always thought this community would be better served without this thread, as NESers would have to actually partake in NESes rather than banter in what has simply become a spam chat room... Or they could find something else to do. Either way those individuals and the community would be better served.
It sure is amazing how easily people resort to attacking the messenger when they don't like the message. Weren't you the guy who was talking about how this was a free market and people could choose to partake or not? Yeah, actually, you were, allow me the liberty of quoting you precisely:

The free market of NES is such as there is no coercion or force requiring us to spend our time here. We voluntarily agree to the rules of the forum, voluntarily agree to the rules of the individual NESes, and we may stop participating at any time we wish. A free market is a market where there is no gun pointed at us telling us that we can't voluntarily trade with people under terms of our own that we would otherwise mutually agree to.
I don't see anything in there about this "contribute or your opinion is null and avoid and you're just a whiner" attitude you've suddenly taken up, Amon. Tell me, how do you reconcile those two ideas? Oh, what's that, they're irreconcilable? Yeah, that's right, they are. I am contributing, under my own terms. I am identifying the problem and speaking the harsh truth that no one wants to hear. By all means, continue with your little character assassination though. It's cute to watch you sell your supposed ideology out not 4 days after sticking your flag on it.

e: Oh, yeah, and I forgot, if you had a modicum of respect, you'd have already noticed that I voiced the very same critique of this thread thread that you yourself reiterated. But I guess you were too busy flexing to take notice, huh? Here it is, for your edification and enlightenment:

Denying posters a safe place to faff about is good because it means they'll be forced to spend more time on actual games. Never considered that, did you, terrorists?
In point of fact, I've been critiquing this thread regularly for two weeks now. Way to make friends and influence people, buddy. A+ job.

Under your own terms seems to be "Only troll the WWW thread". Good terms to contribute by, imo.

All I'm saying is that this thread seems to be an outlet for those who would rather not contribute to the NESing community. There is a whole separate section of these forums for this sort of thing called the "Off-Topic", as the moderator pointed out. I have always believed that the WWW threads have been a distraction from the actual point of this section of the civfanatics forum.

Wah-wow-wee-wah, somebody show Borat what he's won!

An argument with a person who is literally agreeing with his entire premise. Take it away, Johnny!

Well at least I don't got no money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom